16th century Europe campaign

Mjollnir

I am running a Mythras game set in early 16th century Central Europe, and have made some modifications and additions to suit the setting and my tastes.

I've already posted some of these on the Design Mechanism forum, but I thought I'd share them here too.

House Rules - Alternate Download Link

Here I redefine SIZ to be a direct measure of mass, correlate SIZ to STR, define how MP are regained, make some changes to the Damage Modifier rules, and introduce a different way of using XP rolls to increase characteristics.

Currency - Alternate Download Link

A quick summary currency for the setting, rules agnostic.

Equipment Costs - Alternate Download Link

A list of setting appropriate equipment, priced in pounds, shillings and pence, with ENC values.

Equipment Descriptions - Alternate Download Link

Descriptions of select aforementioned equipment, with necessary stats.

Armor - Alternate Download Link

Charts of armor appropriate to the setting, what they protect, and their ENC values.

Weapons - Alternate Download Link

Charts of weapons appropriate to the settings, and all their stats.

Edited by Mjollnir
added alternate download links
  • Like 3

Sounds interesting, my good man, alas! - the links are working not!

If thou fix't the links one may behold and cherish thy effort. Such would enlighten the mind and may a good Christian gamer's spirit jump with glee.

(That's the best kinda-sorta 16th century English I can muster.)

I've added alternate download links.

Combat Styles - Alternate Download Link

Here are some setting specific, historical combat styles, with my own house-rules on getting multiple traits.

Combat Style Traits - Alternate Download Link

Here is a compilation of the Combat Style Traits to accompany the preceding document.

Magic - Alternate Download Link

Setting specific types of magic, based on historical occult traditions, with my own house-rules baked in, as well as rule derivations lovingly borrowed from Pete Nash's Arcania of Legend: Blood Magic.

Arcane SkillsAlternate Download Link

Skills of an arcane nature that I have expanded upon (Hypnotism, Alchemy, Astrology, Vivisection). I adapted the Alchemy skill the MRQ2 Arms & Equipment by our moderator Loz, as I found it to be the best version of alchemy in any d100 game.

Formulae and Potions - Alternate Download Link

Some potions and stuff for alchemists and herbalists to make.

New Spells - Alternate Download Link

A bunch of new spells to go with the Magic described above. Many of the spells were adapted from Spells of Legend by Prime_Evil

• Like 2

In general I like the ideas.  However, I would suggest that Marozzo (1536?) the Dardi school more appropriate for a 16th century setting than dei Liberi (1409). 

I've always been a bit mixed on combining ranged and melee weapons into one weapon style.  Just doesn't seem that being a good crossbowman would also lead to being good with a short sword.  YMMV.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fulk said:

I've always been a bit mixed on combining ranged and melee weapons into one weapon style.  Just doesn't seem that being a good crossbowman would also lead to being good with a short sword.  YMMV.

I think beginning a character with a mix of same-skill weapons as a "weapon style" makes some sense, IF it reflects a cohesive "training" program such as a militia.  Guys who take to the sword naturally, but are a bit weak with the crossbow, get assigned extra practice where they are weak.  Hence a uniform degree of expertise at the end of training.

Not so much on an ongoing basis... I really expect differentiation after "boot camp," unless a commander is in charge who ardently pursues "all my troops must be trained to uniform standards".

Other "combat styles" being so uniform has never sat well with me; not even military ones.  Take the "Balestrieri genovesi" for example, part of Genoa's standing army, also troops on crusade, & later mercenaries hired-out by Genoa...  They were really a crossbow-only troop; I presume most of them had some sort of backup weapon, but it would have been a bit ad-hoc, and not trained to the same degree (a mere dagger was the only other "weapon" that was part of their official gear).  And as for some "Street Rat" Combat Style -- say, dagger H2H & thrown, cosh, & club -- I don't buy uniformity of skill there AT ALL... not even at beginning of play!

I go ahead and accept the RAW at first, but I do per-weapon (not per-CombatStyle) skill-improvements after that.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

There is also the career of Hunter, which certainly entails both ranged and hand weapons.

In our game, each CS has 4 weapons, one of which is either solely ranged or can be used at range.  It may be dagger, hatchet, or short spear, but those have the Thrown trait, so, fine.  Commoners often have Thrown Rock.

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!

On 8/11/2017 at 11:03 PM, fulk said:

In general I like the ideas.  However, I would suggest that Marozzo (1536?) the Dardi school more appropriate for a 16th century setting than dei Liberi (1409). 

The time period in which my game is set is from the 1480's to the 1510's. For campaign reasons I wanted it to be pre-Reformation, as once the Reformation begins, it overshadows everything else.

So dei Liberi's style can still be around, but it's too early for anything from the 1530's.

15 hours ago, HeirophantX said:

Appreciate your rules but where's the setting info? Where in Central Europe are you thinking? 

The setting info is in history books, my head, and some notes. I don't have the time (or ability) to write a Stupor Mundi or Merrie England. I wrote these up for my own use, but I posted them here because I thought others might find them useful.

My game is set in Bavaria, The Alps, the Black Forest. Italian city states to the south. Slavic culture in Bohemia to the east. Encroaching Ottoman Turks in the Balkans .

• Like 1

On 12/08/2017 at 6:03 AM, fulk said:

I agree, except for some very special cases, such as "Pirate" profiles fighting with a saber in one hand, and a pistol in the other.

Edited by Mugen

• 1 month later...