[Science Fiction] What SciFi supplements have been written for BRP

rsanford

What science fiction supplements have been written for BRP/RuneQuest? I saw a thread on this site long ago asking the same thing but I can't find it. What I know of includes:

- BRP Space

- Cthulhu Rising

- Jovian Chronicles

- River of Heaven

- Star Wars (RQ6)

- Worlds Beyond

What else?

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Ringworld comes immediately to mind. (It's not a BRP 'supplement' but neither is River of Heaven, for that matter).

Also, there have been a number of Chaosium monographs produced over the past 10 years or so. Operation Ulysses and Outpost 19 come to mind.

- Jovian Chronicles

I've never seen a BRP version of Jovian Chronicles, unless it was some kind of fan-created conversion. Jovian Chronicles was originally a supplement for the Mekton Rpg, and then became it's own game line in the later 90s. Produced by Dream Pod 9 and used their proprietary Silhouette d6 system.

Edited by K Peterson
  • Like 1

Okay so we have:

- BRP Mecha (Out of print, not available)

- BRP Space (Available)

- Chronicles of Future Earth (Out of print, not available)

- Cthulhu Rising (Available)

- Luther Arkwright (Available)

- Mission to Epsilon (Available)

- Operation Ulysses (Available)

- Outpost 19 (Available)

- Ring World (Out of print, not available)

- River of Heaven (Available)

- Rubble and Ruin (Available)

- Star Wars (RQ6) (Available from holders of the PDF)

- Worlds Beyond (Out of print, not available)

I thought there was a fan-made version of Jovian Chronicles? Is that accurate? What about Jovian Nightmares does it need to be on the list? What about Fractured Hopes or Swords of Cydoria? Do they qualify as science fiction?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rsanford said:

What about Jovian Nightmares does it need to be on the list? What about Fractured Hopes or Swords of Cydoria? Do they qualify as science fiction?

I don't own Jovian Nightmares, but it looks like it fits based on the description. Fractured Hopes, as well. 

Swords of Cydoria might count, but it seems more along the lines of Science Fantasy or Planetary Romance than pure science fiction. Depends on how you classify science fiction, and how willing you are to blur the edges of genre.

I just remembered that the very first edition of The Morrow Project (a post-apocalyptic science fiction game) used the Runequest system with Chaosium's permission. However, the current version of the game uses some other system.

• Like 2

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

17 minutes ago, rust said:

I just remembered that the very first edition of The Morrow Project (a post-apocalyptic science fiction game) used the Runequest system with Chaosium's permission. However, the current version of the game uses some other system.

After a little research it turned out that it was actually the "Morrow Project Roleplaying Expansion" which used the Runequest system, a supplement for the core rules, which used a different (and rather unplayable) system. Ah, well, it was such a long time ago ... :(

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

A second edition of Chronicles of Future Earth is planned. It will switch to using RQ6/Mythras. Not sure when Mindjammer will get round to releasing it. I guess Sarah Newton is busy with other irons in the fire.

Also, I believe a second edition of Cthulhu Rising as an OpenQuest game was planned but later cancelled.

I'm pretty sure there has never been a BRP adaptation of Dream Pod 9's Jovian Chronicles. There have been three versions of that game: the first a sourcebook for Mekton, the second a standalone RPG using the same system (Silhouette) as Heavy Gear, and the third was a dual stat sourcebook for d20 Modern and Silhouette Core. I think you may be confusing it with Jovian Nightmares, a supplement for Cthulhu Rising.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, K Peterson said:

I don't own Jovian Nightmares, but it looks like it fits based on the description. Fractured Hopes, as well. 

Swords of Cydoria might count, but it seems more along the lines of Science Fantasy or Planetary Romance than pure science fiction. Depends on how you classify science fiction, and how willing you are to blur the edges of genre.

Jovian Nightmares is an expansion to Cthulhu Rising.  IIRC all monographs were abandoned so I don't think these are available. Truly would love to see Cthulhu Rising redone as a new book that has everything in it (as opposed to one that has people flipping between core rules for the 1920s and the supplement).

I am missing FGU's "Other Suns" from this list, with about the lamest Aliens ever (take a couple of mammals, make them bipedal, and voila aliens) and a take at future technology pleasantly different from the Traveller "take 80ies military tech and give it a very slight SF update" concept.

No real setting, somewhat plausible technology, and of course the potential to plug in any BRP fantasy race as an alternative to the furry aliens.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I checked Chaosium's website and some (but not all) of the monographs are still for sale.  I suspect that they will be discontinued as they sale out.

Okay the current list of Science fiction titles written for BRP include:

- BRP Space (Available)

- Chronicles of Future Earth (Out of print, not available)

- End Time

- Fractured Hopes (Available)

- Jovian Nightmares (Available)

- Once Men (Available)

- Other Suns (Out of print, not available)

- Outpost 19 (Available)

- Swords of Cydoria (Available)

Just like Mysterioso said I thought Chaosiu was going to discontinue the monographs. Maybe they have changed their minds or at least decided to continue to sell the PDFs.

On 6/19/2016 at 5:48 AM, K Peterson said:

If you are going to include Chronicles of Future Earth in the list, which to me reads more as a fantasy than science-fiction, then you should definitely include Swords of Cydoria.

Updated Swords of Cydoria of info:

- BRP Space (Available)

- Chronicles of Future Earth (Out of print, not available, fantasy & science fiction)

- End Time (Available)

- Fractured Hopes (Available)

- Jovian Nightmares (Available)

- Once Men (Available)

- Other Suns (Out of print, not available)

- Outpost 19 (Available)

- Swords of Cydoria (Available - Fantasy / Science Fiction)

Note the only one of these available in print is River of Heaven.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2016 at 9:08 PM, rsanford said:

- Swords of Cydoria (Available - Fantasy / Science Fiction)

The second edition of Swords of Cydoria was released as a non-BRP RPG, Exiled in Eris. It was first self-published and is now published by Precis Intermedia. I recommend it despite it not being BRP. Also, the author, Christian Conkle has a blog for the game which may prove useful for Swords of Cydoria GMs.

Edited by yojimbo
  • Like 2

On 7/12/2016 at 5:07 PM, yojimbo said:

The second edition of Swords of Cydoria was released as a non-BRP RPG, Exiled in Eris. It was first self-published and is now published by Precis Intermedia. I recommend it despite it not being BRP. Also, the author, Christian Conkle has a blog for the game which may prove useful for Swords of Cydoria GMs.

As an addendum, the author also has a blog for the BRP monograph Swords of Cydoria.

Edited by yojimbo

Guest Vile Traveller

Oh, there's this in the downloads section: 

EDIT: Not any more.

Edited by Vile Traveller
Download withdrawn.