Original Settings

I am so happy to see so many products announced for BRP. While it's fun to switch established game worlds to the Chaosium system, it's not going to bring BRP to the FLGS. (On that note - how DID GURPS get to write up GURPS versions of the oWoD Vampire game, among others? Just talk to WW, I suppose, and get permission ie give them money?)

One of these new games coming out could be the Fantasy/SciFi/Urban Fantasy Flagship for BRP! Something that draws in new fans based not on the mechanics, but on the setting! GLEE!

Blessed Be,

)O( Mike )O

http://web.mac.com/boghouse/iWeb

"So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?"

~You've Got Mail (1998 film)

I am so happy to see so many products announced for BRP. While it's fun to switch established game worlds to the Chaosium system, it's not going to bring BRP to the FLGS. (On that note - how DID GURPS get to write up GURPS versions of the oWoD Vampire game, among others? Just talk to WW, I suppose, and get permission ie give them money?)

Correct, albeit the approval clauses, and White Wolf's handling of them provoked a rift between SJG and WW that I beleive remains in place to this day see http://www.maranci.net/intlog06.pdf

One of these new games coming out could be the Fantasy/SciFi/Urban Fantasy Flagship for BRP! Something that draws in new fans based not on the mechanics, but on the setting! GLEE!

Here's hoping! :D

Nick

One of these new games coming out could be the Fantasy/SciFi/Urban Fantasy Flagship for BRP! Something that draws in new fans based not on the mechanics, but on the setting!

I think that a few really good settings is a *must* if BRP shall succeed. Just having a great "generic" game system is not enough. Me thinks.

I think that a few really good settings is a *must* if BRP shall succeed. Just having a great "generic" game system is not enough. Me thinks.

Excellent point. Give the players the rules, and then show them what to do with them.

Hopefully we'll also see some settings pop up on Chaosium's website on Friday. That would be a nice surprise.

A setting would be great, especially if Chaosium can find a book/TV/movie series that is popular and isn't used in RPGs yet. It is hard to compete with something that is developed for years like WoD if you want to establish a new setting. It's better to use something that is already there.

For example, the urban fantasy-genre is popular in the book-market at the moment. Series that could work out as a setting are the Dresden-Files by Jim Butcher or the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris (especially if the True Blood-series on HBO is a success). It would be something original for BRP with a big fan-base and lots of background material for future source books.

... do you ever find you hold back talking about your ideas (or things you're working on - which I'm not really), for fear somebody else would take it or run with it or make it happen faster than you?

Blessed Be,

)O( Mike )O

"So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?"

... do you ever find you hold back talking about your ideas (or things you're working on - which I'm not really), for fear somebody else would take it or run with it or make it happen faster than you?
Nah. It's not like there is a whole lot of fame and money in this hobby. My reward is mostly from seeing something come to life. If someone can take one of my ideas and put in the effort to make it work, that's great. It frees me up to do something else.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

...only to find out, when you finally do get over "hold[ing] back", someone else already did it or did something similar to it :P

It's the voices, I tell you...the voices! Damn them! They tell everyone everything! Lydia, make them stop! Make them...:eek:!

Hmmm... :ohwell:

Maybe...maybe...I, I'll just listen to them for a change...now what was that again? Lesbians trapped in men's bodies!? Why...yes, yes! Brilliant! :shocked:

Fortune favors the bold, Mr. 'Din! :thumb:

Cheers,

Sunwolfe

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

Nah. It's not like there is a whole lot of fame and money in this hobby. My reward is mostly from seeing something come to life. If someone can take one of my ideas and put in the effort to make it work, that's great. It frees me up to do something else.

Steve

Good way of seeing things. Thanks, Steve. :)

Blessed Be,

)O( Mike )O

Has anyone ever written up an RPG based on Moebius's 'Airtight Garage' setting?

I don't know what kind of audience that has... how many people remember it... and it's not really a particularly rational setting... a lot of infrastructure would have to be filled in... but in my mind it's a good fit for BRP.

That and the Luther Arkwright comics would be my first two choices for licensed settings.

Interesting, I am not familiar with the Fate-System, but on first glance it looks like an easy, story-telling oriented system. I will probably check it out when it is finished.

The FATE system is also used in "Spirit of the Century". I'd mentioned SOTC a couple weeks ago in this thread http://basicroleplaying.com/forum/basic-roleplaying/633-brp-spirit-century.html as I think it would be interesting to look into incorporating the aspects and stunts into BRP for a Pulp campaign. Somehow basic BRP feels kind of flat to me with regards to Pulp (though I like the look of what little I've seen of Pulp Cthulhu).

If you want to play that kind of 'Pulp', why not just play Spirit Of The Century?

Good news about that Luther Arkwright game... I think... that review didn't think much of it... though it is percentile based.

He also mentions that Hogshead is supposedly coming out with a new Arkwright game called 'Zero Zero' (a reference to the 'center' of Arkwright's multiverse).

Thanks for that link.

He also mentions that Hogshead is supposedly coming out with a new Arkwright game called 'Zero Zero' (a reference to the 'center' of Arkwright's multiverse).

As a warning, the review was written in 2004.

I just looked at Hogshead's website and it hasn't been updated for almost as long.

The FATE system is also used in "Spirit of the Century". I'd mentioned SOTC a couple weeks ago in this thread http://basicroleplaying.com/forum/basic-roleplaying/633-brp-spirit-century.html as I think it would be interesting to look into incorporating the aspects and stunts into BRP for a Pulp campaign. Somehow basic BRP feels kind of flat to me with regards to Pulp (though I like the look of what little I've seen of Pulp Cthulhu).

I read the SOTC SRD and I like it very much. Very innovative - I have a faible for new developments in RPGs anyway (I am a big fan of "Sorcerer" and "Kill Puppies for Satan"...) and the examples for Harry Dresden look promising, too. It's probably not so easy to adapt FATE-rules to BRP, but it could be relatively easy to convert background material from SOTC or Dresden to BRP.

Interesting, I am not familiar with the Fate-System, but on first glance it looks like an easy, story-telling oriented system. I will probably check it out when it is finished.

If you look up Grey Ghost Games or "FUDGE free download", you can get the core rules for free. If you want something like BRP, you can order the 10th Anniversary Edition with rules add-ons just like the new BRP book (assuming you like the FUDGE rules, of course).

Btw, you can get the Fate rules for free from the people who made Spirit of the Century, at their website.

Does anyone know if there are any forthcoming Sci Fi Settings? I've always thought BRP/CoC was great for military sci fi.

I've got a scenario with Chaosium for editing at the moment that's SF and the idea I'm planning on turning in to a submission for the adventure contest is SF as well, funnily enough.

And one of the longer term setting ideas I'm noodling away on in the background is a vaguely battletech-ish SF setting. Mind, I usually have half a dozen or so setting / campaign ideas on the back burner at any one time... :o

Nick

And one of the longer term setting ideas I'm noodling away on in the background is a vaguely battletech-ish SF setting. Mind, I usually have half a dozen or so setting / campaign ideas on the back burner at any one time... :o

Nick

That's the challenge, though, isn't it? Deciding on one, and following through. Not my strong point to date, either. Hoping to change that this summer, with my first good work schedule in... uh.. a decade?

I think about how it would be good to work with others to get something done, but in the end I have a vision of what I want something to be and I worry I'd be perceived as overly critical.

As a sweeping statement, I think the bulk of gaming material out there is mediocre. I think that's the real reason D&D (and WoD) does fairly well - quality control. Even if the game isn't perfect, they put out quality products. They have the money, and the time.

We'll show them. ;)

Blessed Be,

)O( Mike )O

I've got a scenario with Chaosium for editing at the moment that's SF and the idea I'm planning on turning in to a submission for the adventure contest is SF as well, funnily enough.

Nick

Giant robots! Woohoo:thumb: