Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

Good news!!!

Both qualities look the same on your pictures. Is there a major difference?

The greens in the top book do look a little more vivid in the first picture.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

If I just buy the printed book, what am I missing from the digital version?

The digital extras.

It may be possible for me to manually send the extras, but it's not automatic.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

I assume you still have access to the other digital extras, but I have no way of confirming that.

Oh right, is that the way that it's supposed to work? You buy the print edition, and you get some of the digital content? That's cool. I'll give it a go (when I'm back from holiday, don't want books getting wet on the doorstep).

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Oh right, is that the way that it's supposed to work? You buy the print edition, and you get some of the digital content? That's cool. I'll give it a go (when I'm back from holiday, don't want books getting wet on the doorstep).

No, I updated my answer. I'm told the POD gives no access to any digital content.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

No, I updated my answer. I'm told the POD gives no access to any digital content.

In this particular case, Ships and Shores of southern Genertela,  the choices are

PDF $24.95

Hardcover, Premium Color Book (8.5" x 11")$94.95

Hardcover, Standard Color Book (8.5" x 11")$59.95

PDF + Hardcover, Premium Color Book (8.5" x 11")  $119.90

PDF + Hardcover, Standard Color Book (8.5" x 11") $84.90

While the premium color  print price looks high, that is basically because Ships and Shores is a very large book. We also have to consider both the facts that

-  this is Print On Demand (a print run of one just for you or me)

- and  the number of pages to be printed.  Ships and Shores is 397 pages including cover in its PDF version 18.  Compare that to 168 pages for The Lightbringers print version, which Chaosium prints in a long print run and sells for $39.99...

So for the hard copy only, comparing premium color POD to Chaosium's and treating each cover as just another page,

Ships and Shores is  24 U.S. cents  per page in premium color

and The Lightbringers is  24 U.S cents per page print industry standard professional 4-color process color printing,

Plus shipping in both cases if you mail order it.  (And I don't have a local game store that sells Chaosium's Runequest line on the shelf, so that's not an option for me.)

I am getting a great price for a POD.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 2

5 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Maps. Mirrorsea poster, and deck plans.  And anything else added in the future,

My only planned 'addition' at present is the next update for typo correction of the PDF. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I hope that people will be publishing oceanic adventures now that you have provided all this background material.  I certainly have thoughts about that.  We already have the cult of Ygg in the back of The Lightbringers,, and probably this winter we will have the water cults book from Chaosium.   We do currently have the East Isles in PDF through Jonstown Compendium.  That's a lot of tools.

On 5/23/2024 at 2:13 AM, M Helsdon said:

My only planned 'addition' at present is the next update for typo correction of the PDF. 

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Spelling / typing
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

While the premium color  print price looks high, that is basically because Ships and Shores is a very large book. We also have to consider both the facts that

-  this is Print On Demand (a print run of one just for you or me)

- and  the number of pages to be printed.  Ships and Shores is 397 pages including cover in its PDF version 18.  Compare that to 168 pages for The Lightbringers print version, which Chaosium prints in a long print run and sells for $39.99...

So for the hard copy only, comparing premium color POD to Chaosium's and treating each cover as just another page,

and The Lightbringers is  24 U.S cents per page print industry standard professional 4-color process color printing,

Plus shipping in both cases if you mail order it.  (And I don't have a local game store that sells Chaosium's Runequest line on the shelf, so that's not an option for me.)

I am getting a great price for a POD.

Huh, I never thought to compare the two. Thanks! This is interesting and useful information.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

17 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

That's very interesting. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

I hope that people will be publishing oceanic adventures now that you have provided all this background material.  I certainly have thoughts about that.  We already have the cult of Ygg in the back of The Lightbringers,, and probably this winter we will have the water cults book from Chaodium.   We do currently have the East Isles in PDF through Jonstown Compendium.  That's a lot of tools.

There's a lot you can do just along the Genertelan coast, or just Choralinthor Bay.

2 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

... just Choralinthor Bay.

egads, *ALL* the Sixths of Holy Country.
So much variety!

And then if you just go the next layer outward, to the adjoining polities... 
*boggles*
I don't expect to live long enough to do all that gaming, not in the depth I'd like to.

C'es ne pas un .sig

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 2:35 PM, M Helsdon said:

There's a lot you can do just along the Genertelan coast, or just Choralinthor Bay.

True.  I have just run one last night.  I think that is my second encounter with Pirates in the bay.  Unfortunately both are short, not a whole night's play at all.  Just incidents associated with trading trips across the bay.   Maybe if I produce several I can combine them for JC.  

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Spelling / typing

I am working on an art book of Mark Smylie's art, featuring many but not all the pictures from Ships & Shores, covers, and preparatory drawings. It will be about the same size as Visions of Myth, and probably only available as a POD. This gives an opportunity to present many of the 'half-page' pictures as full-page pictures, affording a better view of the extensive detail.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Myrkvil said:

This has been an astounding project - not only the wealth of content inside, but the fact that it contains at least *two* small art books amount of illustrations... phew!

There is art in Ships & Shores that isn't in the art books - I'm trying to keep their page count under control. The book of Mark's art will include a picture from my current project as a preview. There are a few other extras.

• Like 2

Martin I picked up the book in Melbourne this weekend and have looked at all the art, as is my wont. It’s beautiful, especially your own illustrations, which you have kept very quiet about. Massive congrats. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BlankMarkyB said:

Martin I picked up the book in Melbourne this weekend and have looked at all the art, as is my wont. It’s beautiful, especially your own illustrations, which you have kept very quiet about. Massive congrats. 

Thank you for your kind comments. Pleased you like the book.

The contents of 𝑽𝒐𝒚𝒂𝒈𝒆𝒔 - 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑮𝒍𝒐𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏 𝑨𝒓𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝑴𝒂𝒓𝒌 𝑺𝒎𝒚𝒍𝒊𝒆 is pretty much done. This provides the opportunity to display many of the paintings at a larger scale.

No decision on when it will be available.

The book includes some of the art from 𝑺𝒉𝒊𝒑𝒔 & 𝑺𝒉𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒔, plus pieces from elsewhere. 𝑽𝒐𝒚𝒂𝒈𝒆𝒔 is very much a companion book to 𝑺𝒉𝒊𝒑𝒔 & 𝑺𝒉𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒔 with limited text.

Screenshot 2024-06-13 080325.png

• Like 9