Packages - adapting the rules to your game

Let us introduce one of the innovations we wish to adopt to enhance the forthcoming Revolution D100 product lines, and to encourage the community of players to share their own worlds: rule packages. Here you can find the template to create your own package.

A package is a series of rules configurations which adapt the core rules of Revolution D100 to the game you wish to run by removing unsuitable options and making generic skills, traits and powers more suited to the genre or setting.

You can use the template either as a checklist of things to do before starting a game in your own setting, or as a guideline to creating your own game world. Revolution D100 is OGL, so if you have created a package you can either share it freely as open game content, or even sell it as a commercial product. We encourage you to do the former, but the latter is indeed possible, with ot without the involvement of Alephtar Games.

A good setting relies more on a fascinating description of the fictional or historical world it is about than on the rules, but sometimes having the rules interspersed with the narrative can be confusing. If your setting is already well described in a novel, a comic book, a movie, a TV show or a series of historical essays - in other words, if you are already envisioning the world you wish to roleplay in - then a package that tailors the game rules to your imagination is all you need to start playing. And this does not prevent the author from adding more narrative at a later time and growing the package into a full fledged game supplement.

In the forthcoming months we will release free downloads of packages for game settings that are already published or about to be published, as well as packages for old products, for instance Crusaders of the Amber Coast, that we do not wish to republish using Revolution D100. Anyone can make and share their own packages, as long as they do not violate copyright and do not contain questionable contents.

• Like 3

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

I like the idea of a Rules Package and the template is a nice way of doing this.

Shame about Crusaders of the Amber Coast, though.

Templates for published and other settings would be great.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

For more clarity, I'd rename  "Power types for [belief system]" as "Standard Power systems for [belief system]" or "Power systems from the core rules for [belief system]"

and

[Power System] as [Specific Power System]

If I understand properly the template...

Edited by Zit

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

What about the creatures ?

So I actually already shared a Mesopotamian package on D100.fr 😄. I'm close to share a second one for the Sarmates. They are unfortunately both in French. I shall adapt them to the template, although they are already rather close to it.

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

Cool! On a déjà des paquets (We already have some packages).

The bestiary is not supposed to be in an open file that everyone will read. However, for character creation it could be necessary to specify the creature stats of all species available as player characters. And peculiar creatures which adventurers can use as mounts and companions should be there, too. So for instance a Shade Land package should include the stats for Thuls (they are not in the core but you can use them as PCs, as you could see when we played "The Son of Darkness" online), and the stats for Hyppodactyls and Wingsaurs. 

18 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

Here comes the first package: Sengoku Jidai. Grab your tachi, don your do-maru and pray to the Buddhas, because the age of the warring states has come to Japan.

I read it, and I think it's very good.

However, I have 2 points to make after a quick read :

-As far as I know, the term "yakuza" was not in use before the edo period, and should therefore not be used in sengoku jidai.

-"kannushi" is on some occasions mispelled "kannuchi".

4 hours ago, Mugen said:

-As far as I know, the term "yakuza" was not in use before the edo period, and should therefore not be used in sengoku jidai.

-"kannushi" is on some occasions mispelled "kannuchi".

I stand corrected. In fact, the manuscript will be reviewed by experts of the Nipponese language living in Tokyo and Osaka before publishing the campaign, so we will take care of these and others which you might have missed.

• Like 1

When I have time, I'll pit together a package for Land of Ice and Stone, for Old Stone Age roleplaying. Currently it's for Legend, but should be very easy to adapt to Revolution.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 2 weeks later...

Other Package Ideas

• Investigative Horror (Call of Cthulhu, Delta Green, Conspiracy X)
  • Modern Supernatural Investigative (Dresden Files, Buffy, Hellboy, Atomic Robo)
  • Supernaturals Horror (anything from the Chronicles of Darkness or Werewolf the Apocalypse lines)
  • Transhuman Scifi
  • Classic Scifi
  • Supernatural Western
  • Grimdark Fantasy (Warhammer, Zwiehander)

3 minutes ago, Archivist said:

Other Package Ideas

• Modern Supernatural Investigative (Dresden Files, Buffy, Hellboy, Atomic Robo)

This one I will certainly do, but not immediately. Some of the others will receive a full supplement treatment.

By the way: Sverre has opened a Revolution D100 section in the Download area. User-made packages are welcome!

• Like 1

I am finally getting time to take a better look at RD100,  and I must say I really like what has been done with BRP in this ruleset. I have had similar notions over the years but never rolled anything out, so its good to see some of those concepts are in print. And keep these Packages coming as well, its another idea that I'm liking. 

Great work Paolo!

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Edited by Mankcam
Made a mistake - can't find the Delete Post option

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 5/23/2018 at 5:54 PM, RosenMcStern said:

Thank you Cameron. Did you actually get the hardcovers yet? Tracking reports an attempted delivery yesterday, but no success. They should be at your post office waiting for you.

Yes I when down to the local post office and picked it up yesterday. I sent you a PM via Ulule, thank you.

Greatly appreciated Paolo

Edited by Mankcam