Game Of The King

skenderax

Wish you nice day,

I need advice from you :-).

I want to play a game, where all players are kings. The game should be divided to rounds of year or so.

I there a mechanic, a rules or something, to build a kingdom? To mine, harvest, build fortress, build army, conquere ... in BPR?

Thanks.

Sx.

IIRC there was a Mongoose RuneQuest (for both MRQ1 and MRQ2 iirc) supplement that covered that sort of stuff. Empires I believe, but its not been redone for Legend as yet as far as I can see.

There isn't anything else that springs to mind - Pendragon is not BRP (albeit related) but has touched on these areas in various levels of detail over the years. The Kingmaker Adventure Path for Pathfinder I think ends up with PC's running kingdoms?

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1

You could create a template for kingdom stats similar to the ship stats that exist in a number of RuneQuest variants and use those.

I would rather look at what wargames or strategy would make of information like those about provinces and lands surrounding the Roman Empire in Cthulhu Invictus, and use that kind of data.

I would work with subdivisions of those kingdoms (that could change their administration without the former owner being put out of business), and assign traits to those subdivisions. Traits like overall satisfaction of a subdivision, of social groups inside those subdivisions (e.g. nobles vs. freemen vs. serfs, and minority groups).

Loyalty to the king would be an important stat, likely modified by satisfaction. And I'd include a rule that too high levels of satisfaction create new demands by groups within that subdivision that have to be met to maintain satisfaction.

Factors like military expenses, military presence, presence of peace-keepers, access to luxuries, education, healing, food, water, arable land for expanding populations all would figure.

I played in a game with a similar premise under a variant of the Heroquest rules at last year's Kraken convention. There the status of the kingdom was formulated by internal and external problems, or problems resulting from interaction with a rival group. Basically, the skills of the kingdom were matched with the severity of the problem and the applicability of those skills. Something like this should be possible with the percentile skill system of BRP, too.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I think some of that such as developing the kingdom with roads, mines, etc, was handled by some home brew rules recently uploaded by Chris Tooley. Look in the download section...

Best!

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

IIRC there was a Mongoose RuneQuest (for both MRQ1 and MRQ2 iirc) supplement that covered that sort of stuff. Empires I believe, but its not been redone for Legend as yet as far as I can see.

I haven't used it yet, but as it is MRQ2 and written by Lawrence Whitaker, it seems easily compatible with RQ 6, which is the new BRP baseline. You can also get it here on Amazon for $10.75 new in hardback at the moment. 

It lets you create state in a manner similar to a PC. You have a number of base characteristics (Military Strength, Law, Size, Communication, Religion and Wealth), then certain attributes are calculated from those. You also have Capabilities which work just like percentile skills (Commerce, Espionage, Magic, Diplomacy to name a few). There are turns on a strategic scale where empires can take actions. 

The book also covers using the system for smaller organizations like guilds or factions, give rules for PC running their own holdings, and has some rules PC undertaking missions for an Empire and making PCs suited to this kind of campaign. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There was an old D&D setting called Birthright that was heavily influenced by empire building.  If you are interested here is an idea of something that may be of use.

Birthright D20

Chapter 5 and 6 are the specific rules for running a kingdom and should be able to pulled out an put into BRP with almost no conversion.

-STS

• Like 1

Definitely go with MRQ Empires, it's excellent for this concept and it must be the title that the OP (skenderax) has heard about.

Highly recommended, but may work a tad better with RQ6 BRP than BGB BRP, but cross compatibility is pretty good with a few hand waves.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

If you want something a bit more abstract, you can take a look at An Echo, Resounding.  It avoids going into detail of tracking exactly how much money you have, costs of things, etc., instead rating each kingdom's Military, Wealth, and Social strengths, with different structures, customs, and units having upkeep costs and production levels for each of those three stats.  Definitely worth looking at if you want an alternative to "this kingdom has 43,294 people on 1,087 square miles of land with 1,047,238.79gp in the treasury...".

(Note that I haven't seen MRQ2 Empire and the description above sounds like it might be a similar sort of system to Echo Resounding.  But most of the systems I've seen for this kind of thing are of the bookkeeping-heavy, track-every-farthing sort.)

The Kingmaker Adventure Path for Pathfinder I think ends up with PC's running kingdoms?

Or there is Ultimate Campaign which includes reworked kingdom building rules for Pathfinder/d20. Although not d100/BRP, I've never found d20 material hard to convert over.

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

On Fri Oct 23 2015 02:35:31 GMT-0500, skenderax said:

Wish you nice day,

I need advice from you :-).

I want to play a game, where all players are kings. The game should be divided to rounds of year or so.

I there a mechanic, a rules or something, to build a kingdom? To mine, harvest, build fortress, build army, conquere ... in BPR?

Thanks.

Sx.

Ive created a set of house  rules for just this. Hope it helps.

Ghttp://basicroleplaying.org/files/file/490-domicile-to-domain/

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

:-) thank you all guys. You answers was very inspirative.

First, I planed to build something like Joerg refer. To build kingdom like character in BRP. Population (HP) should be used to upgrade "CHARACTERISTICS". Characteristics are power of living population. Next, skill are ... sort of advance of population.

But now, it engage my attention  Domicile To Domain and Brithright. So I begin to read :-).

Thanks.

Sx.

On 10/23/2015, 4:43:46, NickMiddleton said:

The Kingmaker Adventure Path for Pathfinder I think ends up with PC's running kingdoms?

Cheers,

Nick

You are correct Nick, that's what the Kingmaker Adventure Path for Pathfinder does. It can be lots of fun or can be very tedious, depending on the players and GM!

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas