Cult Skill Discrepancies

Austin

6 minutes ago, Kloster said:

The mercenary contracts (of Borderlands, for ex.) are another matter. I think RQ2 authors didn't think especially about the matter.

you just need a scholar friend reading the contract, then put a death rune to commit yourself.

after all, Humakt protects all type of commitment, doesn't it ?

43 minutes ago, GAZZA said:

What surprised me was how few cults grant any sort of Read/Write. In RQ3 that was a standard Initiate occupation skill and, often, a requirement for Priest status.

RQ3 was set in Fantasy Europe, which was a more civilized setting than Dragon Pass.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GAZZA said:

What surprised me was how few cults grant any sort of Read/Write. In RQ3 that was a standard Initiate occupation skill and, often, a requirement for Priest status.

This makes sense though. In the kind of setting Glorantha (especially the Barbarian parts) is, reading and writing are like piloting a jet aircraft - highly technical, really demanding, only taught by experts, and not something you do unless it’s your job. We’re not even talking antiquity or the Middle Ages here, and I doubt 1% of Sartar is literate (if it is, it will be mostly be because of the Lhankor Mhy cult).

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

image.gif.656b7770aab2b2752ce75fd00d2c3ee3.gif"I think officially it's just the ones in the character creation cult section, but I'd allow any cult skill."

That was my initial reading as well, but I went through Vasana's skills before and after adding cult skills.  She only has the additional percentages listed, without any +20/+15 added. She does, however, have an unexplained +10 increase in Broadsword (from 50 to 60).  I suspect that's either an oversight in the example or the +20/+15 language in the rule was changed to specific skills and the reference was inadvertently left in the rule, thus providing double bonuses.  In any event, I do think the language of the rule limits it to the three cult starting skills that get fixed bonuses, even if Vasana's example doe snot show them.

(sorry for the hamfisted edit. Failed to realize how the quote function worked.)

Edited by Jimmie
left out quote

1 hour ago, Bryon1187 said:

" She does, however, have an unexplained +10 increase in Broadsword (from 50 to 60)"

This is from Vinga (Orthanth Adventurous) Special Note (p77)

Awesome!  Thanks.  I love it when stuff makes sense.

3 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

you just need a scholar friend reading the contract, then put a death rune to commit yourself.

I was under the impression that most arrangements in Glorantha (or at least Dragon Pass and Prax) would be verbal, with both parties' honour at stake, and the spirits and the Gods as witnesses. Only intellectual cults and organizations like Lhankor Mhy would have anything written.... which is why few cults provide Read/Write. I'm mostly just surprised Issaries doesn't have it, if only to be able to keep track of inventory and stuff... but maybe Issaries traders don't trade enough volume that they can't just keep it in their head, or track it with some ad-hoc system.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

1 hour ago, lordabdul said:

I was under the impression that most arrangements in Glorantha (or at least Dragon Pass and Prax) would be verbal, with both parties' honour at stake, and the spirits and the Gods as witnesses. Only intellectual cults and organizations like Lhankor Mhy would have anything written.... which is why few cults provide Read/Write. I'm mostly just surprised Issaries doesn't have it, if only to be able to keep track of inventory and stuff... but maybe Issaries traders don't trade enough volume that they can't just keep it in their head, or track it with some ad-hoc system.

I have the idea that Tradetalk includes an accounting system (like Incan knot ”writing”) without having a full written language (because what would be the point?).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

I have the idea that Tradetalk includes an accounting system (like Incan knot ”writing”) without having a full written language (because what would be the point?).

That's actually a great idea! It would make a lot of sense.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

I did a deep dive into the pregens, tallying up exactly as close as I could get to the rules. Let me see if I can find my Vasana...

Yep, I came to the same conclusion that she didn't have the cult skill bonuses.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I think officially it's just the ones in the character creation cult section, but I'd allow any cult skill.

I think it, officially, ought to be any of the listed cult skills as well, based on the idea that the characters has been an initiate for a while (3RPs and 5 cult spirit magic!), *and* that one benefit of being an initiate is access to free/cheap training in cult skills. Restricting those skills seems to go against the above gains in magic.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:46 AM, Jimmie said:

(sorry for the hamfisted edit. Failed to realize how the quote function worked.)

It is a wee bit unintuitive, select the text you wish to quote with your cursor. Hover the curser near the selected text and a thick bordered rectangle should appears with the words “Quote selection” inside. Click  this and you should have the quoted text appear at the bottom of the screen being timestamped IDed and inserted and with an area below ready for your reply. 

Good luck and cheers

On 5/15/2020 at 10:33 AM, lordabdul said:

I'm mostly just surprised Issaries doesn't have it, if only to be able to keep track of inventory and stuff... but maybe Issaries traders don't trade enough volume that they can't just keep it in their head, or track it with some ad-hoc system.

Tradetalk, developed by Issaries,  has a written component which while very poor for poetry is quite good for what you are describing. Seeing as it was made by Issaries it is odd that it is not a cult skill. In any case I am sure the cult teaches this, cult skill (free) or not.

Ah, maybe I have hit on the reason by accident, a god of trade invents something. Obviously one has to pay for it. Makes sense.

On 5/15/2020 at 11:40 AM, Akhôrahil said:

I was not sure of the mechanics but yes this is what I am saying.

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 12.45.00 PM.png

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!