cyberpunk/shadowrun with brp?

1 hour ago, littlewitchmaus said:

i've long been a fan of everything about 'shadowrun' but the actual rules and i'm wondering if anyone has done anything similar with the brp ruleset?

There was a BRP supplement "After the Vampire Wars" which basically had a modern fantasy setting down (think similar to Bright, or the Blade world), sans cyberpunk rules. I believe there are cyberpunk fan rules in the Files section of this site. Combining the two should yield you a good foundation to work with. 

If you can't find a copy of the old BRP supplement, then there is a version that is currently available HERE, though it will require slightly more leg work.

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
clarification
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, g33k said:

IIRC, there was also a cyberpunk/BRP hack produced by @Raleel ... ?
Dunno if it was explicitly SR, tho...

I have some marker so I was planning on publishing. It’s not specifically shadowrun but there are definitely the parts to do shadowrun 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SDLeary said:

There was a BRP supplement "After the Vampire Wars" which basically had a modern fantasy setting down (think similar to Bright, or the Blade world), sans cyberpunk rules. I believe there are cyberpunk fan rules in the Files section of this site. Combining the two should yield you a good foundation to work with. 

If you can't find a copy of the old BRP supplement, then there is a version that is currently available HERE, though it will require slightly more leg work.

SDLeary

After The Vampire Wars is still available through The Design Mechanism https://thedesignmechanism.com/print-publications/?page=5 for 29.99 + shipping And Applicable Tax. That includes Hard copy and PDF. Drivethru also sells the PDF (no hard copy.) 12.99.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raleel said:

I have some marker so I was planning on publishing. It’s not specifically shadowrun but there are definitely the parts to do shadowrun 

I presume you're looking at the new ORC-licensed games...?
Have you settled on a BRP:UGE or M:I foundation?  Or even using the ORC license to blend them?  Or...?

C'es ne pas un .sig

50 minutes ago, g33k said:

I presume you're looking at the new ORC-licensed games...?
Have you settled on a BRP:UGE or M:I foundation?  Or even using the ORC license to blend them?  Or...?

Nothing is settled yet

• Like 1

I am considering writing something of that nature for BRP, called High Octane Sorcery. Think of Mad Max meets cyberpunk meets sword & sorcery; it will share the genre with Shadowrun (and maybe Rifts), but have significant differences in tone (post-apocalyptic and with darker magic). Essentially, the various belligerents in WWIII used "exotic weapons" tearing the fabric of Reality itself and bringing back things long locked behind the Veil - such as various spirits, monsters, and sorcerous energies. Fast forward a generation or two, most of the world is wasteland, with corporate-controlled city-states being the remnants of civilization. The default narrative structure would be akin to that of many sword & sorcery tales - the barbarians from the Wastes coming to the big city, shenanigans ensue (potentially including smashing the city's masters, or dying trying that). But the barbarian now has a fast car, chrome, and a shotgun rather than just a big sword...

I intended to write that for the Cepheus Engine (2d6 game engine based on the old Traveller SRD), but I discovered that BRP does much of the "heavy lifting" for me in writing such a setting.

@Questbird Thanks for the mention.

Just to expand on this, the "official" Cyberpunk timeline has moved on to 2045 (or 2077 if you play the videogame). I'm running a Cyberpunk RED campaign at the moment using the R.Talsorian rules (sorry, Chaosium). It's purely coincidental that my campaign's timeline has moved on to 2046 :-) .

I'm using the Talsorian rules because

a) One of my players was an official playtester for the RED rules and his input has been invaluable

b) The rest of the group wanted to play something that "wasn't D&D 5th edition"

I'll be back for more D100 games as soon as I've read the UGE rules properly!

Colin

• Like 2

Concerning cybernetics, I think you could be able to make a working rule set out of the Powers section in the BGB or BRP:UGE books.

Concerning ShadowRun and magic, you have a variety of options. RuneQuest, OpenQuest and Mythras have rules for summoning and binding spirits. The closest equivalent to spell magic is IMHO the Magic rules in BGB or BRP:UGE. The closest equivalent to Adept powers is in Mythras, with the Mysticism rules set.

10 hours ago, Mugen said:

Concerning cybernetics, I think you could be able to make a working rule set out of the Powers section in the BGB or BRP:UGE books.

Concerning ShadowRun and magic, you have a variety of options. RuneQuest, OpenQuest and Mythras have rules for summoning and binding spirits. The closest equivalent to spell magic is IMHO the Magic rules in BGB or BRP:UGE. The closest equivalent to Adept powers is in Mythras, with the Mysticism rules set.

yea, there are some tricks with shadowrun you have to pay attention to, like there are some severe paradigm restrictions on magic that are not well spelled out until the magic books that remove a very solid portion of the spells (frankly, most of the "problematic" ones).

the other one that is interesting is that the spirits in SR are, frankly, boring as hell. virtually all of the shamanistic ones are the same set of powers over different environments and can be emulated with Mythras with nature spirits. Their elementals are also a very straight port. It lacks a lot of nuance and variance. If you start with those and start pulling in some of the core Mythras ones that are not directly represented, you get a MUCH better shaman as a whole, to the point where you start really thinking about spellcasting and spirits as different and taking that top tier of being a full mage is very impactful. Not to mention you are now nurturing 4 skills. Frankly, I liked it a lot more than core SR magic.

Mysticism is only an ok representation of what is in SR. The modified version of Mysticism in Thennla using Conditioning and Puissance is a much closer direct mapping. That having been said, it might be more interesting to use Mysticism relatively unaltered. Destined powers would probably work as well.

3 hours ago, Raleel said:

the other one that is interesting is that the spirits in SR are, frankly, boring as hell

Boring but also frankly overpowered. At least, under my GM's understanding of 4th edition rules, where they were just one more character in the party with no drawback.