Animals of Fronela?

GianniVacca

If it has a trunk and tusks, it can be found in or around Fonrit, but mastodons and mammoths are (also) native to northern Fronela.

Archaic and less archaic rhinos are quite at home in both Pamaltela and (the woolly variant) in northern Fronela, too (provided it wasn't hunted to extinction by the trolls).

The killer pig isn't necessary for Glorantha, we have enough over-sized Tusker boars to populate our semi-wilds.

No idea whether there are giant sloths anywhere in Glorantha, and hardly any idea where to look for humped camels.

The older, marine fossils are found wherever you have marine sediment - IMO these sediments formed before the Earth broke out of the waters, much like mother of pearl, on a more than continent wide scale. While the Earth Cube was (concentrated) food to the Sea Tribe, depleted debris settled down as sandstone or chalky sediments. Benthic marine organisms would have accreted more of that stuff, also on the flanks and below, and later on in the cracks.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

22 hours ago, Joerg said:

If it has a trunk and tusks, it can be found in or around Fonrit, but mastodons and mammoths are (also) native to northern Fronela.

Archaic and less archaic rhinos are quite at home in both Pamaltela and (the woolly variant) in northern Fronela, too (provided it wasn't hunted to extinction by the trolls).

The killer pig isn't necessary for Glorantha, we have enough over-sized Tusker boars to populate our semi-wilds.

No idea whether there are giant sloths anywhere in Glorantha, and hardly any idea where to look for humped camels.

The older, marine fossils are found wherever you have marine sediment - IMO these sediments formed before the Earth broke out of the waters, much like mother of pearl, on a more than continent wide scale. While the Earth Cube was (concentrated) food to the Sea Tribe, depleted debris settled down as sandstone or chalky sediments. Benthic marine organisms would have accreted more of that stuff, also on the flanks and below, and later on in the cracks.

Fossils are alive, they just move very slowly. Source: the Snake Pipe Hollow

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, davecake said:

To be more specific, the giant sloths are in the yellow elf jungles of Pamaltela.

That's weird, as I picture them being cohabitants of the less hairy Columbian mammoth in the savannah of central North America prior to the ice age. I have no problem imagining Amazonian sloths in the jungle, obviously, but these ground sloths require more open woodlands than I would expect in the Pamaltelan elf jungle.

On the other hand, lowland gorillas live in such an environment, so having such big vegetarians down in the jungle must be possible. Still, a lot depends on what kinds of jungle we find in the Errinorru forests.

Gigantism is thought to be a reaction to predators getting bigger (and vice versa), and Anaxial's Roster describes one such arms race in the relationship between wolves and deer, leading to horned wolves and shell deer. So which large predators forced the ground sloths to become even larger?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

53 minutes ago, Joerg said:

That's weird, as I picture them being cohabitants of the less hairy Columbian mammoth in the savannah of central North America prior to the ice age. I have no problem imagining Amazonian sloths in the jungle, obviously, but these ground sloths require more open woodlands than I would expect in the Pamaltelan elf jungle.

On the other hand, lowland gorillas live in such an environment, so having such big vegetarians down in the jungle must be possible. Still, a lot depends on what kinds of jungle we find in the Errinorru forests.

Gigantism is thought to be a reaction to predators getting bigger (and vice versa), and Anaxial's Roster describes one such arms race in the relationship between wolves and deer, leading to horned wolves and shell deer. So which large predators forced the ground sloths to become even larger?

Errinoran Terror Birds? Sabertooth something? Hell Pigs (less likely, but cool)? Enormous boa snakes? Lesser Hydras?

The only mention of giant sloths is of the Dirithi, the giant sloth hsunchen, who live in the jungles. I’m presuming there are no other giant sloths, but there are several extinct species, so it’s possible there are other species

I personally think the vast Ernnoru forests are going to contain a range of biomes, and some of them will be suitable for giant sloths. 

22 hours ago, Tindalos said:

There's also a brief mention in the opening of Umathela's section (p. 620) where they're mentioned as one of the man kinds of megafauna living in their forests and river valleys.

I missed that somehow - yes, there are Joergs forest dwelling giant sloths. A different species to the ones in the jungles, I guess