Revived chaos god spells

34 minutes ago, mfbrandi said:

Of course, it is all academic until you work out how to create functioning cults for these “missing” and/or “dead” chaos “gods”. How do you resurrect the Devil? Do you have a lever big enough to shift the Block? Perhaps all you have to do is nuke the moon.

Lords of Terror suggests that this is a project of Ralzakark's, done through selective breeding, and picked up by one of his offspring. Myth fragments suggest that the Devil will be reborn from a Broo/Broo pairing (and those are less common in the wild than one might think).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, theconfusingeel said:

Kajabor
He's the void aspect of chaos and the other god called the devil and also the great fear.
-disintegrate(removes something from existence, probably scales with the thing's SIZ)
-fear
-form chaos army

Form chaos army seems over powered to me, because the OP's question was what rune spells the chaos gods' followers would get.  Getting a whole army goes beyond what you get from any other rune spell, and appears to combine summon and control.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Form chaos army seems over powered to me, because the OP's question was what rune spells the chaos gods' followers would get.  Getting a whole army goes beyond what you get from any other rune spell, and appears to combine summon and control.

I'm OP lol.
It's supposed to be something like the command worshipers spell or the summon tribesmen spell that pamalt has, an army may be a bit of an exageration on my part.

Edited by theconfusingeel

2 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

Of course, it is all academic until you work out how to create functioning cults for these “missing” and/or “dead” chaos “gods”. How do you resurrect the Devil? Do you have a lever big enough to shift the Block? Perhaps all you have to do is nuke the moon.

What does "functioning" mean for these purposes? 

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

1 minute ago, mfbrandi said:

For these purposes, one that can get magic from the object of devotion. I can dress in funny robes and chant the name of Dubya today, but it won’t get me anywhere (but the funny farm).

Well, that should be pretty simple. As the Vithelan story of Avanapdur suggests, you can make up entities to worship and gain magic from them, at least for as long as they avoid contact with mystics. But if you can't do that for Wakboth or Jotimam, that suggests that something is receiving the worship and telling the worshiper "no". 

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

16 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

I interpreted that a little differently. 'Form Chaos Army' as an equivalent to the Orlanth Rex rights. Less about magicking an army out of nowhere, and more about legitimising a random assortment of chaos bods into a unified force (largely as an attempt to get them to stop murdering each other for long enough to achieve the objective).

Whether that fits better with Kajabor or someone like Wakboth I'm not sure.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ynneadwraith said:

I interpreted that a little differently. 'Form Chaos Army' as an equivalent to the Orlanth Rex rights. Less about magicking an army out of nowhere, and more about legitimising a random assortment of chaos bods into a unified force (largely as an attempt to get them to stop murdering each other for long enough to achieve the objective).

Whether that fits better with Kajabor or someone like Wakboth I'm not sure.

That was my idea, yeah.
I included it both with Wakboth and Kajabor because they both had leading roles during the greater darkness, thought I think it might fit more for Wakboth than for Kajabor, seeing that Kajabor was apperantly an impersonal force

Edited by theconfusingeel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ali the Helering said:

If we create our deities, Dubya would appear.

Maybe, but this was all in the context of straight Jeffism — I provided a link and everything. I would never claim to be a Jeffist, of course, although I do like a dead god who won’t come when I call (else just get a dog). 😉

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

On 5/20/2024 at 1:11 PM, theconfusingeel said:

If that were to happen, what kind of spells could they provide to their followers?

I'd look to the development of Firshala in Griffin Mountain and Orgorvale Summer in the GM Screen Pack - start small.

In the The Daliath Prophecy (GtG 743), the Unholy Trio walk free. Modelling Ragnaglar after Thed and Mallia for this case (see Broo cults in RQB 93), both have a few common spells, Mallia has four Rune spells and Thed six. I'd give them Mastery & Chaos as their Rune (no air), so maybe:

Common Rune Magic: Divination, Sanctify

Special Rune Magic: Command Worshippers*, True Horns**, Charisma, Chaos Gift, Command Priests***

* As RBM, but works only on broo

** True (weapon) for horns.

*** As RBM, only works on broo priests (any cult)

Naturally Thed, Mallia and Primal Chaos are associated cults with usual spells

Cast it all using the chaos rune. Or as these are all NPC cults - do as you want - it's chaos.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

For Ragnaglar, there's always the Avatar of Chaos/Chieftain of Ragnaglar from the Borderlands (p135 PDF).  Unfortunately he has no rune spells but does have the skills of Sense Life and Sense Power.  

For Wakboth, I think he is contactable in a fashion as Cacodemon.  I certainly would use him for all the Devil-worshippers mentioned in the Guide (Black Hralf, Argin Terror etc).

11 hours ago, metcalph said:

For Ragnaglar, there's always the Avatar of Chaos/Chieftain of Ragnaglar from the Borderlands (p135 PDF).  Unfortunately he has no rune spells but does have the skills of Sense Life and Sense Power.  

For Wakboth, I think he is contactable in a fashion as Cacodemon.  I certainly would use him for all the Devil-worshippers mentioned in the Guide (Black Hralf, Argin Terror etc).

I generally agree, but I think that other parts of Wakboth can be contacted as well - for example, the Eye.

55 minutes ago, Revilo Divad Of Dyoll said:

I generally agree, but I think that other parts of Wakboth can be contacted as well - for example, the Eye.

Or, possibly more threatening, the hand - IIRC the worst of the Chaos horrors to roam the Devil's Marsh. (Although the Broos counters in Nomad Gods have terrifying strength rivalling that of Founders or Protectresses.)

Telling how it is excessive verbis