LM sorcery... and Orlanth

Shiningbrow

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Lhankor Mhy teaches sorcery to its initiates (possibly also Lay Members... sorcery isn't really that much of a secret, after all... Just complex). And once learned, it can't be unlearned (as far as runes and techniques go).

In older versions of RQ, many cults would not allow their initiates to know any sorcery, and would require that any spells etc be forgotten.

Now that LM has sorcery, is that rule going to apply to other Orlanthi pantheon cults? Or would LM initiates who know sorcery automatically be excluded from joining their other associated cults?

(a similar query also revolves around shamanism - Kolat - and the rest of the Orlanthis).

• Like 1

The way I'd play it is that an Orlanthi cannot learn Sorcery, but someone who knows Sorcery can possibly join Orlanth as an Associate Priest.

Arkat is the most famous example, he gave his Sorcery Regalia to the Orlanth temple. Can't remember where I read that, but it was fairly recent.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

LM's purification of sorcery is a specific ability granted to his worshippers through the Law Rune--the Alien Combination machine. That makes their sorcery a holy, 'godful' (not godless) thing in Heortling culture. So I would say that LMs who know sorcery can join other cults and still keep their sorcery, because the thing that makes sorcery objectionable (its atheistic quality) doesn't apply here. 

• Like 2

According to Jeff, those cults allow for Sorcery: CA, Eurmal, Issaries, LM, and plenty of others. When I asked for the cpmplete list, I have been directed to the Gods and Goddesses book, but Orlanth is not in the list: " So if you want to become a sorcerer and understand Runes and Techniques, you can still worship Orlanth as a lay member or as an initiate of an associated cult that permits sorcery, but you can't initiate into HIS mysteries. Aeolian sorcerers worship Orlanth but are not initiates of his cult. Wizards are initiates of <AEOL> (or whatever we end up calling it). They worship Orlanth (and other gods) as lay members, but do not participate in Orlanth's mysteries as initiates. "

13 hours ago, Bohemond said:

LM's purification of sorcery is a specific ability granted to his worshippers through the Law Rune--the Alien Combination machine.

I have my doubts about this.  The Alien Combination Wheel is not to purify sorcey but to make it intelligible  to his worshippers.  Moreover I don't think it is the source of Lhankor's sorcery but something that his worshippers picked up from the Machine City in the Imperial Age (cf the Middle Sea Empire p39-40) as they had the philosophy of exploring combinations.  I think a similar mechanism is used in Kralorela and claimed to be an invention of Godunya's.

7 hours ago, EricW said:

Is Invisible Orlanth a sorcerous Orlanth cult?

I would like to know. Previously (=in RQIII), we have assumed that Orlanthi were not allowed to use sorcery except Heortland Aeolians, Invisible Orlanth Carmanians and a few other Arkati (Henotheist Church of Oktorion, IIRC).

6 hours ago, JonL said:

Yeah, the Heortlings are not all the Orlanthi. The Chariot of Lightning and the Aoleans are obviously ok with it, probably others I don't remember too. 

What is the Chariot of Lightning? This is the 1st time I see this name.

Edited by Kloster
Add 'Henotheist Church'

5 hours ago, JonL said:

Yeah, the Heortlings are not all the Orlanthi. The Chariot of Lightning and the Aoleans are obviously ok with it, probably others I don't remember too. 

Keep in mind that with RQG lay membership in a cult is actually important. You do not get Rune Magic as a lay member but you are a part of the cult.

5 hours ago, JonL said:

The Chariot of Lightning has its own work arounds, as its initiates hold that Orlanth is the Supreme Deity (and not merely primus inter pares).

2 minutes ago, metcalph said:

A Ralian Cult mentioned in the Guide to Glorantha.  They rule Otkorion and believe Orlanth to be the supreme being.

OK, thanks. I think this is what was called 'Henotheist Church of Oktorion' in an old Tradetalk.

22 hours ago, Brootse said:

Do the Aeolians get Divine intervention?

I think that those initiated to a cult can have normally. Those that are only Lay members should not. I don't think that the fact of being an Aeolian can change anything on that matter.