HreshtIronBorne

Temple of the Wooden Sword

Does anyone have more information on the Temple of the Wooden Sword? My Google-Fu is apparently lacking severely when it comes to finding anything other than, it is a thing.

I know there was some writeup in a fanzine but, I wouldn't know where to even start looking for an old magazine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The most complete collection of Wooden Sword activities I am aware of was in Wyrm's Footprints.

All of the action happened a decade before the arrival of the Internet, which means all of this material is dead trees stuff rather than digital.

21 minutes ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

Does anyone have more information on the Temple of the Wooden Sword? My Google-Fu is apparently lacking severely when it comes to finding anything other than, it is a thing.

Do not know a ton about it, read an article on them back in the 90s in a zine with MOB and Rick Meintz writing and running it called Tales of the Reaching Moon, I wonder if it was the only 2 (3?) continent zine in existence (Oz and N.A. I think).

So Londra of Londros, Alebard, Asborn Thriceborn, Naimless, Bagtrap, Errol Silksword were some of the members. They accompanied Leika Orlkensorsdotter into Snake Pipe Hollow. The Temple was a Humakti wooden sword making it a mobile temple.(an idea Greag Stafford said he regretted). They were affiliated with my fave trollball team. the Sazdorf Whackers and Tacklers. 

That is all I have in my notes. I know a few of the names mentioned as you might, the only tale I can think of outside of this is a Humakti by the name of Naimless fought a gent in Tourney Alter called Allain in CoP. and an intriguing note that says..."appears and disappears though time, space and legend [Wyrm’s Footprint p. 12]" I believe there was troll warrior and a gorilla warrior with one or both havng colourful names.

Yeah, that's all my notes...

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian

The Wooden Sword

Oofmartha, an Aldryami god of combat, said to be an avatar of Humakt, manifests as a portable shrine in the form of a wooden sword, known as the Death That Will Not Die.

The Wooden Sword reappeared early in the Hero Wars, and its cult was led by a member of the Colymar Tribe for several years. The sword was later reclaimed by the elves in 1615 and now resides in the depths of Arstola Forest.

• Thanks 1

Sources about the Temple of the Wooden Sword I know of:

• Wyrms Footprints - a whole 7 page article telling the story of the Temple of the Wooden Sword from its beginning until the end in 1615.
  • Sartar Companion - several bits of information in the context of Clearwine Fort description, the Old Wind Temple description and the "Gifts of Stone" adventure, which is located in the Sazdorf troll clan area.

8 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

I know there was some writeup in a fanzine

The Temple of the Wooden Sword was part of Greg's own campaign.The 11 Lights says:

Since the early days of the Gloranthan gaming magazine Wyrms Footnotes, in whose pages we learned of Greg Stafford’s Colymar campaign, and his PCs adventures with the Temple of the Wooden Sword, fighting in Starbrow’s Rebellion, and performing a Crown Test to try and win rule of that tribe, the campaign based around a Sartarite clan struggling for liberation has been one of the classic settings for Gloranthan gaming.

The campaign set around 1613 was originally documented in a series of fanzines called Dragon's Past (10 issues) and Son of Sartar (4 issues) between 1979 and 1980. They were included in the APA zine The Wild Hunt. Parts of the campaign were further documented in a feature in Wyrms Foonotes called Dragons Past:

issue 9: The Great Raid on the Temple of the Wooden Sword

issue 11: The Founding of the Wooden Sword:

The Sazdorf Troll Tribe is intimately tied up with the famous Temple of the Wooden Sword, a legendary Humakti 'wandering regiment' which has appeared and dissappeared through time, space and legend. It is sometimes known as "The Death that Will Not Die."

& The Temple of the Wooden Sword & Londra of Londros, a member of the group.

issue12 continued the story withe Skirmish at Wind Temple.

issue 14 finished with the Crown Test of Leika Balista

Leika, granddaughter grand daughter of Londros and heir to the Colymar had earned the surname of Ballista when she Tribe of Sartar, had earned the surname of Ballista when she the Wooden Sword Humakti into the caves of Snakepipe Hollow

Wyrm's footprints collected all of these together

issue 15 has Assault on the Isle of the Dead, where the Wooden Sword suffers its first defeat.

https://www.chaosium.com/wyrms-footnotes-pdf/

8 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

back in the 90s in a zine with MOB and Rick Meintz writing and running it called Tales of the Reaching Moon, I wonder if it was the only 2 (3?) continent zine in existence (Oz and N.A. I think).

Tales of the Reaching Moon was a fanzine run by David in the UK. Later contributors and members included MOB, with Rick doing the layout for later editions. It was distributed widely, as far as Japan, Australia, North America and of course Europe,

Tales republished many parts of Dragons Past and the Wooden Sword, issue 5 being the main one.

Edited by David Scott
  • Thanks 1

The Temple got a "full" write-up in the HQ1 Masters Of Luck and Death book, but I don't know how canonical that is these days (I suspect it's not - The "heroband" concept was all the rage back then and it seemed a good fit I guess)

Edited by Stormwalker
  • Thanks 1

Besides Snakepipe Hollow, the Wooden Sword was carried into the depths of the Sazdorf caves. There was a humiliating defeat at the hands of Zorak Zoran at first for which Humakt "chastised" the temple members. They returned to greater success and established a Humakt temple for awhile in the heart of the troll stronghold. 

As was noted above, the temple disbanded, and the Wooden Sword was returned to Arstola, presumably to await some other events within the Hero Wars.

15 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

Neat topic, HreshtIronBorne!