Chaos & Catacombs

threedeesix

I'm also of the opinion that "homage" would work better than parody in this case. Parody of AD&D has already been well covered by HackMaster. Glad to hear of this change in direction!

Also, I'm glad to hear that the name has been changed to avoid confusion with Castles & Crusades. A wise choice. If you're taking suggestions for a new name, how about Dark Dungeons? Kind of a nod to Jack Chick's ridiculous anti-D&D screed pamphlet of the same name...:D

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also of the opinion that "homage" would work better than parody in this case. Parody of AD&D has already been well covered by HackMaster. Glad to hear of this change in direction!

Also, I'm glad to hear that the name has been changed to avoid confusion with Castles & Crusades. A wise choice. If you're taking suggestions for a new name, how about Dark Dungeons? Kind of a nod to Jack Chick's ridiculous anti-D&D screed pamphlet of the same name...:D

I have a name right now that to the best of my knowledge IS available. Rather than announce it only to have to retract it if it can't be used, I've decided to keep it my little closely guarded secret. >:->

But, with that said, I'll take any suggestions seriously as an emergency back up.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Here's some ideas...

Brain Farts Ahoy!

Bastions & Beasts

Castles & Chimaerae

Caves & Cockatrices

Cellars & Centaurs

Crypts & Creatures

Darkness & Demons

Fanes & Fiends

Gaols & Giants

Graveyards & Ghouls

Hamlets & Harpies

Lairs & Lords

Mansions & Magicians

Mausoleums & Mummies

Mines & Manticores

Palaces & Perils

Ruins & Rogues

Temples & Titans

Tombs & Trolls

Tunnels & Tarasques

Villages & Vampires

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

I am curious about how you are going to handle the options. The BRP book being more or less a collection of rules options, are you going to compile a list of suggested options for Chaos & Catacombs from the main BRP book or what?

Here's some ideas...

Brain Farts Ahoy!

Bastions & Beasts

Castles & Chimaerae

Caves & Cockatrices

Cellars & Centaurs

Crypts & Creatures

Darkness & Demons

Fanes & Fiends

Gaols & Giants

Graveyards & Ghouls

Hamlets & Harpies

Lairs & Lords

Mansions & Magicians

Mausoleums & Mummies

Mines & Manticores

Palaces & Perils

Ruins & Rogues

Temples & Titans

Tombs & Trolls

Tunnels & Tarasques

Villages & Vampires

All good, many notably better than others. ;)

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

Could you speak a little more on the differences mechanics-wise between clerics and wizards?

The difference is in semantics more than anything. For instance, the mage is based on BRP 'Magic'. Which is the core system originating in the original Magic World all those years ago. It was chosen as the system for Chaos & Catacombs because it most resembles the D&D magic system.

For instance, mages use spell books to record their spells, they memorize a number of those spells for 'quick casting'. But unlike D&D they don't 'forget' them after casting and can cast them all day as long as their magic points hold out.

Now, with that in mind I chose to model cleric spell casting in the same way, but taking a hint from RQ, clerics must pray for new spells and sacrifice POW to obtain them. They don't require spell books, but are limited in the number of spells they can prepare for 'quick casting' in the same way as a mage.

The other thing I loved about the Magic World spell system is that a mage can cast spells from his spell book as well, it just takes longer, something mages always do in movies and literature, but not D&D.

It's hard to summarize an entire chapter in one post, but thats the general gist of it.

Rod

I am curious about how you are going to handle the options. The BRP book being more or less a collection of rules options, are you going to compile a list of suggested options for Chaos & Catacombs from the main BRP book or what?

I have hand picked the options that I think that most fits the feel of the game I'm writing and written them into the rules. There are a couple of options that I was on the fence about, Fate Points for instance, so rather than not include them at all, I carried them over as an option in C&C. But for the most part, there will be a limited selection of options to choose from in my book, but being fully compatible with the BRP core rules, any GM can utilize any options he chooses, after all, once you plop down your hard earned money, it becomes our game, not mine. :)

Rod

Oooh, I'm approaching my 100th post. Who is going to be the lucky recipient of having my 100th post be in reply to their comment. The winner gets my endless gratitude and a free comment. ;)

Rod

NOW I am excited about an upcoming game. Congratulations!

You don't lack self esteem, do you?:)

Well, it's just that I must be a member of I don't know how many forums and I don't think I have a total of 20 posts on all the others combined, I tend to be a lurker, but 100 posts! Thats call to celebrate. :happy:

Yes, I find it safer to lurk, usually, myself.

You know, I was thinking (just a suggestion) that since this is going to be a homage, why not dedicate the title to more than one of the original fantasy rpgs? One other rpg that preceded RQ, I think, was 'In the Labyrinth' at least as the Microgames 'Melee' and 'Wizard' (precursors of GURPS, no less). And it doesn't have to be 'something & something', does it? A combo title like 'Chaos in the Labyrinth'? Or 'Chaos & Labyrinths' if you want the '&'. A combination of two or more titles of fantasy rpgs of yore. Heh, 'Quest in the Labyrinth'.

Well at any rate, this has me going as much as the BRP book itself. It sounds right now like the mythical perfect game I have always wanted, but never found. The closest I have come was a mix of Magic World, the Arcanum, and Stormbringer 1. You are stirring the gaming spirit in an old gamers heart...

You know, I was thinking (just a suggestion) that since this is going to be a homage, why not dedicate the title to more than one of the original fantasy rpgs? One other rpg that preceded RQ, I think, was 'In the Labyrinth' at least as the Microgames 'Melee' and 'Wizard' (precursors of GURPS, no less). And it doesn't have to be 'something & something', does it? A combo title like 'Chaos in the Labyrinth'? Or 'Chaos & Labyrinths' if you want the '&'. A combination of two or more titles of fantasy rpgs of yore. Heh, 'Quest in the Labyrinth'.

I think the "&" sums up lots of fondness for early games. Even modern games emulate the "&" (Mutants & Masterminds anyone). In the early era you had Legends and Lore as a AD&D supplement (rename for Deities and Demigods) and later you had Powers and Perils. There are more, I just cant recall them after so many years.

Using the BRP system you might want to throw a bone to RQ. Perhaps Runes & Dragons or Dungeons & Quests.

Yeh,but I mean Castles and Crusades has already snatched the '&' fondness for nostaligia. I'd stay away from that altogether.

Paul Elliott

Warlords of Alexander - Roleplaying in the ruins of Alexander's Empire

Zenobia - Fantasy RPG in the Eastern Roman Empire

Zaibatsu - Fast-play Japanese cyberpunk - Gibson-style

www.geocities.com/mithrapolis/games.html

I'm very interested in what you come up with. The cleric/priest side is where I've had trouble.

I chose to model cleric spell casting in the same way, but taking a hint from RQ, clerics must pray for new spells and sacrifice POW to obtain them. They don't require spell books, but are limited in the number of spells they can prepare for 'quick casting' in the same way as a mage.

I'd considered using either the 'Sorcery' rules for priest or the idea that you spend permanent power per spell level to acquired as under the 'Magic' rules but with an automatic powx5 skill roll. You'll tend to get higher initial ability, but at a bit more cost. I'd hoped to see the RQ2 style "Rune Priest" magic, revised, but I'll have a better idea once I get my greedy little hands on the actual book.

Grey

At Play in the Fields of the Fnord

Yeh,but I mean Castles and Crusades has already snatched the '&' fondness for nostaligia. I'd stay away from that altogether.

Castles & Crusades is hardly the only Ampersand game out there seeking nostalgia.

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

I'm very interested in what you come up with. The cleric/priest side is where I've had trouble.

I'd considered using either the 'Sorcery' rules for priest or the idea that you spend permanent power per spell level to acquired as under the 'Magic' rules but with an automatic powx5 skill roll. You'll tend to get higher initial ability, but at a bit more cost. I'd hoped to see the RQ2 style "Rune Priest" magic, revised, but I'll have a better idea once I get my greedy little hands on the actual book.

Grey

I went with the automatic 100% skill roll for clerics just like RQ2. Mages still have to study their way to greatness, but if they find a spell book with 5 spells they don't yet know, they can now learn them starting at INT x1%, but no POW sacrifice.

No, I don't want to do that, just about every game from the era I'm trying to represent had that little ampersand.

Dungeons & Dragons

Tunnels & Trolls

Villains & Vigilantes

Bunnies & Burrows

Chivalry & Sorcery

Swords & Sorcerers (an expansion for Chivalry & Sorcery)

Might & Magic (Computer Game)

These are just off the top of my head. I think there is room on the shelves for another game with an ampersand.

Rod

For people that enjoy D&D, though, it sounds fantastic! While I'm not a fan of D&D (in any form), I think I might grab this if only for your take on creature stats.

Blessed Be,

)O( Mike )O

http://web.mac.com/boghouse/iWeb

"So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?"

~You've Got Mail (1998 film)