13th Age Glorantha - sample layout

MOB

We recently shared a sample layout page to backers of our other Glorantha project in the works - 13th Age in Glorantha.

This project is currently in the final stages of art commissioning/early stages of layout. It's going to be a very nice looking book:

58eb82b8322a4_ScreenShot2017-04-10at3_19_18pm.png.cbb847bfea3cd169208dca0d4c93b6c3.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HorusArisen said:

So will this be the same art we'll see in the core books and RQG line?

I do not believe so.  The project above is from the "13th Age in Glorantha" (13G) line, Rob Heinsoo & Jonathan Tweet.  It has its own look & feel, both artistically and game-mechanically.

Check out the "designing the new runequest" blogs --

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/5701-designing-the-new-runequest-blog-series-links/

Well worth reading, but for this purpose just look at any art.  Some of it comes from the GtG, but some is work (sometime preliminary sketches) for the new RQG.  Even the GtG pieces, I think, were chosen in part to be representative of the RQG esthetic...

C'es ne pas un .sig

34 minutes ago, HorusArisen said:

Ok so I'm liking the art in the blogs 

Me too!  Off the top of my head, the ones I'm SURE are for RQG are the preliminary/rough sketches for Bestiary, and the page with the queen & lunar-guard Sable Riders.  I may be mistaken about those, but I'm not unsure!

C'es ne pas un .sig

18 minutes ago, HorusArisen said:

Well Mob, I think, did say we'd see some art previews so let's hope not too long a wait.

Probably not a lot of RQ art in this thread, though (this being a 13G thread).   ;)   But I'm idly curious:  are there are (m)any "WTF timetravel???!?" or sumular jokes floating 'round the 13G community, since the "13th Age in Glorantha" is set near the end of Glorantha's 3rd Age...

I expect most of the RQG art to show up in the RQ forum, and particularly the threads for that edition/product.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

11 hours ago, HorusArisen said:

Lol no probably won't be here. Don't really know much about 13th age and probably won't be picking up eit:huh:her 

I may pick it up as a lure-the-d20-players-in tool.

But you should probably be aware of one of the 13G books  the "Glorantha Sourcebook" -- heavy to myth and setting, no game-mechanics at all.

C'es ne pas un .sig

13th Age is one of the better fruits of the d20 tree, IMO. It sort of takes some of the more fun parts of D&D4 and mixes them with some more traditional D&D-isms, but also with some cool qualitative things like you'd see in HQ or FATE. For people who find RQ too elaborately fiddly and HQ too vague and mechanically samey-samey, 13A might well represent a fine "Goldylocks" approach to Glorantha. 

13 hours ago, HorusArisen said:

I've played with the same group for 30 years so no need to lure :)

I'm sure it'll be a good line, just not for me.

I reiterate:  keep the Gloranthan Sourcebook on your radar!  Pure, game-mechanic-neutral setting material.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

29 minutes ago, HorusArisen said:

Won't they do something similar for RQG?

and I'm planning on getting the Guide to Glorantha so is it still worthwhile?

The Guide gives you a great view across Glorantha (peoples, places, some history).

The Glorantha Sourcebook has some slight overlap (elder races), but mostly covers background myths and deities and detailed history of the Lunar Empire and Dragon Pass.  A very good complement to the Guide.

While they've announced a Bestiary and a GM's book and scenarios/campaign books, I've not heard of anything else similar to the Guide and Sourcebook.

1 hour ago, HorusArisen said:

Won't they do something similar for RQG?

I doubt that there will be similar products for each game-mechanic; that's the point of doing it "mechanic neutral" after all -- such a book is equally-applicable to RQG, HQ, 14G, or even GURPS (Glorantha Universal Role Playing System :P) . 

1 hour ago, HorusArisen said:

and I'm planning on getting the Guide to Glorantha so is it still worthwhile?

The G2G is a comprehensive, pan-Gloranthan encyclopedia; but it runs toward the broad-brush view; big as it is, it doesn't have much scope for tight-focus material.  GS has that tight focus (or so I understand), on the myths &c, mostly of one specific area.

Early-on, @Jeff described ( https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?750292-Glorantha-Were-to-start-What-do-you-like-about-this-setting&p=18778786#post18778786 ) it as:

The Sourcebook is system neutral and is intended to complement HQG and/or 13th Age Glorantha. It summarizes some of the material in the Guide, contains far more information on myths, and focuses more on Dragon Pass, Kethaela, Prax, and the Lunar Provinces.

Also of some interest:

Yes, there's some reading to do there... sorry, but going through it all to summarize is more work than I can afford at the moment.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig