Dear Chaosium and the RQG Team -- Thank You

creativehum

I know I've been pushing hard against the text of the new book. I know I've been asking a lot of questions. I know sometimes my own frustration has made me phrase things in ways that don't make me happy -- and those phrasings can't be sugar whispers to the ears of everyone who worked on this new book and this new line of an RPG classic.

So I wanted to make something clear:

I know how hard you guys have worked on this game. I know how hard you worked on this book. I know how hard it is to write RPG text. (Like, really, I know.)

You have produced a new version of a game that has existed since the start of the hobby. And has gone through a half-dozen variations over those four decades. You've obviously put a lot of work and love into the book and the plans for the line.

If there is frustration in my posts on occasion (and I suspect this might be true for others as well) it is because I sense there is a lot lot joy and wonder in these pages and there is a lot of work on my part to pull it out. I want to make sure to get what everyone else is talking about, and has been talking about for years. I want to get all the terrific details and magic and culture resting in the book and waiting for me to bring them to my friends.

And if I have desire to do this it is only because the game system is rich, the setting is rich, and you have built a book that brings both of these things closer together than they ever have in any previous edition of RuneQuest.

So, I want you to know I appreciate all the work. I appreciate all the effort you are making now to get the game released in print, to answer our question, to ponder our questions, and work diligently to make the best game and game line you can.

Wanted to say that.

Thanks.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

Thank you for this sentiment!

I'll admit that sometimes it's difficult to even visit this forum at times, versus spending the time working on the books. This is still a part-time job for me and I need to prioritize my time carefully, so forums and other social media sometimes don't get the attention they deserve. 

It's good to be reminded that complaints about errors, demands for clarification, etc. stem from passionate enthusiasm, not negativity. 

Thanks for your support! 

• Like 11

Jason you are right, it is nice to get a few bouquets among the brickbats. Overall I am delighted with the product, and I will say nothing more at this point so as not to ruin that sentiment!

You are lucky if 1% bother to say 'that bit is done really well' but the 'passionate enthusiasm' really kicks in when you see a bit you don't like!

I think the sheer volume of comments shows how engaged everyone (0.K. 99%) are with this product, and generally they just want to polish it even brighter.

So 'thank you' from me as well. I have enjoyed RQ since second edition back in the early 80's, and this new line will give me tons of new stuff to play with.

Cheers. 

Yes its the best edition yet.

From what I've read so far the changes that have been made in combat have really helped to focus the rules on the good stuff. Cleaning it up & keeping it a tasty level of crunch. For instance I much prefer the new approach to parry and dodge. Away from combat the character generation takes you right into the heart of the game. Passions and Runes are inspired.

I need to plough on in and read the magic chapters now.  Congratulation Chaosium, you've cooked up a treat...just need to get my hands on that monstrous bestiary now!

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp

8 hours ago, Jason Durall said:

Thank you for this sentiment!

I'll admit that sometimes it's difficult to even visit this forum at times, versus spending the time working on the books. This is still a part-time job for me and I need to prioritize my time carefully, so forums and other social media sometimes don't get the attention they deserve. 

It's good to be reminded that complaints about errors, demands for clarification, etc. stem from passionate enthusiasm, not negativity. 

Thanks for your support! 

Yeah, some part of my brain thought...

"What if I was Jason...?" 
"Oh, shit!"

So, yeah. Bravo.

I got to the first pages of the Runes chapter last night. Runes for Inspiration! Runes for Personality! Conflicting Runes! Runes for Personality Disputes! 

This stuff is gold!

As King Arthur Pendragon is one of my favorite RPGs ever you can imagine my delight. But it isn't simply tacked on. It brings the runic energy of Glorantha as a living force in all creatures right to the forefront of both the setting and the rules! I was so excited about this stuff. Thanks!

So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

Also: 

The way the different categories of Runes are applied and work in different ways, so there sense of the categories being more than a label but a real difference between categories. Really, really smart stuff.

Edited by creativehum

So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

I've been reading the RQ:G PDF on my phone here and there, gradually making progress. And I'm stunned. It's far, far better than I was expecting, and I was already expecting it to be very good! I think you've really outdone yourselves this time, Chaosium. The background material is superbly integrated, giving readers a feel for Glorantha as they go through the rules. There will inevitably be the odd issue here and there in such a huge book (as with any big book), but the art, the layout, and the raw text itself are superb. I really can't wait for the Bestiary, GM's book, and all the other forthcoming content even if it's just one-tenth as good as the core rules.

Bravo!

Well said, OP.

I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere on this forum: my nit-picking and questioning stems from the fact that it's RuneQuest, so I want it to be perfect. 🙂

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

34 minutes ago, trystero said:

Well said, OP.

I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere on this forum: my nit-picking and questioning stems from the fact that it's RuneQuest, so I want it to be perfect. 🙂

Seconded.  And I recognize that sometimes that comes off as carping, my apologies. 

Jason has done a magnificent job of archaeological renovation, taking 50 years of mechanics and weaving them into a fresh whole.  Would I have made all the same choices?  Nope, but I'm in the cheap seats, it's very easy to mutter from here because nothing I say is of actual consequence to the product or my own career.  And besides, as he said, it's a rules framework; it's meant to be a starting point for people to run their games, not as a straitjacket.  MGF.

I am reading the RQG core book since few weeks, i have played few session using it as player and i am enthusiastic!

Sure, i want more, and especially about all Dragon Pass cults. But i want more because i love this game!

I have never played on previous version of RQ, but i think that this one is great!

So thanks Chaosium!

15 hours ago, styopa said:

Jason has done a magnificent job of archaeological renovation, taking 50 years of mechanics and weaving them into a fresh whole.  

To give credit where it is due, Jeff did the lion's share of work on this book.

I came in and edited, clarified what needed it (obviously missed some things), and added bits and pieces where they were required. I did a lot of reorganizing. But this is Jeff's book through and through.

We had incredible contributions from others on the writing team, but without Jeff's work there simply would be no new RuneQuest

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jason Durall said:

To give credit where it is due, Jeff did the lion's share of work on this book.

I came in and edited, clarified what needed it (obviously missed some things), and added bits and pieces where they were required. I did a lot of reorganizing. But this is Jeff's book through and through.

We had incredible contributions from others on the writing team, but without Jeff's work there simply would be no new RuneQuest

Now Jason when the mob comes wielding pitchforks and burning torches you'll not get away so easily 😉

PS. I'm enjoying just reading the book 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2018 at 8:31 AM, Mac said:

Echoing all of the above.....now....if I could just find some players😗

Just take a ferry down to Seattle, eh?  I know it's WotC turf, but I'm sure you could turn some of the gamers there to the RQG side of the Force...  😉

edit:  and, of course, I am 100% in accord with the OP and others on this thread.  Magnificent work, Chaosium!!!

Edited by g33k
oversight

C'es ne pas un .sig