BRP Rules with other RPGs

PK Games

What (if any) pre-existing game settings do you use the BRP rules with instead of the existing rules for that setting?

I've heard (er read) people mention (er write about) BRP Rifts, BRP A/State, BRP Fading Suns and we have seen samples of BRP Middle Earth are th ere any others and do you have write ups for them?

I would love to see a BRP Rifts PDF (if Palladium doesnt want to see it, thats their issue) and BRP Fading Suns PDF or even Dark Heresy as BRP.

I am beginning to hate BRP for all the ideas and creativity and motivation it gives me. Unfocused and unregulated I will start three dozen projects and finish none before the next shiny idea spats me in the face.

What (if any) pre-existing game settings do you use the BRP rules with instead of the existing rules for that setting?

I've heard (er read) people mention (er write about) BRP Rifts, BRP A/State, BRP Fading Suns and we have seen samples of BRP Middle Earth are there any others and do you have write ups for them?

There used to be a couple of web sites with BRP Dark Sun notes which has been discussed here, and there is a pretty comprehensive online resource for Greyhawk using RuneQuest.

I would love to see a BRP Rifts PDF (if Palladium doesn't want to see it, thats their issue) and BRP Fading Suns PDF or even Dark Heresy as BRP.

sadly however, it might well NOT just be Palladium's issue - their online policy (rightly or wrongly) is pretty unambiguous that publishing actual Palladium stats and stats for other companies systems with clear conversion notes is not something they permit. Whether they have the resources to enforce that is a separate issue - frankly I'm not sure it's worth the grief... Especially as one could take the broad concepts of RIFTS and write a new setting that Palladium have no claim over.

I am beginning to hate BRP for all the ideas and creativity and motivation it gives me. Unfocused and unregulated I will start three dozen projects and finish none before the next shiny idea spats me in the face.

I have a bizarre and inexplicable compulsion to try and make a BRP Spelljammer conversion work (possibly I need medical help...) and I must find time to go back to my BRP Jorune conversion.

But to be honest, I'm more enthused by newideas, and frustrated that I haven't got the time to develop them all...

Cheers,

Nick

BRP Spelljammer

Yes, you do need medical help...go quickly, we'll wait!

Ahem, I am now the proud owner of THE BRP Hackjob, as I call it...all of the following have all been converted to BRP. Some of them work very well, and others...not so well:

D+D 2nd Edition

(Settings are: Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Darksun, Spelljammer, HackMaster and Planescape)

D+D 3rd Edition

(Settings are: Forgotten Realms)

D20 stuff...Farscape, StarGate, Babylon 5 and the excellent Ghost in the Shell from Chris Dias :thumb:

Paranoia (Old skool West End Games)

The OWOD (AKA Old World of Darkness) including:

Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Mummy, Hunter, Wraith, The Risen, Kindred of the East, The Inquisition, Changeling :mad: and Project:Twilight)

Vampire the Dark Ages and Werewolf the Dark Ages

Legacy (the hard copy book about Immortals. I think I have the only copy of this thing ;-( )

In Nomine

Armageddon

BattleTech

Renegade Legion

Jovian Chronicles

Aeon AKA Trinity (that really crappy sci-fi setting put out by WW)

Abberant

StarTrek (LUGTrek AND FASATrek) including ToS,DS9 and TNG.

MegaTraveller and T20

Warhammer 40,000 combined with Dark Heresy combined with Inquisition

Warhammer FRP

some random notes for Obsidian (one of them Fantasy Heartbreakers I've heard sooooo much about, I'm assuming >:-> )

ALIENS

Car Wars

About 30 different GURPS books (Supers, SpecOps, Traveller, Cyberworld, Mecha, though I can't seem to convert The Munchkins Guide to Powergaming to BRP :mad: )

Chill (which is pretty worthless, basically CoC without GOO's)

Champions WAY TOO much math to be useful!

Fuzion (New Champions setting)

Mekton II and Roadstriker II

Cyberpunk 2013 and 2020

Cyberspace (Arghh I lost the book in 2005...during redeployment, anyone got an extra copy laying around...I love that game!!)

Shadowrun (conversion didn't work too well, much more a translation)

Star Wars D20

Star Wars WEG (conversion, not so much, but as source material to add to the BRP D20 Star Wars)

AND...

Most of the Palladium MegaVerse such as all the Robotech settings, RIFTS (just about five books, it got pretty silly after 1998), TMNT, Nightspawn, Ninjas and Superspies and a very, very tiny part of Revised Recon (pretty much some add in stuff for alignments and behavior)

All the notes for that crap fills one shelf

All the campaign notes fill another

Granted, a lot of the notes are simply...straight conversions of stats (formulas) or translation stuff, such as for attribute modifiers, etc.

What I have generally done is just use BRP as the base layer and only changed stuff if the setting would not be able to be adequately represented by the existing rules.

The hardest parts (most time consuming) is the conversion of statistics, weapons damage and HP of objects. Once you knock that stuff out, it is pretty easy.

I don't think the issue is putting up formulas and other sort of non copyrighted stuff, the issue is putting up SAMAS Powered Armor, HP = XX, and taking the source material and putting it up online. I think that if you put up information that was only of use IF you possessed the BOTH the original game book that you want to convert AND the book that you are converting to, then it's not hurting their business. If you just put up the book as a standalone item, that would not only be a crappy thing to do, it would also be cause for legal action. :focus:

If you just put up a little Excel Spreadsheet with a conversion feature from PB to ATT, I don't think anyone could get that pissed.

After all it's not like they have copyrighted the statistic range 3-18 is it?

-STS

Edited by sladethesniper

Guest Vile Traveller

Well, I've run BRP games in the Traveller universe (Golden Era Spinward Marches), Middle Earth, Greyhawk, the Expert D&D world (whatever that was called), Boot Hill, Aftermath and Shadowrun (first edition). To be honest, there wasn't that much conversion work involved, except for the D&D spell conversions, and I was young then with lots of time and lots of energy. BRP tends to run with very little in the way of extra rules required when you port over into other settings.

There are just some settings out there that I have an interest in but hate the current systems. Dragon Star for example. Dark Sun (thanks for reminding me of that). Fading Suns. And while I overall like Dark Heresy (I give it a B+) I may like it more if it were BRP based.

As for Rifts, I really like the core setting (Coalition, and the first 4 or so books). It just everything else I despise about the setting and game. And I hate level systems.

A good Shadowrun conversion is something I would be very interested in. I like the background and the new rules are a step in the right direction, but they are still too complicated for my taste (not streamlined enough).

It's probably easy to take over the shadowrun magic system and find a way to convert the skills, but the cyber/bioware-, net-, vehicle- and creature-conversion all require some work. If you want to be on the same standard as the original books, it would be best to convert the stats of the archetypes, too. It adds up to a lot of work...

I would not mind seeing a BRP conversion of Chronopia.

I liked the minis game and got a kick out of the setting.

Well, if the Chronopia setting you mention is the same as Target Games' "Drakar och Demoner: Chronopia", then there already is a BRP-clone: Drakar & Demoner v. 5. Unfortunately (for most people) it's in Swedish and it's also out of print...

Peter Brink

Well, if the Chronopia setting you mention is the same as Target Games' "Drakar och Demoner: Chronopia", then there already is a BRP-clone: Drakar & Demoner v. 5. Unfortunately (for most people) it's in Swedish and it's also out of print...

I've often wondered if that was the case, but have no ability to read Swedish, so I couldn't verify. Since the first edition of the wargame was made by Target Games, I imagine the setting is the same.

In that case, I'll back up and say I'd like a BRP version of Chronopia in a language I can read. Or, learn Swedish. Whichever comes first. ;)

I have a bizarre and inexplicable compulsion to try and make a BRP Spelljammer conversion work (possibly I need medical help...) and I must find time to go back to my BRP Jorune conversion.

Cheers,

Nick

Jorune certainly deserves to be revisited with a better system. I thought I was the only one who wanted something better for Spelljammer. I believed Spelljammer was a cool idea but I was disappointed by just about every aspect of it. How can you publish a space rpg without a spaceship combat game? You had ships. You had stats. But no goddamn rules?!

There was certainly something intriguing about the original Dark Sun. It became less interesting to me the more they tried to cram it into the AD&D paradigm. It would be more attractive as an original BRP campaign world without the D&D baggage.

Jorune certainly deserves to be revisited with a better system.

Jorune's third edition rule system, once patched with the Sholari Pack errata, is actually pretty good and I'd happily run or play it again - but I think BRP is a good fit for the setting, and would make it more accessible for people (as do the numerous other conversions that are available).

I thought I was the only one who wanted something better for Spelljammer. I believed Spelljammer was a cool idea but I was disappointed by just about every aspect of it. How can you publish a space rpg without a spaceship combat game? You had ships. You had stats. But no goddamn rules?!

Somewhere in there there is a fabulous, gonzo "fantasy space" setting struggling to get out of the straightjacket of D&D cliché's. And it gets tantalisingly close at times... If I ever have the time I'd love to have a crack at building a BRP "Fantasy Space" setting from the ground up and I think if I'm honest Spelljammer very defintely falls in the "it would cool to create a BRP setting that riff's on the same idea" category, rather than actually doing a conversion.

There was certainly something intriguing about the original Dark Sun. It became less interesting to me the more they tried to cram it into the AD&D paradigm. It would be more attractive as an original BRP campaign world without the D&D baggage.

The original boxed set I think works really well as a setting, even if one retains a lot of the features that were driven by it's being a D&D setting (Elemental Clerics, Druids, ubiquitous psionics), as these can be translated in to BRP terms fairly easily. But I'd ignore the metaplot and being highly selective of the material from the subsequent supplements.

But Dark Sun, like Jorune, is definitely a candidate for an actual specific conversion I think.

Cheers,

Nick

-Gate City-

Take ethereal realm, throw in Isles and buikld cities on them, now make Ships and give them magical engins and generators that uttilze the ability to open portal from the ethereal to real space, " A.K.A Brajuris ships and Taght Engines with starrez Crystals to power them!

you have a multi metroplex with guilds that control the ships and a society that exist to consume and rad other world to get what they want!

the city name is sadazar with a mile high Tower in the center of the city!

this tower base is the public building and guild congress but it uper levels are hangers for the guilds ships to lunch from.

any one and every one is here, heck I just ran in to some thinder God last week when I went to a local Pub near the tower! the enemy of THIS BUCKNEER Society is the Illitha " Cuthuiods Brain eaters who own civilization dwell in what called the deep>Ether<

where as Sadazar Isle as it where floats near the shallows, how can you tell in the ether, well the shollows is the ether closer to real space and the deep difts closer to void or beyound ! some say other realities !

well that is all in my Book i am working on called Gravequest!

but for right now I am converting mongoose Conan into a brp Called age of Conan! I well post it when I am done.

also Check out a additive system called Techniques I down loaded and see if anyo ne can make heads or tails of it and let me know hat you all think, and if you like to twick it too well I can't stop you ! :thumb: