Temple of the Wooden Sword

HreshtIronBorne

1 hour ago, Bren said:

That was my impression as well. The fact that spelling of the "name" has varied between Nameless and Naimless seems to support your interpretation.

There's a very very slight chance that Naimless was a take on "Naim", a male Arabic name which I Googled a minute go and which means peaceful, tranquil.  With a ...less suffix to mean "not".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

With a ...less suffix to mean "not".

Also (per this) “without happiness,” “without comfort,” and “unpleasant” — even “not benevolent”? Any of those fit the character?

(The feminine “Naima” definitely sometimes has the Name-Uh (rather than Na-Eem-Uh) pronunciation. I suspect that is true of the masculine, too, but I cannot vouch for that.)

Always makes me think “without expensive hi-fi”.

• Haha 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

13 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

There's a very very slight chance that Naimless was a take on "Naim", a male Arabic name which I Googled a minute go and which means peaceful, tranquil.  With a ...less suffix to mean "not".

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

13 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

So who actually knows, would have been at the table?

There is a list of who played who (I think on this site), as we have their character sheets.

• Helpful 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

14 hours ago, David Scott said:

There is a list of who played who (I think on this site), as we have their character sheets.

Is there a link?

I like Naimless.

I'd love to see the old sheets, I have some from the 80's as well, we thought we were slick using 3 hole punched plastic sleeves, stored them in a binder (still have it) and grease markers so we could mark experience checks and make changes without rewriting the sheets all the time. Brings a smile to my face...

Edited by Erol of Backford

• 5 weeks later...

I am still catching up for missing 10 years of Gloranth and this wonderful Web Site...

More on Naimless. From Trollpak p.52-55 - She was seemingly with the first party of Humakti to raid Sazdorf. She accepted the challenge of Taksag to a duel, he gave her a "filty skin of blood beer and a few coppers" when she bested him to first blood in their Humakit duel. This was 1611.

Taksag left Sazdorf with Naimless, initiated and was given his first sword by Naimless.

Cool to read that Londra impaled the Sazdorf ZZ altar with the Wooden Sword  at the end of the battle, 10 trolls immediately vowed to Humakt... Kaltorb is named as one. They "dropped their trollball weapons and took up swords".

I think this is an early Rune Quest Glorantha instance that stands out.

Who is going to write up the history of the Wooden Sword including all the background on Naimless, Londra and the ugly not so clever half troll (I think it was?). 

Who played Naimless and Londra?

Edited by Erol of Backford

• 2 weeks later...

So if Londra is being threatened with legal action regarding her keeping Urrrggh the Ugly's share of the temple's treasure when disbanded it must be a sizable amount.

Who wants to take a guess? Would it be close to 50k Lunars, more?

Also, Urrrggh's horse seems to have been quite an animal, maybe smarter than he was? Should we assume a massive warhorse at the upper end of the larger breads?

What was Urrrggh's Charisma stat? 4-5? Lower?

• 2 weeks later...

Found it by chance under Londra's stats... Urrrggh's treasure was 8,000 wheels... Wyrms Footnotes 11 p.15

Did anyone read where a troll was given the wooden sword after the temple dissolution? I know I read it somewhere, maybe it was given to Taksag by the old man? I thought I bookmarked it but cannot find it or what year.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have more information on Bagtrap?

I am seeing where he was adventurer in Tarkala's Band in Pavis but also was a member of the Temple of the Wooden Sword. Is it the same character?

When traveling to Balazar he jumped into the Bronze Dragon's mouth, had seemingly gone insane after the defeat of the Temple at the Isle of the Dead in the Marsh?

He was a Sartar tribesman and may have been from Londros household but that was noted as doubtful...

In Earth Season in 1617 while traveling with Jon Mith's caravan he jumped into a Bronze dragon's mouth and so now the path is called Bagtrap’s Trail. (Wyrms High Pass - another thread)

From the Stafford House Campaign it notes: Bagtrap – Bronze Dragon’s Mouth

10 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Bagtrap

That's pretty much it, all other published info is derived from issues of Dragons Past now published in the Stafford House Campaign.

-----

10 hours ago, David Scott said:

That's pretty much it, all other published info is derived from issues of Dragons Past now published in the Stafford House Campaign.

Would be really well received if the old scribbled character sheets were available, old maps, the house campaign is great but would love to see a panel of old players get interviewed about the early games. Would be really fun to listen to audience questions...

Likely whoever ran Bagtrap was either just bored with the character, was a superfluous one or thought divine intervention would save them?

The old RQ glory days... 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

Does anyone have an Idea of who the Wooden Sword is destined to kill in the Hero Wars?

There's no further information on the destiny of the Wooden Sword in the Hero Wars, so I think it's up to your campaign if it has any predestined target. 

Natural targets might be: the new Mistress Race troll in the Castle of Lead, the Dwarf of Dwarf Run, the Red Emperor (vengeance for the Moonburn), Cragspider (to free the elves from Fate), Argrath (for slaying the gods).

In my campaign Eltang Swiftfoot, the latest aldryami carrier of the Wooden Sword, had the idea to plant the sword in the ashes of Rist (including an adlryami ritual), where it would become the seed of the new Shanasse tree of the forest that will grow at this place. 
With the connection of this sword to DEATH, you can imagine what kind of aldryami that forest will host. 🙂

In my campaign Eltang Swiftfoot is wounded/weak and has taken refuge among the elves of the Bid Rubble. There my group of PCs met him, and were given the Wooden Sword, with the task to bring it to the shes of Rist and bury it there with the proper ritual (they have to convince an aldryami shaman from the Elder Wilds to do that for them, as the last step of this quest). But first they have to do a long sidequest: 
The Wooden Sword is still attached to the rune level member of the former Temple of the Wooden Sword. The sword needs the blessing (Them letting go of the attachement) of every rune level member of the former Temple of the Wooden Sword, before the sword agrees to be used as seed for a new Shanassee tree. 
My PCs are now tracking down the members of the former Temple of the Wooden Sword one by one, to get their blessings, before they can go to the Elder Wilds, get the sham,an to accompany them and travvel to Rist to plant this "sword-seed". 
My PCs (as well as Eltang Swiftfoot) do not know who of the members of the Temple of the Wooden Sword was rune level... the heck... r´they don´t know if people that were in the friends group of the Temnple were Humakti et all. 
So they have to track don´t one of them, and get more informations about the other members from him... etc. 

The list they have (and what i "know"): 
- Londra of Londros (Humakti Runelord, currently in Old Wind)
- Naimless (Humakti Runelord, currently in Clearwine)
- Alebard (Humakti Runelord, in Alebards Tower? Maybe already dead?)
- Eril Silksword (Humakti Runelord, in Alebards Tower?, Maybe already dead?)
Genevieve Leclercq (not a Humakti Runelord, not even a Humakti, an Orlanth Adventuous/Vingan)
Tamara Tree-chop (former bearer of the wooden sword, retired Humakti, now running the Geos Runegate Inn)
Jonathon Trollsbane (Humakti Runelord, somewhere in Heortland?)
Jondar Blackmane (Humakti Runelord, somewhere in Heartland?)
Bagtrap (Humakti Runelord, jumped into the mouth of the Bronze Dragons during a caravan over the mountains to Balazar, must have spit out by the dragon, because is now active in Pavis)
- Contand Aloidan 
(Humakti Runelord, last seen in the Uplamnd Marsh)
Aceling (Humakti Runelord, wereabouts unknown)
Ashborn Twiceborn (not a Humakti Runelord, not even a Humakti, an Orlanth runelord, in Clearwine)

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

58 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

you can imagine what kind of aldryami that forest will host

This is interesting stuff.

1 hour ago, AndreJarosch said:

The list they have (and what i "know"): 

I had been adding items to this thread as I found them. I'll have to go back but it seemed that 

I saw that Bagtrap was in Tarkala's Band in Pavis but as you I thought they were eaten...

My Backford Campaign will have the PC's interacting with the members of the Temple of the Wooden Sword from when they meet them from 1600 onward. They'll know Londra and Naimless from when they are younger, Londra will likely be a little brat when they first meet her but as 5 of the 8 main PC's are set to be female characters it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

1 hour ago, AndreJarosch said:

Tamara Tree-chop (former bearer of the wooden sword, retired Humakti, now running the Geos Runegate Inn)

I found this out and posted about 2 months ago and will use it that maybe she was at the Inn before it was destroyed and fled Runegate when the Bat came but returned years later to rebuild or something like that.

I'd leave Ashborn out of it as he is already involved with Clearwine and Apple Lane stuff.

Curious, I read that Clearwine burned in like 1606 but hadn't seen that before, does anyone have a source, can't recall where I saw it today or yesterday, forgot to take note of it...

I also might have misunderstood but had noted that the Wooden Sword was given to Taksag the troll after the Temple had dissolved by the old man? It may have been months or a few years later?

Taksag was noted as the Outlaw, faithful troll initiate. He was the troll Naimless initialled dualled with in 1611 at the Haunted Ruins who joined Naimless thereafter. Still not sure if Taksag was one of Naimless' 2 troll lovers or not...

I need to do a lot of weaving to make permit the PC's to be part of the Temple of the Wooden Sword's adventures...

The use of the sword to grow a new tree is very intriguing Mr. Jarosch!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

Jonathon Trollsbane Jondar Blackmane

https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/BellDigest/vol03p02.txt

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/gloranthan-documents/personalities-of-glorantha/personalities-of-glorantha-ruric-runespear/

There do not seem to be many references to these Rune Lords so you cloud likely have them still associated with Alebard's Tower unless they were dead...

What would your PC's do if the Rune Lord in question is deceased?

image.png.c3e921cbe6bc67c5ce3a4129d2b3ae5b.png

On 10/4/2023 at 2:02 PM, Erol of Backford said:

Likely whoever ran Bagtrap was either just bored with the character, was a superfluous one or thought divine intervention would save them?

I was lucky to get invited to play at that one session, my only game ever with Greg as GM, running Parry Mason, a Light Son on his way to Balazar.  (And there to playtest Griffin Mountain).  I knew many of the other players, but not their PCs.  It was a long time ago so my memory is dim...

Bagtrap had a campaign reason for his actions, though I was unaware of what it was.  I don't think it was boredom.  He did not attempt D.I.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/BellDigest/vol03p02.txt

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/gloranthan-documents/personalities-of-glorantha/personalities-of-glorantha-ruric-runespear/

There do not seem to be many references to these Rune Lords so you cloud likely have them still associated with Alebard's Tower unless they were dead...

What would your PC's do if the Rune Lord in question is deceased?

The last thing i read about them (both characters played by Bill Keyes) were that they were part of the "Assault on the Isle of the Dead" (Seas Season 1615), shortly before "The Great Raid on the Temple of the Wooden Swor" where Niselda, the invisible child, was born. 
They were not mentioned in that one or in "The Dissolution of the Temple of the Wooden Sword" at the end of 1615. 
But maybe they were on a mission/quest and returned to Alebards Tower later. 

If my PCs learn that the Rune Lord is deceased, than the obigation between with that Rune Lord with the Wooden Sword has ended with their death, so no further action is needed. 
It would be a problem, if they learn that the Rune Lord is deceased, and later on they find out that the information was wrong, and he hasn´t!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

If my PCs learn that the Rune Lord is deceased, than the obligation between with that Rune Lord with the Wooden Sword has ended with their death, so no further action is needed. 

So yes how do they confirm. Divination resolves this for sure no? I mean if Humakt doesn't know if his children are dead or not, especially a rune lord there is an issue there... just sayin.

Also looking at the other Thread Mr. Brooke noted:

More to the point, it should always have remained an Aldryami possession. The Colymar tribe supported a human- and troll-staffed Temple of the Wooden Sword, and Tarndisi resents that.

Someone had mentioned that the Elves would consider selective death as "pruning" I hope I'm not getting this wrong, nore do I recall where I saw this but maybe there isn't resentment by Tarndisi as the burning of pine needles and dead leaves may clear a path for new life, no I am not an ecologist or anything but just throwing it out there...