Cat People Race?

Tywyll

49 minutes ago, umlauthuth said:

Isn't there two cat-themed CoC spinoffs? 

"Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" is a Mythos/Dreamlands story with cats.

Call of Catthulhu is a lightweight RPG that can be played comedic / spoof, or straight.

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 7/4/2019 at 6:39 PM, umlauthuth said:

There's also Cathulhu, which IIRC uses CoC 7e. 

It's 7th edition that uses a D100 rating for characteristics?  In which case, Cathulhu: Velvet Paws on Cthulhu's Trail uses an older edition.  Cathulhu is not to be confused with Call of Catthulhu, another cat RPG with Mythos elements. 

If you want an RPG with cats, but less tied to the Mythos, there is The Cat RPG by John Wick, The Secrets of Cats, or even Strays (which includes dogs and other common pet animals). 

Edited by ORtrail

2 hours ago, colinabrett said:

You mean the dolphins?

<Add major vibrato to following voice than pitch it incredibly high>

Of course not, winged quadruped. Look down, I am referring to us, the little white mice.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 4/11/2019 at 12:05 AM, Tywyll said:

Has any version of BRP/Runequest ever had Cat folk/people statted out? I can't think of any but before I reinvent the wheel for one of my players, I was wondering if such existed out there or had been made for someone's homebrew?

I saw Aslan from Traveller stated out for BRP once.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, seneschal said:

Trailer for the CGI remake of the musical “Cats.”  What do you think?

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5697572/videoplayer/vi2422258713?ref_=m_tt_ov_vi

Not very Cthulhoid, but I guess that's more a tangent to the OP.  But even more than it not being Cthulhoid... it UTTERLY lacks any BRP game mechanics!  No help here at all!  ;)

Also... Google reports to me that the Internet is going into StupidMode over this trailer.  <shrug>

I'm gonna lay the blame on a mix of the Internet's pervasive MeanGirl culture -- who can level the most cutting criticism, in hopes of elevating their own pathetic self-esteem? -- with the USA's really weird Puritan-by-way-of-Evangelical sexual moralistic judgmentalism.  Oh, look!  Some of the actresses in -literal- catsuits actually show their curves!  How eeee-vile!  One moron even wondered why all the sexy-looks in a "kids" show (which, I dunno the movie rating, but the stage play never was!)

<sigh>

C'es ne pas un .sig

Well, the topic is cat people, and the clip shows some rather feline-ish folk.  Almost Thundercats in nature (which is the movie we really want to see).

The criticisms I read had nothing to do with Judeo-Christian morality.  Rather, some people felt the animation and movements fell into the uncanny valley.  Taylor Swift, Jennifer Hudson and other actiors still recognizable despite realistic ears, fur and tail that clearly weren’t a costume.

My wife and I didn’t have that reaction but apparently some folks did.  “Avatar” featured animated cat-like humanoids, but they were blue and nine feet tall and didn’t closely resemble the actors who played them.

Edited by seneschal

7 hours ago, seneschal said:

Well, the topic is cat people, and the clip shows some rather feline-ish folk.  Almost Thundercats in nature (which is the movie we really want to see).

Absolutely!  Bet you could use photos from the play, and soon the movie, to fully illustrate a "cat people" RPG supplement.  I mean... not a commercial book, because OhGodTheLicensingFeesWouldKillYou.  It'd have to be a personal-use fan project by someone obsessive, like a BRPC-regular... But Photoshop-in a few guns for a sci-fi setting, swords & magic-glowy-SFX for fantasy, and good to go!

I'll probably go see it... Though yeah, I'd probably go see a Thundercats movie too!  😁

7 hours ago, seneschal said:

The criticisms I read had nothing to do with Judeo-Christian morality.  Rather, some people felt the animation and movements fell into the uncanny valley.  Taylor Swift, Jennifer Hudson and other actiors still recognizable despite realistic ears, fur and tail that clearly weren’t a costume...

That's interesting.  I didn't see anyone explicitly cite an "uncanny valley" experience (I only looked at the tweetstorm for a few minutes), but I guess some of the criticisms could be down to an unarticulated version of that.

But yeah... I read too many people's reacting to "teh bewbiez" and similar "I will make this be about the sex" attitudes.

Glad you didn't see that -- it gives me hope that I just got an anomalously concentrated set of those reactions, maybe a-inspires-b-inspires-c-etc-etc...  

C'es ne pas un .sig

But David Scott already provided us with stats for the H’Reli.  Granted, Other Suns isn’t BRP and the attributes aren’t necessarily the same, but let’s see how a straight conversion shakes out.  I will assume that WIL (Will?) is equivalent to POW and BLD (Build?) is roughly equivalent to SIZ; characteristics with the same names are considered to be the same.

STR 3d6 (10-11)

CON 2d6+6 (13)

SIZ 3d4+2 (9-10)

INT 2d6+6 (13)

POW 3d6 (10-11)

DEX 3d6+2 (12-13)

APP 3d6 (10-11)

So what we end up with is a petite but physically fit species whose attributes are well within human norms.  The H’Reli are smart and agile but not outrageously so.  They are neither hulking brutes like the Aslan or Kzinti nor super stealthy like the Tiger Men of Mars.  A nicely balanced player-character race.

Edited by seneschal
  • Like 1