MRQII is now "wayfarer"

Bleddyn

10% of skill = first digit

20% of skill = 2 x first digit, add 1% if second digit is 5 or over.

05% of skill = first digit divided by 2, round down.

Skills over 100% are left as an exercise for the reader.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snort.

Just use 10% critical and write stat roll percentages down.

Math? Anybody can do grammar school arithmetic. Can't they?

Nope. I have a player in my group who would quit roleplaying if there were any more complex calculation that addition and subtraction, even the 10% crits in MRQ2 make him nervous.

They cant divide or multiply by 2... What makes you think they can multiply by 20? (i HOPE 5 is fine)

OK to test for a critical, multiply the roll by 10 and double it. They won't know 'doubling' is the same as multiplying... ;)

(I would say 'and halve it' for specials - but that'd get us back into rounding...:()

I have a player in my group who would quit roleplaying if there were any more complex calculation that addition and subtraction, even the 10% crits in MRQ2 make him nervous.

The worst offender in my group is a well-qualified accountant... :7

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

The worst offender in my group is a well-qualified accountant... :7

Ours is an architect.

He makes a roll, says what his skill is and waits for us to work out how well he has done.

Actually, what I tend to do is have them roll the dice and if it looks like it could be a special/critical then work it out as a roll of 70 for an 80% skill doesn't need any calculation.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

They cant divide or multiply by 2... What makes you think they can multiply by 20? (i HOPE 5 is fine).

Bottom Line: BRP is not for the faint of math!!! ;) ;) ;).

PS: I stand corrected, im preety sure they can, they just feel its too much hassle.

Then maybe they shouldn't be playing. Really, if someone thinks multiplying by 5 is too much hassle they are either too lazy or too stupid. I'm suprised they can put up with the bother of showing up at the gaming table. C'mon.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Guest Vile Traveller

Then maybe they shouldn't be playing. Really, if someone thinks multiplying by 5 is too much hassle they are either too lazy or too stupid. I'm suprised they can put up with the bother of showing up at the gaming table. C'mon.

They probably shouldn't be allowed outside without supervision. Swoon.gif

But see, regardless of what professional math-intensive tasks they complete successfully by day, your players arrive at your table in relaxation mode. Their math minds are turned off. They just want to roll the dice, munch some pizza, and clobber some goblins. Calculator? Charts? Rulebook? But ... that's what the GM is for!!!

That's what I had to do when I taught my teen and pre-teen players how to play 30 years ago. Why would it be any different now? ;D Besides, it gives you the advantage. If they're not paying attention, you can have anything happen regardless of how the funny colored polygons roll. >:>

They probably shouldn't be allowed outside without supervision. Swoon.gif

Okay but where to draw the line?

Who does one ban from the table (or leaving the house unsupervised :))

Someone who can't (or won't do mathematics)?

Someone who is rubbish or dull at narration?

Someone who struggles to come up with new or imaginative character concepts?

.... or ideas?

.... or solutions to problems?

Mathematically (or procedurally mathematically) I've no doubt that 1/5 or 1/20 of a skill ain't that hard. But is it fun? If it is for a person or people then great. If not are we really saying that they are a poor excuse for a human being or that they should not play BRP? Really?

Albert Einstein - If you want your children to be bright, read them Fairy Tales.

If you want them to be brilliant, read them even more Fairy Tales.

<admittedly there are several similar if different in detail versions and that may not be your particular favourite and I didn't hearit from him first hand but you get the point I am sure>

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

There's only one guy in my group who's particularly bad but he's new to roleplaying anyway. He's played about 20 sessions of a medieval militia game using the Karma rules and that's it so we tend to cut him some slack.

"Not gods - Englishmen. The next best thing."

Guest Vile Traveller

Okay but where to draw the line?
At people who turn up to a BRP game not willing to multiply by 5. ;)

Seriously, why is this even an issue? If you have a bunch of players for whom the rules are too complicated, run a different game. Or use Stormbringer or MRQ2. BRP is by far one of the easiest and most intuitive "crunchy" systems out there. If people can't or won't handle it, why try to force a square peg into a round hole? If players don't like the game I'm running, I run a different game or find different players (depending on whether I prefer the players or the system!). Everyone at the table is or should be there to have fun as a group, not to get all moody about multiplying by 5.

At people who turn up to a BRP game not willing to multiply by 5. ;)

Seriously, why is this even an issue? If you have a bunch of players for whom the rules are too complicated, run a different game. Or use Stormbringer or MRQ2. BRP is by far one of the easiest and most intuitive "crunchy" systems out there. If people can't or won't handle it, why try to force a square peg into a round hole? If players don't like the game I'm running, I run a different game or find different players (depending on whether I prefer the players or the system!)....

or give them a chart :)

I've stayed out of this debate because I think it's silly: Do what you need to have fun.

And we've move a long way from the original post

Stafford and Mongoose split today

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

How will the ENC and fatigue rules be applied or adjusted? :7

Someone willing to wear a linothorax into battle is obviously a hero, and there

are no encumbrance and fatigue for heroes. However, I think we would need

hybris rules for them, perhaps similar to sanity rules ... ;)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

But see, regardless of what professional math-intensive tasks they complete successfully by day, your players arrive at your table in relaxation mode. Their math minds are turned off. They just want to roll the dice, munch some pizza, and clobber some goblins. Calculator? Charts? Rulebook? But ... that's what the GM is for!!!

That's what I had to do when I taught my teen and pre-teen players how to play 30 years ago. Why would it be any different now? ;D Besides, it gives you the advantage. If they're not paying attention, you can have anything happen regardless of how the funny colored polygons roll. >:>

Then how do those players expect to survive in a campaign?

GM: You see some trolls on the other side of the bridge.

Player: We rush the bridge an attack!

GM: Are you sure? Don't you want to count and see how many trolls there are, first?

Player: Count? I have to count? What sort of game is this! I have to do math?!! What, did we loose a war or something?

Really, if crticals and specials are too much, how do you expect them to do things like track hit point, fatigue, magic point, ENC, weapon ranges, or even handle pocket money. Not to mention doing a little thinking during the game.

I just ran a game with a guy who was so lazy, he didn't want to pick up the eraser to update the skill scores on his character sheet, and would just write the new scores next to or over the old ones. Everyobdy kept telling him what to roll, when, and why. They took care of his modfiers, hit points, property, everything. After six months people started to relaize that the guy didn't contribute anything.

So, anybody want to tell me why we have to dumb things down for the "Reverend Jims"?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.