Glorantha Miniatures

borbetomagnus

• 1 month later...

This Kickstarter for Pig Orc miniatures isn't Gloranthan, but I like the old school look of the figures. It's how I've always envisioned Orcs. Maybe one day the company will consider doing a set of authentic Dog-Lizard Kobolds.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/boxturtlereb/28mm-old-school-pig-orcs-by-the-legendary-kev-adams

On 4/24/2019 at 8:19 AM, borbetomagnus said:

In your opinions, what miniatures can be used for characters from Sartar, Esrolia, Prax, Hendrikiland, Heortland, Tarsh, Lunar Tarsh, Lunar Empire, Pavis, and Sun County? (Lance & Laser Ancient - Dark Age miniatures)

Magister Militum has Ducks in 15 mm.

https://www.magistermilitum.com/qak3-ducks-with-slings.html

Like most fantasy 15 mm figures, they are a little tall, but they still are pretty nice.

I will be using 15 mm historical mini's in my upcoming campaign; I can't spend too much time painting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 10:20 PM, borbetomagnus said:

This Kickstarter for Pig Orc miniatures isn't Gloranthan, but I like the old school look of the figures. It's how I've always envisioned Orcs. Maybe one day the company will consider doing a set of authentic Dog-Lizard Kobolds.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/boxturtlereb/28mm-old-school-pig-orcs-by-the-legendary-kev-adams

Weren't C. S. Lewis' orcs pigmen?

Edited by Brootse

• 3 months later...

He looked like he had a lot of the component work done last year.   I'm not sure where he is in the process but I will certainly be picking up a copy. 

Right now you can modify Frostgrave into "Pavisgrave", and I have run Simon's "To The Strongest!" for Glorantha based battles (including one in the middle of a RPG session), so to me the figures are more important than the rules.   Rules I can replace, or make up.  Figures for Glorantha can be highly specific.

Pledged! 

I've gotten further behind in my minis painting due to switching jobs three times in the last year and having to spend more hours learning the new responsibilities. But, I'm excited that MadKnight is still producing figures and I'll continue to support them. 

I'm finally going to paint some figures tonight after months long hiatus. I'm glad he's doing some Ducks this time and cavalry too. That wyvern looks awesome!

Saw these and immediately thought they could make some pretty striking Chaos monsters: 

https://www.patreon.com/posts/april-release-49874904 

The moose made me think of Ragnaglar, and the one with the vertical mouth made me think of perhaps something like the Black Eater, while admittedly not Chaotic - or maybe one of the other two of the Trio.

1.jpg?token-time=1619798502&token-hash=1

• Like 1

That is very true. One one hand, the bigger models do often look better... on the other, it does reduce their compatibility with other miniature systems and drives up prices - both good things from GW's perspective, unfortunately, so they're unlikely to stop anytime soon. At least these guys are dwarves, and the scale will roughly balance out hopefully.

The standard size for minis have been increasing in the last decade. I like the 28mm size, but it looks as if more and more manufacturers are going toward 32mm.

With regard to the GW Warhammer line -- are these Kharadron Overlords true to the 28mm base scale or are they closer to 32mm? I like the look of them and agree that they could be used as Gloranthan Iron Mostali. 

It is often called "Heroic scale", and is 32mm or even 36mm scale.  A great example of this was how GW Imperial Guard (ordinary humans) eventually became taller than their iconic Space Marines (who are supposed to be 7-8' tall).  This led to the release of "true scale" Primaris Marines. 

Historical miniatures are generally better in this regard, and while there has been a bit of scale creep, I still have true 28mm miniatures mixed in the many photos that I've posted in this very thread.  The Buffalo Riders being a very strict true 28mm group.  It works well enough with the other figures, although they are clearly bigger if you look. 

The larger figures actually work very well for heroes, monsters, and leaders.

11 hours ago, borbetomagnus said:

With regard to the GW Warhammer line -- are these Kharadron Overlords true to the 28mm base scale or are they closer to 32mm?

According to the product description, they are mounted on 25mm bases. They're a mite taller than the bases are wide (judging by eye, mind) so I'd say they're probably a little under 28mm tall exactly. So next to 'true' 28mm humans, they're pretty chunky. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing though, as I don't recall there being any source definitively stating how tall Mostali are, exactly, apart from being squat in shape. I'm sure there will be a dozen replies calling me a moron and proving me wrong within minutes of my submitting this reply, however. 😉

22 hours ago, Ladygolem said:

According to the product description, they are mounted on 25mm bases. They're a mite taller than the bases are wide (judging by eye, mind) so I'd say they're probably a little under 28mm tall exactly. So next to 'true' 28mm humans, they're pretty chunky. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing though, as I don't recall there being any source definitively stating how tall Mostali are, exactly, apart from being squat in shape. I'm sure there will be a dozen replies calling me a moron and proving me wrong within minutes of my submitting this reply, however. 😉

Thanks for your thoughts and the details that I haven't looked up on the product page about the figures being mounted on 25mm bases. I think that you're judgement is probably right and I'd never say you or anyone else is wrong with using whatever miniature figures you want to use for YOUR Glorantha game. 

I'll probably seek out a set of these GW Kharadron Overlords the next time I stop in my FLGS that stocks GW figures and models. It will just add more to the growing pile of figures I currently have on my backlog of miniatures to paint. But there are worse fates to have in this world than a backlog of gaming miniatures waiting to be painted. 😉

• 1 month later...

Raibanth Line. 

Figures are Fireforge Games Byzantines. I used one box of spearmen and one box of Auxiliaries.  There are left over figures, including 5 slingers that will become Thunder Delta Slingers, and 10 extra melee that I assembled as swordsmen.  Still looking into which unit this might be, but I am thinking Bagnot foot.

This produced one large unit (single rank spearmen, double rank archers), and two regular units -- one rank of each.

20210606_220219.jpg

20210606_220211.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've recently acquired a small resin printer of my own and have been going pretty crazy with it...

If anyone is into 3D printing, some of the dinosaur models available from this artist (this is a combo package of their dino models, they are also available individually) make me think of Glorantha's dinosaurs, particularly the ankylosaur and sauropod with all the equipment on their backs. They'd be great beasts of burden for Dragonewts.

edit: Also stumbled upon this one, a dragonewt with a parasaur mount? (I'm not 100% sure parasaurs are a thing, but I know Magisaurs have the crests, so I assume there's some regular dinosaurs like that as well) Also comes with the lizard-person on their own and the dinosaur on its own.

Edited by ArtsyAlraune
found another goodie

• 3 months later...
On 8/3/2021 at 1:18 AM, ArtsyAlraune said:

If anyone is into 3D printing

I'm beginning to see quite a few figures available that are resin and I guess printed from 3D printers.  I wondered if they were any good and worth getting?  If anyone has experience of these, please do share your opinions!

Some of the ones I've found are:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/958458639/adara-spartan-warrior-bite-the-bullet

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/828955832/spartan-soldiers-mini

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1044571849/freya-the-fearless-32mm-28mm-75mm-ideal 

Thanks for your troubles...