BRP PDF Download Available

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, it's been almost 24 hours since I bought the pdf, and it ain't here yet. How long a time lag are you all having?

I'm not sure exactly how Chaosium's e-delivery service works, but have you gone back to their site, logged in, and checked to see if the 'requires purchase' entry on the downloads page has changed to a download link?

Someone previously had mentioned that's what they needed to do.

I placed my order late last night & it was ok this morning.

Based on others' comments, I just re-downloaded & now I have the PDF with the cover in it...I must have just jumped the gun with my order.

Go check your account, it should have the download in it.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

OK, it's been almost 24 hours since I bought the pdf, and it ain't here yet. How long a time lag are you all having?

FWIW, I bought it this morning (about 12 hours ago) and it was done instantly. Came straight back from the paypal page and the download link was in place.

That said, the purchasing interface was horrible in the extreme.

Anyone else got that patchy black line running down the page on pg. 331 of their pdf (page 329 of the book)? I think it may be a remnant of a black edge on the left side of the image used on the page (in which case it may well be something that will appear on the print copies as well).

Colin

Creator of Radioactive Ape Designs, award-nominated publisher of Atomic Highway and other fine RPG publications!

Anyone else got that patchy black line running down the page on pg. 331 of their pdf (page 329 of the book)? I think it may be a remnant of a black edge on the left side of the image used on the page (in which case it may well be something that will appear on the print copies as well).

Colin

Not seeing anything here. Running on a G5 with OS X 10.5.3. Preview doesn't like the PDF, but Acrobat seems fine... haven't seen any anomalies on the pages yet.

SDLeary

I just looked through it and my initial impression is very good. There are things I like and things I don't so much (big surprise). Most importantly the book looks both useful and easy to use, with a lot of material for reference (that is a serious understatement). Taking into account my minor dislikes and such I guess I would rate it 9 out of 10. It really couldn't be much better because almost all those dislikes have to do with personal preference, and I know the book was written for, hopefully, as large a target audience as possible.

There is no point in going into my personal preferences and so forth. In general it sort of reminds me of the GURPS 3 rulebook. Not a bad thing. One small caveat is that I am not sure it is going to always be easy to separate some of the specific rules that one might want to include from the general body of rules even though one of the stated goals, I think, was to make it easy to do so. For instance the skill section seems to assume criticals and specials with effects described for all levels of success. It may take a little work to construct a simpler skill list with only criticals (critical and success effects will sometimes need to be combined) if you want to have a skill set similar to Stormbringer 1, for instance.

But that's OK. I really believe I am looking at possibly the most useful rpg rule book I have ever picked up, GURPS and all. There is a boatload of good stuff with only small dissatisfactions here and there. Thanks, Jason.:thumb:

We need a pleasant read of a review on rpg.net asap. Unfortunately, I don't have time to properly review a 400 page rulebook.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

You mean a review from someone who likes it? I am sure there will be a review there soon. Pleasant, uh, who knows. There have been in the past several threads at rp.net speculating about the new BRP book. It is certainly going to be interesting to see what the reaction there is.

I'd like to see reviews and a poll gauging reaction here, too. I have no idea how to set a poll up, though. Nor would I attempt a review without having actually read through and played it as is. Someone here will soon, I hope.

You mean a review from someone who likes it?

I mean a review by a good writer who can give BRP an objective review that is enjoyable to read.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

Just downloaded mine and in 1 minute I found a typo. :(

Page 26

The "Character SIZ Chart" table has the line "19 82–84 205–\" obviously the backslash should be "210"

I don't have an inappropriate line on page 331 Colin.

132/420

They chose not to scan the cover...

4. Pretty Picture Cover all present and correct...

I don't see the cover picture on my copy. So is it supposed to be there or not? :confused:

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I don't see the cover picture on my copy. So is it supposed to be there or not? :confused:
When I read that others had the cover, I went back to my account and re-downloaded the pdf. Now I have a version with a cover.

On a different note, I also see that the text in the PDF is selectable (I have a full version of Acrobat), which means that cobbling together a "cheat sheet" for personal use will be pretty easy -- I can just copy key sections from the PDF and paste into Word. Very great.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

When I read that others had the cover, I went back to my account and re-downloaded the pdf. Now I have a version with a cover.

Thanks for that - now I do too! :)

On a different note, I also see that the text in the PDF is selectable (I have a full version of Acrobat), which means that cobbling together a "cheat sheet" for personal use will be pretty easy -- I can just copy key sections from the PDF and paste into Word. Very great.

I only have the Adobe Reader, but find I can do that too. Very useful. Thanks Chaosium!

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Good choice from Chaosium, the big advantages of pdfs are features like c&p. Everyone (who really wants to) can disable the security features of pdfs anyway, so it's a good thing if they don't use that nonsense to begin with.

Are the pdfs watermarked?

Steve

Ah, so they do update the PDF :) Thanks for the tip.

Hi, all:

I'm so excited and pumped!

Based on posts here, I D/L-ed mine np. I think it would help if Chaosium put some sort of link in their "Order Process" email, or posted a very prominent and visible notice during check-out that one needs to return to "such and such" a page after payment confirmation and click the d/l link.

Though I pre-ordered from Chaosium only a few days after they posted the option, I feel the additional purchase of a .pdf will greatly enhance my enjoyment of the hard-copy when it arrives. There are just too many convenient uses of a .pdf copy for game purposes.

Wonderful, Jason; you and Sam have done a great job:thumb:!

Game on :happy:!

Cheers,

Sunwolfe

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

Now that people are seeing the finished product of BRP (and I can't get it for a little while as my personal computer doesn't have internet access, and needs some repairs), I would like to ask about the damage rules. Do the rules allow for doing splatterpunk well?

Now that people are seeing the finished product of BRP (and I can't get it for a little while as my personal computer doesn't have internet access, and needs some repairs), I would like to ask about the damage rules. Do the rules allow for doing splatterpunk well?

why not? BRP with its hitlocations offers the possiblity to cut off heads and arms as much as you like.