Glorantha Miniatures

borbetomagnus

These are legit, yes?

Picture 1 of 3

For sale on eBay, in case you need tiny RQ spaceships in your life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Running scorpion men as GM vs a Rune level party. I am impressed by hiw many scorpion men I need. 

You can reduce the number greatly by having them overhead in Darkness. Scopionfolk should be able to cling to vertical and overhead surfaces with their spider-like legs, getting the drop (both with dropped items and with their own bodies) instead. As centaur-like creatures, they can disengage from disadvantageous melee like cavalrists can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

11 hours ago, Joerg said:

You can reduce the number greatly by having them overhead in Darkness.

Which is great for theatre of the mind — where the requirement was zero miniatures, anyway — but I am looking forward to pix of upside-down Skorpionmenschen … suspended from hooks? propped up with perspex? 😉

How much does a scorpionperson weigh? Would the tricks that work for spiders, flies, and geckos work for something with so much mass? Is it a matter of intrinsic magic — they are held up by the force of narrative delightfulness — rather than physics? Either way, I love it.

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

On 2/18/2023 at 11:36 AM, Brian Duguid said:

These are legit, yes?

Picture 1 of 3

For sale on eBay, in case you need tiny RQ spaceships in your life.

I saw that on eBay and after some pondering realized what probably happened. These are real Partha minis (spaceships). That is a real Ral Partha RQ minis blister pack. Somebody at the manufacturing site probably grabbed that blister pack to do some ad hoc packaging for someone so the minis wouldn't be rattling around loosely. 

That said, this isn't some unreleased set of RuneQuest minis, a prototype, or similar. There is no product number or description on the package. This isn't much different than me taking a Chaosium box, putting something random in it, and then handing it to someone. This is kind of interesting and a little bit funny, but it isn't really RuneQuest related.

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2023 at 9:22 AM, Squaredeal Sten said:

Running scorpion men as GM vs a Rune level party. I am impressed by hiw many scorpion men I need.  ( If I want to transition from theater of the mind to table top.) Preferably not just a couple of poses.  Has anyone yet cast a large set?

I have a work in progress: I used giant scorpion miniatures from Wizkids, a box of plastic Warlord Games Celtic Warriors, some reaper 40mm bases, and green stuff, model railroad talus, bits box, razor knife, and glue. I was able to do 10 relatively cheaply. I haven’t painted them yet. The extra Celtic warriors are being painted to become Orlanthi militia. The talus - I.e. the boulders you can see on the bases - is to raise the head height of the minis and make them look more threatening.

IMG_0211.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/27/2023 at 8:11 AM, Rick Meints said:

I saw that on eBay and after some pondering realized what probably happened. These are real Partha minis (spaceships). That is a real Ral Partha RQ minis blister pack. Somebody at the manufacturing site probably grabbed that blister pack to do some ad hoc packaging for someone so the minis wouldn't be rattling around loosely. 

That said, this isn't some unreleased set of RuneQuest minis, a prototype, or similar. There is no product number or description on the package. This isn't much different than me taking a Chaosium box, putting something random in it, and then handing it to someone. This is kind of interesting and a little bit funny, but it isn't really RuneQuest related.

Sometimes mis-struck coins and mis-printed stamps become extra-value collector's items.

It's barely-possible some collector might be willing to similarly pay a premium for these... but AFAIK there isn't a widespread tradition of this out in "commercial" (as opposed to gov't-issue) collectibles...

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 1 month later...

Are there any decent 28mm Bison Rider minis out there? The only ones I’ve been able to find are Rapier’s 6mm ones. 

I guess I will need to cobble something together. Last time I did that with some impala tribe worked ok and then Rapier produced some shortly afterwards anyway so hopefully the same thing will happen 🙂

5DFA169C-589B-40B7-B853-1F70767F30EC.jpeg

49D9A7ED-12B4-4BC9-9183-D13C70432414.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I finally finished painting by Mad Knight Trolls - 8 undead trolls - 8 berserker squad trolls - 8 shield wall trolls - and 30 trollking! Yay! Finally done! Next game session - troll attack!

• The undead troll holding a bolder over his head is rather fragile: I ended up gluing a steel pin to his spine to strengthen the miniature. I had to do the same with the great troll with the ball and chain - a bent steel pin is glued to the weapon shaft and to the chain. It's only visible if you look closely. Just something to be aware of if you are doing these sets.

Glorantha-Trolls-army-above.jpg

Glorantha-Trolls-army-front.jpg

Glorantha-Trolls-Berserks-front.jpg

Glorantha-Trolls-Shieldwall-close.jpg

Glorantha-Trolls-Shieldwall-front.jpg

Glorantha-Trolls-trollkin-above-right.jpg

Glorantha-Trolls-Undead-boulder.jpg

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

• 5 weeks later...

Armorcast Dragonewts. These are the old Ral Partha miniatures. You can find them at: https://armorcast.com/miniatures/lance-laser/dragons-dragonkin/. Note that as Armorcast does not have the RQ license, they call them "Dragonkin". The figures are good quality, with very little flash. 

I mounted the crested dragonewts on 20mm round bases and the beaked on 25mm round bases. 

Dragonnewt 5.jpg

Dragonnewt 7.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 4:05 AM, seneschal said:

https://www.magistermilitum.com/era/fantasy.html?cat[0]=60022&cat[1]=59625&cat[2]=61918

Medieval ducks in 15mm.  A fit?  Would 15mm ducks look right alongside 28mm humans?  Are their weapons and armor too advanced for Glorantha?

The ducks prefer light armor, stuff they can swim in.  "too advanced" is not really the issue. it depends on whether you can psint it up to not be 15th century pate mail., Short Swords and crossbows are OK.  Halberds not so much.  Refer to DuckPac. 

The curved sword in the picture looks Lunar, and the Durulz are not Lunar.  but you might rationalize it as a battlefield pick up.  A whole unit of them. no, in my opinion.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
paused to examine picture

On 3/26/2023 at 6:54 AM, mfbrandi said:

Which is great for theatre of the mind — where the requirement was zero miniatures, anyway — but I am looking forward to pix of upside-down Skorpionmenschen … suspended from hooks? propped up with perspex? 😉

How much does a scorpionperson weigh? Would the tricks that work for spiders, flies, and geckos work for something with so much mass? Is it a matter of intrinsic magic — they are held up by the force of narrative delightfulness — rather than physics? Either way, I love it.

Maybe hang them with a wire,, perhaps a paper clip, as they climb on a wall?

But also see the Bestiary, whi h gives them a 50% Climb.  Not a skill level to wLk on the ceiling with. is it?  But YGMV and I did once wake up to see a RW  scorpion on the ceiling, so if you want a shocking image that's it.  You bet I got up fast!

AAR -- Lunars attack the Northern tribes.

Today, the Lunar army attacked the Jonstown confederation plus allied Nomads, and other willing tribes in an attempt to avenge their loss at the battle of Dangerford, where the Eleven Lights were used with devastating effect.  Lunar magicians had calculated when an attack might be made when the Skyfire magics could not be used at least, and so the Empire scraped up what they could, and attacked.

The core rules set was To The Strongest!, with my own additional magic system for Glorantha.  The table was 12 feet long, and supported 8 players.  I couldn't get it all in a single picture!  However the close end of the table (much of which is not seen), is hilly and forested.  The far away end is mostly open, and that is where the cavalry forces clashed.

20240226_153838.thumb.jpg.1399234a5eb008eac3d0f6ec251c5743.jpg

The Lunars were the aggressors, and having the initiative, immediately attacked. 

Lunar Nobles starting position.  By the end of the top of turn 1, they were right in the Rebels faces!

20240226_153919.thumb.jpg.5b5efaa35014045f925706330092ebdf.jpg

Sir Ethilrist's Black Horse Troop was left far out on the left flank, and was facing a lot of bull.

20240226_172216.thumb.jpg.b90e5d0a3c7f855ca92895b0eb0014c1.jpg

The Lunars cheated immediately, summoning a chaotic horror that devoured half the Pol Joni heavy cavalry.

20240226_172926.thumb.jpg.e803d139e8befcf2d8dad2541b190fb6.jpg

But the power of the Bull was summoned to the battle, and quickly put paid the threat.

20240226_174016.thumb.jpg.e1706dc4a5d0f6ec001950df1e0b3f90.jpg

While the cavalry battle swirled, things were kicking off in the center of the field.  This is where the Beryl Phalanx, Quartz Phalanx, Lasadag Lions, Thunder Delta Slingers, and deep pike blocks of Yelmalian mercenaries were pitted against a motley variety of Orlanthi tribes, the Telmori bodyguard, the Babeester Gor manslayers, and the Pavis survivors.  The professional Lunar line was a major strength here, and the power of the Yelmish pike, and the Beryl Phalanx (who has anti-storm tribe magic) proved nearly unstoppable.

20240226_181438.thumb.jpg.c42de216c06619cb1a0b4b2013b7912e.jpg

20240226_182847.thumb.jpg.725c47ff072dac0b940704a1f6201a3c.jpg

In an attempt to shore up the line, the Telmori transformed, becoming nearly impossible hit without magic, which was being used by the bucket load, and was becoming an increasingly rare resource. 

But the Lunars, as they so often do, had the exact counter.  Their general blew all the magic reserves in a single moment, and incarnated as Yanafal Tarnils, the Lunar God of War.  His mighty power was pitted against the Telmori, and although taking serious wounds, he overcame the Orlanthi attempt to salvage the center.

20240226_181834.thumb.jpg.8951219664e8bd1bb8a7a821297435df.jpg

Meanwhile, the Tarsh Line had met with the Red Cow clan's warriors, as well as the more elite Two Pine Humakti.  The going was slow due to the terrain, but here too, it looked like the superior equipment and training of the Tarshites might earn them a victory.  It was not to be.  Powered the magics of the Eleven Lights, the protected Orlanthi of the Red Cow shrugged off arrow after arrow as they closed on the enemy, at which point they pulled out their own magics, and incarnated Orlanth himself!

Here he devastates all in front of him with Thunderbolts, and then turns to assist the tribes as they surge against the sheildwall of Lunar Tarsh.  The Tarsh general was wounded by an Orlanthi hero at this time.

20240226_190802.thumb.jpg.feea78c63da0ca28c2d7bc6b3aed39bf.jpg

20240226_191511.thumb.jpg.c2e56a019b51543eadcc5522ee74639a.jpg

The Tarsh line fought valiantly, but their militia already was low morale due to not wishing to fight against their kin.  With Orlanth launching his mighty thunderbolts the Red Cow rallied, and the Humakti used their special magic of "Death", to eliminate another unit, causing the command to collapse.  Who can blame them? 

But looking up from their flank's victory, they saw only defeat on the greater field.  The Lunar cavalry had lost its general to the Pol Joni counter attack, true.  And the High Llama tribe had proven its overall dominance, despite lacking access to their Praxian summons.  But although battered, the Cavalry Corp had held long enough for the Lunar center to.....

....clear the field.  (The Wyvern Riders had been sent to capture the Orlanthi camp)

20240226_192831.thumb.jpg.2145b63c400f053d33f7757fc295d018.jpg

So although battered severely, the Lunars managed to break the Orlanthi rebels first, winning the field, and the day. 

I hope you guys enjoyed the AAR, I think my players did!

20240226_193436.thumb.jpg.e5d21fb63439a47613ba1211b0d93ae6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

I can post it here.

It was really just normal TTS!, but with two changes.  First, the unusual unit types and abilities had to be defined in TTS! terms.  For the most part this was easy.  Bison Riders always count as having lance, due to mass.   High Llama riders have Lance, and also extra ammunition.  Even the Black Horse troop was fairly easy to define within game rules -- Later Knights, Veteran, no Lance.

The second change was to add the magic system.  For the most part, Gloranthan magic works off of expendable resources, either mana (power), or favor of the Gods (Rune magic).  To simulate this, I added a new chit type -- the magic token.  The more magical units were given 1 magic chit, which they could spend on whatever their special power was, often just attacking slightly better, or negating hits in some way.  Some units were better than others by design.  For example the Orlanth skirmishers could spend a magic counter to make a missile attack that hits on a 6+.  But the Thunder Delta Slingers were skirmishers that could spend a magic counter to hit automatically.    They are just supposed to be better (but much fewer) in game lore.   The very powerful units had 2 magic chits, and these generally had the best magic power, in addition to multiple chits to use it with.  Again, by design.  Note, you can also spend the magic to restore a hit against your unit.

Some units were a bit better physically than magically, like the Yelmalian Pike units, others had very good but highly specialized magic, like the Bison Riders, and so on.

In this game:
Orlanthi Skirmishers -- 1 magic each, could expend to hit on a 6+, rather than an 8+
Telmori -- 1 magic, could spend it to transform.  When transformed non-magic weapons required a redraw to hit against them.
Beryl Phalanx -- 1 magic, could spent it to negate any damaging hit against them from a Storm tribe unit. 
Yelmalio Pike blocks -- 1 magic, Sunbright/Lightwall can spent it to negate any 1 hit against them
Black Horse Troop -- 2 magic, could go on a Doom Run where for the next four full turns, they automatically hit.  Then at the end they take one non-savable wound due to their riders souls being consumed by the steeds.
Lasadag Lions -- 2 magic, on attack only, 1 magic gives both: Frightening Roar, opponent cannot fight back & Lion Shield Bite, make an extra attack
Bison Rider Leader -- 2 magic, with 3 magic he can summon the Great Bison, which acts as a Knight unit, and automatically destroys any chaos, no roll to hit required.
and so on.

In addition the intrinsic powers of the various units, each army had a reservoir of power that they could use to do different things -- heal a unit, give a unit a magic counter from the reserves (to power its own ability), summon an entity of some type (usually elementals), or the big gun -- incarnate their primary deity on the field of battle.   The Lunars had a zero cost power -- use the power of Chaos, but while this cost them nothing, it gave the Orlanthi players 2 magic tokens to reserve, as their god was most directly opposed to Chaos.   There was never enough magic to do everything needful, and hard choices had to be made. 

I have attached the two OOBs, as which include a page on the magic available for each army commander.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2