RuneQuest 6 Firearms

Heimdallsgothi

SWEET! Thanks Pete and Loz!

I am assuming that the example 10 mm Pistol is supposed to be a 10 mm Auto rather than a .40 S&W, as it does more damage than a .45.

SDLeary

Probably. I just did the energy weapons and layout. Neither of us are gun bunnies, but Pete did the necessary research when writing this, so he can answer with more accuracy.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Where they blew up, their explosive radium rounds growing increasingly unstable over countless millennia... ;)

"These rifles were of a white metal stocked with wood, which I learned later was a very light and intensely hard growth much prized on Mars, and entirely unknown to us denizens of Earth. The metal of the barrel is an alloy composed principally of aluminum and steel which they have learned to temper to a hardness far exceeding that of the steel with which we are familiar. The weight of these rifles is comparatively little, and with the small caliber, explosive, radium projectiles which they use, and the great length of the barrel, they are deadly in the extreme and at ranges which would be unthinkable on Earth. The theoretic effective radius of this rifle is three hundred miles, but the best they can do in actual service when equipped with their wireless finders and sighters is but a trifle over two hundred miles."

"They have had me down in the pits below the buildings helping them mix their awful radium powder, and make their terrible projectiles. You know that these have to be manufactured by artificial light, as exposure to sunlight always results in an explosion. You have noticed that their bullets explode when they strike an object? Well, the opaque, outer coating is broken by the impact, exposing a glass cylinder,

almost solid, in the forward end of which is a minute particle of radium powder. The moment the sunlight, even though diffused, strikes this powder it explodes with a violence which nothing can withstand. If you ever witness a night battle you will note the absence of these explosions, while the morning following the battle will be filled at sunrise with the sharp detonations of exploding missiles fired the preceding

night."

Radium Rifle 2d6 10km/320km/480km 1 100 3 Ablating, Disintegrating, Weakness (half damage at night) 6

(Sorry it took so long... it took me a while to find and speed read my copy of A Princess of Mars)

And with that, I can officially use RQ6 for modern campaigns, or worlds where guns are part of the setting. For some reason, I keep wondering what stats I should give to a flamewand;).

Either way, congratulation to the Design Mechanism crew for the outstanding job!

Thanks, Pete, for the Barsoom radium gun stats. Kaor!

One of the short stories in Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles mentioned a weapon that fired a swarm of bees instead of a slug or energy bolt. A jealous Martian husband used one to remove a handsome Earth astronaut his wife was mooning over. I suppose in practical terms it is just another gun. But maintenance for such a weapon, literal care and feeding of your ammo supply, could be problematic. It would probably be a poison attack of some sort, and of limited range (since the bees can only see and scent their prey a certain distance away). The potential problem of the bees turning on the gun's user wasn't addressed, but the weapon did make a noise when fired (Buzz! Buzz?).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Pete, for the Barsoom radium gun stats. Kaor!

One of the short stories in Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles mentioned a weapon that fired a swarm of bees instead of a slug or energy bolt. A jealous Martian husband used one to remove a handsome Earth astronaut his wife was mooning over. I suppose in practical terms it is just another gun. But maintenance for such a weapon, literal care and feeding of your ammo supply, could be problematic. It would probably be a poison attack of some sort, and of limited range (since the bees can only see and scent their prey a certain distance away). The potential problem of the bees turning on the gun's user wasn't addressed, but the weapon did make a noise when fired (Buzz! Buzz?).

I thought that Bradbury was using some poetic license for a weapon that fired some kind of smart munitions myself. Actually, given Martian telepathic powers, they could make you believe you had been shot with any kind of weapon that they wanted to imagine: and you would psycho-somatically suffer the damage most likely for the weapon.