Jump to content
borbetomagnus

Glorantha Miniatures

Recommended Posts

There's been a renewal of Gloranthan miniatures production and I'm certainly excited about the offerings from Rapier ( @Estarriol ), Mad Knight, and Infinity-Engine. I'm interested in miniatures that best represent Sartarites, Esrolians, Lunars, etc. I have a couple of the Lance & Laser Hero Wars miniatures (Prince Argrath, Dragonewts).

In your opinions, what miniatures can be used for characters from Sartar, Esrolia, Prax, Hendrikiland, Heortland, Tarsh, Lunar Tarsh, Lunar Empire, Pavis, and Sun County? (Lance & Laser Ancient - Dark Age miniatures)

How about Dragonewts? (D&D Dragonborn miniatures just don't do it)

Edited by borbetomagnus
corrected "Laser & Lance" to "Lance & Laser"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Armorcast.com has the Lance & Laser models. Until a few weeks ago they had fine baboons, dragonnewts, Walktipus, and so on. However, they’ve updated their web sites and some of the models - including all of the dragonnewts are gone. What’s even worse is that I had an account and a standing order (which included dragonnewts), and when they updated the website, my account and order vanished. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had set up the order, and was waiting for payday before sending money, so no lost money. I’ve been in touch with Armorcast. Their old service was sold, and their server converted without much advance warning. So accounts were lost, etc. However, they are restoring everything as fast as possible.

I asked about Glorantha miniatures, and they told me that they do not have the license to call anything “Glorantha” or “Runequest” so they may have the old “Prince Argrath” figure, but that can’t even hint that it’s “Prince Argrath”. But trust me, you can identify them!

I expect to re-do my order in a week or two. They have some great figures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pachristian said:

I expect to re-do my order in a week or two. They have some great figures.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm looking to place an order for their formerly-known-as-licensed-Glorantha miniatures. I have the Price Argrath and some Dragonewts figures, but would like to add some more miniatures to my collection once payday arrives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any thoughts to share about the miniatures from Infinity-Engine, specifically their line of licensed Runequest miniatures and gaming tools? I sent them an email through their Contact Form with a couple questions but have not heard from them. I'm patient, but was just wondering if anyone, especially in the U.S., has had a good experience with their order experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Infinity Engine may be quite busy right now as they started sending out orders for their Dragonewt miniatures kickstarter recently.

I'm not based in the US, but I backed 2 previous kickstarters they did for troll and chaos miniatures and it was perfectly fine. They delivered in good time on both and seem to be lovely people. They seem to be doing this in their spare time, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're a bit slow to respond right now.

 

Edited by Cultist of Sooty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cultist of Sooty said:

Infinity Engine may be quite busy right now as they started sending out orders for their Dragonewt miniatures kickstarter recently.

I'm not based in the US, but I backed 2 previous kickstarters they did for troll and chaos miniatures and it was perfectly fine. They delivered in good time on both and seem to be lovely people. They seem to be doing this in their spare time, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're a bit slow to respond right now.

 

I see. Thanks for the reply @Cultist of Sooty . I wasn't aware that they may be busy with fulfilling a plethora of orders. Thanks, also, for sharing your satisfaction with their products and service. I realize that they're probably doing this in their spare time since most gaming publishers, writers, and artists do it for the love of the hobby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd try again it's not like @Helliwell to not reply (he's one of my players). Or summon his minion @Stormwalker to do his bidding...

His figures look great, we have them in our game, but I'm biased.

5 hours ago, borbetomagnus said:

gaming tools

I love the Strike Rank Tracker, I wish I'd had one years ago. It's the single thing that makes combat easy for me.

https://www.infinity-engine.com/index.php?id_product=122&controller=product

Although I've never used the Rune Biscuits (I was so disappointed when handed one at a con), we've realised they'd be really handy. One day I hope to try them.

https://www.infinity-engine.com/index.php?id_product=124&controller=product

The ivory coloured ones look best and less like biscuits:

https://www.infinity-engine.com/index.php?id_product=128&controller=product&search_query=augment+&results=2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just go to Wargames Foundry and use stuff from their Ancients range. Specifically their "Myceneans, Minoans, and the Trojan War" range, the "European Bronze Age" range, and pick and choose from some of the others. Many of these ranges have packs of "heroes" that would make decent PC's, and fit with the current overview of Glorantha.

Me though, I want the Trollkin Forge stuff back! 

SDLeary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Victrix make a range of 28mm plastic figures kits (i.e., assembly required) for various ancients armies.  I don't own any myself at this time but I've seen them on display and each pack seems to offer quite a variety of options (different poses and weapons combinations) and of course for use in role-playing a bit of mixing and matching could create some quite interesting display figures IMO.

https://www.victrixlimited.com/collections/ancients

 

Edited by BWP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well there are plans afoot at Rapier Miniatures for even more, so after the Morokanth in 28mm, we have Tuskers and our first Bison now sculpted, ready to think about putting riders one. If that helps.... We also have foot Bison tribesfolk, who have been waiting for their mounted breathren before release....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, David Scott said:

I'd try again it's not like @Helliwell to not reply (he's one of my players). Or summon his minion @Stormwalker to do his bidding...

His figures look great, we have them in our game, but I'm biased.

I love the Strike Rank Tracker, I wish I'd had one years ago. It's the single thing that makes combat easy for me.

https://www.infinity-engine.com/index.php?id_product=122&controller=product

Although I've never used the Rune Biscuits (I was so disappointed when handed one at a con), we've realised they'd be really handy. One day I hope to try them.

https://www.infinity-engine.com/index.php?id_product=124&controller=product

The ivory coloured ones look best and less like biscuits:

https://www.infinity-engine.com/index.php?id_product=128&controller=product&search_query=augment+&results=2

Thanks @David Scott I'll contact @Helliwell or @Stormwalker this weekend if I've not heard back from the email that was sent via the contact form.

I planning to purchase the Strike Rank Tracker with a few extra player sets since I plan on having up to 10 players. The Rune Biscuits look great and I'm planning to purchase a set of the Ivory ones since they look better than the biscuit ones. Maybe the biscuit ones could be stained with a red dot in the middle to make them look like Gloranthan Jammie Dodgers! 😀

Thanks for the Lunars and Sartarite miniature suggestions from @SDLeary & @BWP

And, @Estarriol I'm looking forward to receiving the current figures and will be ordering the new ones you develop.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there @borbetomagnus - I've no idea why your email wasn't actioned, but I've sent Richard a text to let him know to contact you.  I suspect something isn't quite right with the contact form as he's usually quite good at responding (and he's still alive as of yesterday, so no excuses there... )

(and thank you @David Scott for the nudge .. Minion? Pah, I'm The Power Behind The Throne mate... )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I’ve just been summoned from my sleep, sorry I did not see your email on the website, I’d been rushing around sorting orders out before I headed up to visit family this weekend, something I’ve put off for several months while I’ve been busy. I’ll get a proper email over to you on Monday, when I check the website messages, sorry about that.

Thanks

Richard

Infinity-Engine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my projects for the summer, now that I'm playing in Glorantha again, is to put together some miniatures. I was thinking mixing and matching parts from a few difference Victrix miniatures and/or Gripping Beast miniatures sprues to make "new style" Heortlings. So mix bits from ancient Greeks, romans and celts/vikings to make suitably barbaric warriors.

I did feel like the Byzantine spearmen from Fireforge miniatures might be a good source of bodies wearing scale armour. Mix and match those with various ancients parts and you should be able to make good Orlanthi weaponthanes.

Are any of those "perfect" for Glorantha? No, but with a bit of work to find the best bits and the right paint job I think they'd look pretty good.

There's generally nothing much in historical ranges for female characters, unfortunately. Bad Squiddo Miniatures have a good range of shieldmaidens - yes, Vikings are out of period, for Orlanthi now, but some of them would still work. And they have a couple of Amazon types, too. Hasslefree miniatures have a few in their fantasy ranges that would fit right into Glorantha. A warning on that is that some of their range is NSFW because of being in the nuddy.

They're totally ahistorical and out of period, but with a mix and match of the right parts, some of the female fantasy warriors for Frostgrave from Northstar miniatures might work as Heortlings in winter gear. Their cultists and a few monsters and other bits could work quite well for Glorantha stuff, too.

And Bronze Age miniatures have some nice, erm, Bronze Age types.

One thing that is always VERY good to see from the people who have licences to make miniatures is when they make things that you can't source elsewhere. I would give my right arm for some good models of high llamas, for example.

I've been away from work this week, and my delivery address for the dragonewts kickstarter was my work address. I'm hoping mine might be there waiting for me on Monday to soften the blow of having to be back at work. 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cultist of Sooty said:

It's lovely, but it's just a normal llama, not an aepycamelus.

True dat.

Nevertheless, it's a llama... AND a bit oversized (a bit large even for the 32mm-scale Bbn shown with, so almost right for 25mm or 28mm scale for the rest of your Gloranthan figs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 7:52 PM, Stormwalker said:

Hi there @borbetomagnus - I've no idea why your email wasn't actioned, but I've sent Richard a text to let him know to contact you.  I suspect something isn't quite right with the contact form as he's usually quite good at responding (and he's still alive as of yesterday, so no excuses there... )

(and thank you @David Scott for the nudge .. Minion? Pah, I'm The Power Behind The Throne mate... )

 

On 4/26/2019 at 8:21 PM, Helliwell said:

Hello, I’ve just been summoned from my sleep, sorry I did not see your email on the website, I’d been rushing around sorting orders out before I headed up to visit family this weekend, something I’ve put off for several months while I’ve been busy. I’ll get a proper email over to you on Monday, when I check the website messages, sorry about that.

Thanks

Richard

Infinity-Engine

Thank you, both for replying to this thread. I suspected that the website contact form may not be operating as Issaries intended, and I'm thankful for @David Scott for mentioning nudging you on this discussion forum.

I look forward to hearing from you @Helliwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 6:38 AM, Cultist of Sooty said:

One of my projects for the summer, now that I'm playing in Glorantha again, is to put together some miniatures. I was thinking mixing and matching parts from a few difference Victrix miniatures and/or Gripping Beast miniatures sprues to make "new style" Heortlings. So mix bits from ancient Greeks, romans and celts/vikings to make suitably barbaric warriors.

I did feel like the Byzantine spearmen from Fireforge miniatures might be a good source of bodies wearing scale armour. Mix and match those with various ancients parts and you should be able to make good Orlanthi weaponthanes.

Are any of those "perfect" for Glorantha? No, but with a bit of work to find the best bits and the right paint job I think they'd look pretty good.

There's generally nothing much in historical ranges for female characters, unfortunately. Bad Squiddo Miniatures have a good range of shieldmaidens - yes, Vikings are out of period, for Orlanthi now, but some of them would still work. And they have a couple of Amazon types, too. Hasslefree miniatures have a few in their fantasy ranges that would fit right into Glorantha. A warning on that is that some of their range is NSFW because of being in the nuddy.

They're totally ahistorical and out of period, but with a mix and match of the right parts, some of the female fantasy warriors for Frostgrave from Northstar miniatures might work as Heortlings in winter gear. Their cultists and a few monsters and other bits could work quite well for Glorantha stuff, too.

And Bronze Age miniatures have some nice, erm, Bronze Age types.

One thing that is always VERY good to see from the people who have licences to make miniatures is when they make things that you can't source elsewhere. I would give my right arm for some good models of high llamas, for example.

I've been away from work this week, and my delivery address for the dragonewts kickstarter was my work address. I'm hoping mine might be there waiting for me on Monday to soften the blow of having to be back at work. 😀

I have a similar project @Cultist of Sooty to build up a set of Glorantha miniatures for my upcoming RQG campaign. The links provided are very helpful. It's unfortunate that there are very few female character miniatures, and especially any that could resemble Gloranthan cultures such Sartarites, Praxians, and especially Esrolians. I'd love to find some miniatures to represent the urban locales of Esrolia or Lunar Tarsh.

Perhaps the current Runequest miniature licensee holders would be interested in producing more female Gloranthan characters, with a priority on the Esrolians and Lunar Tarshites.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may like to look at Casting Room Miniatures 28mm Trojan civilians and Persian civilians. I’ve got some myself. Pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDM said:

You may like to look at Casting Room Miniatures 28mm Trojan civilians and Persian civilians. I’ve got some myself. Pretty good.

I was wondering what happened to these minis! These were/are Wargames Foundries minis, read there About section for explanation.

SDLeary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...