Design Mechanism Launches the RuneQuest Archive on Drivethru

lawrence.whitaker

We're delighted to announce that Design Mechanism, Issaries and Mongoose Publishing have reached an agreement that allows us to continue making available RuneQuest and Glorantha titles (originally published by Mongoose) through DrivethruRPG and its affiliated sites.

Under the RuneQuest Archives you'll be able to buy a special selection of the very best of the old Mongoose RQ and Glorantha titles at only $1.00 per book.

This means that certain titles that would have disappeared are now available at a really great price. The titles are split between the first and second editions of Mongoose's RuneQuest iteration (MRQ1 and MRQ2 respectively).

Get Into Glorantha for Only $10!

It also means that, if you've ever hesitated about getting into Glorantha because the cost has been prohibitive, you can now take the plunge at a nominal cost. The entire set of these Glorantha titles, bought as a bundle, costs only $10 and includes:

An extensive but accessible guide to the world

A comprehensive and detailed guide to Glorantha's Second Age cults

Two complete campaigns

A highly detailed deep-dive into the culture of the God Learners

A complete overview of one major Gloranthan region (Fronela), including a starting scenario.

The titles available through RuneQuest Archives are:

RuneQuest

• RuneQuest Empires (MRQ2)
  • Monster Coliseum (MRQ2)
  • Vikings (MRQ2)
  • Land of the Samurai (MRQ1)
  • The Price of Honour (MRQ1)

Glorantha

• Glorantha: the Second Age (MRQ2)
  • Cults of Glorantha (MRQ2)
  • The Abiding Book (MRQ2)
  • Pavis Rises (MRQ2)
  • Dwarfs (MRQ1)
  • Dragonewts (MRQ1)
  • Ducks (MRQ1)
  • Elfs (MRQ1)
  • Blood of Orlanth (MRQ2)
  • Dara Happa Stirs (MRQ1)
  • Fronela

Both MRQ1 and MRQ2 books will be highly compatible with RuneQuest 6th edition and, of course, MRQ2 books are fully compatible with Mongoose's Legend system.

All these books contain a wealth of background information, history, cultural detail and ideas that are, of course, system agnostic. The Glorantha titles in particular include some information unexplored in any previous Gloranthan works and, in the case of the four races books, provide huge and detailed insight into their respective species.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

This is excellent news - I can fill in the couple of holes remaining in my collection.

Incidentally, I hope that the Second Age setting will continue to see some additional development for RuneQuest 6th edition.

I know that many fans want a return to the era of the classic RQ products, but I like the Second Age and would like to see more of it too :)

This is excellent news - I can fill in the couple of holes remaining in my collection.

Incidentally, I hope that the Second Age setting will continue to see some additional development for RuneQuest 6th edition.

I know that many fans want a return to the era of the classic RQ products, but I like the Second Age and would like to see more of it too :)

Second Age Glorantha is definitely on my wish list even if I have to write stuff myself and pitch it to Loz and Pete.

Great news! I am a bit confused though at the books chosen. When I saw Pirates wasn't there I just assumed only books Mongoose didn't intend to update for Legend were part of the deal but then I realised Vikings and Monster Coliseum were there, both on the release schedule for Legend. Any thoughts on why some books are part of the agreement while others are not?

Does DM now own the text of these books?

Finally, your e-mail mentions Glorantha: the Second Age (MRQ2) but on DTRPG, the one offered is the MRQ1 version.

Great news! I am a bit confused though at the books chosen. When I saw Pirates wasn't there I just assumed only books Mongoose didn't intend to update for Legend were part of the deal but then I realised Vikings and Monster Coliseum were there, both on the release schedule for Legend. Any thoughts on why some books are part of the agreement while others are not?

Yes, I wanted to focus on the fantasy books rather than include some of the older titles which I know Mongoose are in the immediate process of revamping for Legend. Vikings is just a plain awesome supplement anyway, which is why I included it, and Monster Coliseum has the gladiator rules which 'Monsters of Legend' has dropped (has more entries too).

Does DM now own the text of these books?

No. This is just a PDF publishing arrangement to keep some excellent titles available. Mongoose still owns the text, but we are in discussions about that.

Finally, your e-mail mentions Glorantha: the Second Age (MRQ2) but on DTRPG, the one offered is the MRQ1 version.

Yes, you're right. Drivethru ported to wrong version. That's being corrected and I'll be sending anyone who bought the MRQ1 edition the MRQII version free of charge.

No. This is just a PDF publishing arrangement to keep some excellent titles available. Mongoose still owns the text, but we are in discussions about that.

Yes, you're right. Drivethru ported to wrong version. That's being corrected and I'll be sending anyone who bought the MRQ1 edition the MRQII version free of charge.

Cool beans!

This is an excellent deal - I have about 80% of these titles in dead-tree format, but always wanted to grab a few of them on pdf.

I have spent about $15 US and have pretty much the lot now. Thank you for this generous offer, to say that the DM have done a good thing here is an understatement

Much appreciated!

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Regarding Glorantha: the Second Age

As of this writing, it still looks like only the MRQ1 version is available. I'd really like a PDF of the MRQ2 version, to complement my hard copy, but I'm not going to make extra work for anybody. You may want to talk to the Drivethru folks again on Monday.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Regarding Glorantha: the Second Age

As of this writing, it still looks like only the MRQ1 version is available. I'd really like a PDF of the MRQ2 version, to complement my hard copy, but I'm not going to make extra work for anybody. You may want to talk to the Drivethru folks again on Monday.

And you'll have it. Its an easy thing for DTRPG to port the second edition book across and they're in the process of doing so. I'll be following up with this tomorrow.

The second edition of Glorantha: the Second Age is now available on Drivethru. All those who bought the bundle, and have email notification enabled, have been contacted offering them the second edition free of charge.

If you haven't received an email from me, its likely because you have the email notification disabled. Please drop me a line at designmechanism AT g mail DOT com, quoting your Customer Order number for the bundle in the Header and I'll arrange for you to receive the discount code. Please note, emails without the Customer Order number will be ignored.

Edited by lawrence.whitaker

Phht. The Obliterated God laughs at your invisible god. All things come to him in the end. B-)

And who do you think obliterated the Obliterated God in the first place, oh blasphemous one? Had you but studied the 94 scriptures of Hrestol more closely you would know that all other gods are lesser gods created during the Fourth Realisation of Ordelvis's illumination.

Phht and Pah. I can see that the Atroxic Church needs to pay you a little visit, to help amend your heretical ways...