Dream dragons

jps

I was reading about "The Dragon of Thunder Hills" from the RuneQuest screen pack. And I wonder: Yerezum has several attacks at her disposal: breath (SR 3), Claws, Bite and Tail (SR 7) and enthrall (SR 12). There is no mention of her being able to attack several times per round but won't she would be able to poison breath  on SR3 then attack (claw or bite) on SR 7 and attack again a foe coming from behind with her tail and, last but not least, enthrall a victim on SR 12 ?

I know it's very powerful but she is a Dream Dragon. How did you guys play that out? Did you give her only one attack?

Good question. Looking at the Bestiary it’s ambiguous. On p8 under weapons it’s says

“Many creatures can attack more than once in a round: if so, unless specified otherwise, the creature uses both attacks at once, instead of working under the guide lines for two-weapon combat...”

That could be interpreted as a maximum of two attacks per round unless specified other wise. Though i feel it’s more likely referring to if the creature has two attacks listed on the same SR they may attack at the same time instead. If the latter is the case then it would seem the Dragon can potentially use all its attacks in a round. 

2 minutes ago, Crel said:

I mean, it's the third adventure in the only published adventures book, soooooo...

Yeah that’s fine, and avoiding Dragons is always sensible...but for the sake of the OP be nice to know the designers intention on multiple creature attacks in the bestiary - Do they have the potential of using all their attacks in a round? 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 7Tigers said:

Hum, is it really reasonable to want to attack a Dream Dragon, most of all with beginning characters?

Totally not reasonable ^^ But in the scenario, if they fail to defeat her, her demands are going to be more and more difficult to meet and engaging her in combat seems to be the default decision for the PCs. 

In any case, I think I would allow her several attacks as long as it makes sense (using tail attack if engaged from behind and still being able to make a claw or a bite attack)

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 5:44 PM, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Yeah that’s fine, and avoiding Dragons is always sensible...but for the sake of the OP be nice to know the designers intention on multiple creature attacks in the bestiary - Do they have the potential of using all their attacks in a round? 

Yeah, it'd be nice.

Edited by Brootse

On 5/22/2019 at 12:32 AM, 7Tigers said:

Hum, is it really reasonable to want to attack a Dream Dragon, most of all with beginning characters?

Yes and no. Ifn you don't rush in, use your Rune Points, and good tactics, it's quite doable.

Our group..? We did it stupidly and only lost 3 of 4 PC's in round 2 of the fight. Thankfully powerful allies were very thankful and came to our aid after we slew the dragon. 

On 5/21/2019 at 7:25 AM, jps said:

I was reading about "The Dragon of Thunder Hills" from the RuneQuest screen pack. And I wonder: Yerezum has several attacks at her disposal: breath (SR 3), Claws, Bite and Tail (SR 7) and enthrall (SR 12). There is no mention of her being able to attack several times per round but won't she would be able to poison breath  on SR3 then attack (claw or bite) on SR 7 and attack again a foe coming from behind with her tail and, last but not least, enthrall a victim on SR 12 ?

I know it's very powerful but she is a Dream Dragon. How did you guys play that out? Did you give her only one attack?

That is indeed a very good question. Perhaps the question should also be asked in the Core Rules Clarification thread?

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 3:32 PM, 7Tigers said:

Yes.

You might win, you might lose, you might end up as dragon-lunch or run away screaming, but why not try?

Encountering a Dream Dragon isn't always about combat, but sometimes it is. If you think it's too big and powerful to fight directly, you think of inventive ways to kill it. Hiding in a put and gutting it, wearing spike armour that impales it as it constricts you, feeding it poisoned sheep, jumping on its back and stabbing it in the head, wearing special armour and letting it swallow you then tearing your way out from its gut, there are many ways to kill a dragon.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

We once had a PC roll a simultaneous Impale to the Head while the Dragon Impaled with a Bite to the Right Arm. We firgured it was en epic scene of Man skewering Dragon as it lunged at him. The PC lost an Arm, Dragon died. 

This particular scenario was not nearly as hard as we would have thought. The dragon isn't incredibly strong, and even new PCs in RQ:G can put up a lot of damage and come up with really interesting tricks, depending on Cults and such.

Edited by HreshtIronBorne
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

This particular scenario was not nearly as hard as we would have thought. The dragon isn't incredibly strong, and even new PCs in RQ:G can put up a lot of damage and come up with really interesting tricks, depending on Cults and such.

Sure, it was designed to be fought by beginning PCs nonetheless, knowing how this combat should be run regarding the Dragon's number of attacks is still relevant. Furthermore, if the Dream Dragon happens to have all the listed attacks then it's not a weak foe for new PCs.

• Like 1