New Partnership for Gloranthan Miniatures and Skirmish Wargames Rules

MOB

5 hours ago, David Scott said:

I know that DishDash is one (or maybe two) people, the main person has a day job running another company in an unrelated field. So this is a "hobby" company and I don't mean that in a disparaging manner as I've known them for 25 plus years. Realistically, small game companies don't have huge resources. Same with other figure producers, often it's just one person and real life gets in the way. If product appears, it appears. If it doesn't, hopefully another person can step in.

Is the figure-sculptor the same person who does wargame-rules, do you know?

I note that as a skirmish/wargame rules-maker (with at least one medieval-era game under their belt) and longtime Glorantha fans, they probably are literally just a few HOURS of work from a Gloranthan rough-draft ruleset...  Of course after that comes a LOT of fine-tuning and playtest cycles !

Rules (if they have a playtest crew) can be refined in parallel with sculpting...

C'es ne pas un .sig

10 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

The medium, yes.  The sculpture, not so much.

A little more detail, I think... ?  Since I presume DishDash may review this thread, this may be influential content.

I'd like to see much more duck-like Durulz -- shorter legs, more wing-like arms.  Not just a duck-head & feet on an otherwise human figure.

Edited by g33k
typo
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 hours ago, styopa said:

Personally, FWIW my $0.02 would be Chaosium-licensed plastic minis instead of white metal.  I'm as nostalgic as anyone, and I love my ancient box of lead figures (actual lead - how am I still alive?) but the cost is crazy and IMO unsustainable.  I was pricing white metal figures from Corvus Belli for Infinity and...ouch.

Unless things have changed in a big way in the past few years, setup costs for plastic minis are very high (the cost of the injection moulds), so plastic minis are a big investment that needs to be repaid with volume sales or high selling prices for the minis. 

22 hours ago, g33k said:

A little more detail, I think... ?  Since I presume DishDash may review this thread, this may be influential content.

I'd like to see much more duck-like Durulz -- shorter legs, more wing-like arms.  Not just a duck-head & feet on an otherwise human figure.

I'd like to see a helm and foot protection of some sort...and I'm not a big fan of the butt-sticking-out, WWE-wrestler stance in general.  Also, the skin (feathers?) of the upper legs/abdomen looks more reptilian than avian, and the arms and hands are completely human.

On 5/12/2017 at 11:26 AM, styopa said:

Agreed.

AFAIK the minifig mfg biz is at best a middle-small corporate enterprise (maybe whoever is the shop for GW is large) where companies flourish for a few years and then fade out.

It only makes sense that Chaosium license this out broadly to actually generate a sustainable marketplace of products.  Worst possible choice would be to hand something exclusive out, and then watch it vanish as the "exclusive partner" either folds or is consumed by another.

I generally hope that Chaosium might sometime support free downloadable pdfs or 2d printables...I'm old; the prices these companies want for figures is pretty crazy.

Imagine if you could "upload" a picture of your character (front and back) to a program that would "shrink" it to whatever size you chose (6mm, 15mm, or 25mm) and allow you to print that out on precut foldable cardboard sheets. Instant custom figurines.  The company could also sell cheap plastic bases with clip holders for those cardboard figurines.  You'd just buy a package of say a couple of dozen bases and half a dozen blank, precut cardboard sheets.  I'll take my bases as a 25mm Hex Base, please! :)   

9 hours ago, olskool said:

Imagine if you could "upload" a picture of your character (front and back) to a program that would "shrink" it to whatever size you chose (6mm, 15mm, or 25mm) and allow you to print that out on precut foldable cardboard sheets. Instant custom figurines.  The company could also sell cheap plastic bases with clip holders for those cardboard figurines.  You'd just buy a package of say a couple of dozen bases and half a dozen blank, precut cardboard sheets.  I'll take my bases as a 25mm Hex Base, please! :)   

spielmaterial.de offers round plastic bases for cardboard pieces just like you describe - suitable for 25 mm and probably 15 mm, although not for 6mm, and if you want a hex base, they have hex-shaped cardboard counters in various sizes, too. They have an English language version of their website and do international delivery. I suppose other companies across the pond offer similar material.

As far as I am concerned, the hardest part in this process would be to get the picture of my adventurer, but I guess that's what software like Poser is for.

But when we're talking this kind of preparation, why not have the character 3D color-printed in the scale you want?

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 5/16/2017 at 5:56 AM, Joerg said:

spielmaterial.de offers round plastic bases for cardboard pieces just like you describe - suitable for 25 mm and probably 15 mm, although not for 6mm, and if you want a hex base, they have hex-shaped cardboard counters in various sizes, too. They have an English language version of their website and do international delivery. I suppose other companies across the pond offer similar material.

As far as I am concerned, the hardest part in this process would be to get the picture of my adventurer, but I guess that's what software like Poser is for.

But when we're talking this kind of preparation, why not have the character 3D color-printed in the scale you want?

3D Printing is almost as expensive as buying miniatures here at the moment.  I was thinking of something where you could print the counters right from an "everyday" inkjet or laser printer (either using "pre-generated" images or uploaded custom ones).  I think 3D on demand isn't too far in the future, though.  All that's needed is a reduction in the cost of the printers (which are too costly right now).     

10 hours ago, olskool said:

3D Printing is almost as expensive as buying miniatures here at the moment.  I was thinking of something where you could print the counters right from an "everyday" inkjet or laser printer (either using "pre-generated" images or uploaded custom ones).  I think 3D on demand isn't too far in the future, though.  All that's needed is a reduction in the cost of the printers (which are too costly right now).     

IMO I think there's a lot of people out there that believe 3d modeling is easy, when actually to do something like the above Duck is actually pretty serious amount of work.  Sure, lots of people post

That's why I advocate hard for 2d character portraits - although even getting that art done isn't necessarily cheap, if you have it done nicely (ie a pro-caliber artist).  It's far more price-competitive for many people, not to mention being able to locally print as many as you want is perfect.

• 1 month later...

I have a tremendous interest in metal figures, and buy in quantity. 

Ah, pics got photobucket'ed.  Looking for work around.

So I sent DishDash an email months and months ago with a notation of what I'd like to see first, but mostly to express interest.  No reply.  While it is cool that they are now a possible avenue for figures, it is not so great that any future output will be with an extended timeline.  And honestly Barbarians can be had from historical figures so easily that Orlanthi are the least needed figures in general (although I would to see, and would certainly buy well scuplted ones).

I'm just not getting a vibe of "take my money" from DishDash, which is a real shame.

Dissolv

Edited by Dissolv
Copy/Paste pics didn't show up