Give me your ideas for Gloranthan Inktober!

JanPospisil

I want to keep drawing every day before bed time, and I thought I could do some Glorantha drawings.

Alas, after drawing one Orlanthi and a group of traveling trolls, my inspiration ran a bit dry. 

If you want, you can post ideas for one or two figures, or creatures. Ideally with explanations of the culture, even descriptions of gear they have.

These will be fairly simple ink drawings, I need to finish these under an hour, ideally under 30 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

A Carmanian Magus/Vizier? They're pretty cool. :D Persian-inspired scholar-magicians with a syncretistic dualistic theism. I'd imagines robes, oiled and curled beards like Dara Happans, but with some of the more Hellenic influences from Fronela, maybe. Possibly long staff or maybe baton/wand. Themes of balance and law are important. Maybe scrolls or writing pads. Maybe, if possible, hint at some underlying militarism, because old school Carmanians are heavily militarized with a subservient underclass of commoners.

EDIT: Just came to think about this, and it's Orlanthi, but I decided to just add because - hey, why not.
Enferalda, or someone who is acting like Enferalda. Enferalda is Ernalda's Warrior aspect. She is Orlanth's supporter and one of the War Women.

So a female warrior Orlanthi, but neither Vinga nor Babeester Gor. I think it would just be cool to see how it would be interpreted. I kind of see her as a woman in her thirties, not a professional warrior, but someone decked out for defensive combat to support the champions and to keep the baddies from getting into the backline. Also surprisingly strong because, you know, Earth. Maybe big shield and some kind of mallet or mace or something, just throwing ideas out there.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JanPospisil said:

Oh yeah, whoops! I forgot that was you. Ok, how about a Kimantoring warrior from Esrolia? I think they worship different gods now, but originally it was the Only Old One. They also wield spears and shields, and would be heavily armored. I would imagine  they have a strong Darkness motif, potentially with black armor and shields. Since the Kitori wore lead masks, maybe these warriors do as well. To look scary and whatnot. 

• Like 1

So, good suggestions so far.

I wouldn't mind more info, if you were willing to type it out, or reference to related material. (like "this is that culture, similar to these cultures", present in this official/unofficial art etc.)

Normally I'd spend a bunch of time going through piles of reference to find something cool, but with these quick drawings I'd rather avoid that.

25 minutes ago, JanPospisil said:

I wouldn't mind more info, if you were willing to type it out, or reference to related material. (like "this is that culture, similar to these cultures", present in this official/unofficial art etc.)

My main source is Esrolia: Land of 10000 Goddesses, page 8 has a good description. The Kimantorings are the regular army of Esrolia. The Esrolians are technically an Orlanthi culture, so the style of their weapons and armor is probably similar, maybe more ornate. 

They used to be the Only Old One’s household guards, and were originally trolls. Nowadays they are mostly humans, and worship many different war gods. But some do worship Argan Argar and Zorak Zoran even though they’re human, so when I made my request I was imagining one of those weirdos. 

I'd like to suggest a Quinpolic League pirate warrior:

A member of the Seshnegi soldier caste who's turned to raiding mercenary ships, examining a piece of jewellery they've looted and are holding in their hand.

As a member of the soldier caste, they'd belong to a beast society, I'd suggest crocodile, with leather armour resembling this.

At their side they'd have a long, straight sword like a Chinese Jian and a wicker pelta shield on their back.

They could be either a man or woman, and if male they have a moustache but not a beard (if a particular style would be helpful, I'd imagine a horseshoe moustache.) In either case they're likely highly scarred and muscled.

I hope this is an okay collection of references!

4 hours ago, JanPospisil said:

So, good suggestions so far.

Normally I'd spend a bunch of time going through piles of reference to find something cool, but with these quick drawings I'd rather avoid that.

I'm going to try and help you along, though I'm a bit timid about stepping on Chaosium's feet or whatever, since the art direction might be going elsewhere than I have in my mind.

For the Carmanian Magi/Vizier I am thinking primarily of Sassanid clothing, but perhaps with some archaisms from the Ahaemenid period. There's bound to be Hellenic and Parthian influences in there as well, but I am not versed enough in the history of middle eastern clothing to really make a meaningful distinction. I go out googling for something that feels authentic, Gloranthan, and acceptably period-appropriate, just clarify where I'm at.

This stock image is based on a wall frieze that apparently depicts Shah Ardashir II, a Sassanid Emperor. Note the beard which fits well with Dara Happan (ie. Mesopotamian) styles, which makes sense, because we're dealing with cultures that have been influencing each other both in Glorantha and the RW.

ancient-persia-sassanid-period-monarch-a 

Also note the tall hat. Something like this, although perhaps not this exact thing, could be used, since the Carmanian Magi/Viziers are the remnants of the pre-Carmanian Zzaburite caste, who have a caste-restriction to be the tallest people around. They must also have beards. Both of these are things that I'd imagine to have more or less survived.

Also note the trousers. Good and warm for the Carmanian highlands which doubtlessly get cold at times, and fitting for a cavalry civilization, although this guy himself may or may not be involved with that, who knows.

Then there is this Achaemenid robe:

Achemenid-Persian-officers.jpg 

Flowing robes seems like a sign of status to me, and one that this Wizard-caste individual would either be required to wear, or wish to wear to signify his station. It would be great if the trousers were somehow visible through a front opening in the robes or something though.

Here are some great hats, including stuff like Phrygian cap-looking things, crowns, and big ol' tall hats. 

maxresdefault.jpg 

I think it would be cool to maybe incorporate some militaristic aspect to the clothing, since I see some of the Carmanian upper castes (viziers, nobles) as buying heavily into the whole “glorious conquering people” schtick. I figured it could some in the form of a few things, such as a heavy, reinforced belt with tassels coming down, and torso-spanning leather straps that are similarly reinforced (or decorated to look like it). They might also have boots that are made to look like reinforced cavalryman boots or something. If the Carmanian Viziers have the same Judaic-style Kohenim breastplates that the Rokari Zzaburites have, it could be neat to have it evolved into a more actual-breastplate style, maybe with references to the balance between light and dark, and Idovanus that oversees it all. The belt and leather straps are also visible in the Ardashir picture above (barely), but here’s one below, of a female Cataphract/Clibanarius who has them (note the tassels on both belt and torso-straps):

3f65fa7786ddcb5030586fdc93fc7930.jpg 

Lastly, I’ll include this picture of an artist’s interpretation of a Sassanid princess, mostly for the great night-sky pattern on her dress. I thought that between this, the long beard and the tall hat, it’s a neat little nod to the classic wizard trope. But this is of course entirely optional, and if you prefer other patterns (or no patterns at all, since it’s a sketch) that’s up to you.

429843d4a5e9ad100498c6f85fd94e66.jpg 

Edited by Sir_Godspeed

I'm going to try and help you along, though I'm a bit timid about stepping on Chaosium's feet or whatever, since the art direction might be going elsewhere than I have in my mind.

We don't need to keep this canon if we don't want to. My suggestion to post existing art was just that - it doesn't require you hunting for similar stuff - just post the thing that it is established as. (if it's established)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brootse said:

Wolf pirate arguing with a bazaar merchant.

only if it's that 7' tall naked lady that swam ashore in Prax's malarial swamp outpost, only to leave in disgust because there was literally nothing of value

not because she's nude, but because she's giant, covered in mud, and annoyed. make her scarred, filthy from the swim, and have amazonian muscles.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

only if it's that 7' tall naked lady that swam ashore in Prax's malarial swamp outpost, only to leave in disgust because there was literally nothing of value

not because she's nude, but because she's giant, covered in mud, and annoyed. make her scarred, filthy from the swim, and have amazonian muscles.

I'm gonna need a precise reference on this one because it is precisely the tier of bizarre Gloranthan thing that I love

3 minutes ago, JonBolds said:

I'm gonna need a precise reference on this one because it is precisely the tier of bizarre Gloranthan thing that I love

Pavis, Gateway to Adventure, p. 68, on Corflu:

In Storm season of 1614, Wolf Pirates visited Corflu. One ship anchored in the channel. However, instead of a horde of bloodthirsty raiders, only a single woman swam ashore and strode naked about the market. One person of all the gaping merchants spoke to her, offering to trade all his goods for a place among her crew. She did not accept, nor did she return with others to plunder this market, even though the wolf pirates were looting the coast. Such was the poverty of this place. 

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Iirc that was Gunda the Guilty, no idea though where I read it from, maybe here? And I think that that story was already in the River of Cradles set in RQ3.

11 minutes ago, Brootse said:

Iirc that was Gunda the Guilty, no idea though where I read it from, maybe here? And I think that that story was already in the River of Cradles set in RQ3.

The event is described in Biturian's visit to Corflu, in the Issaries cult (with the main piece being about that hyena skin).

Biturian makes no observations about her dress (or lack thereof).

Edited by Joerg

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 hours ago, JanPospisil said:

That's tempting, even if I wasn't really looking to draw nude ladies. :D 

you can make her covered by convenient whatever, plus covered in mud, especially if she's mostly facing the shopkeeper begging. the focus should definitely not be on her being naked per se; it's not about boobies but about how she's somehow the most threatening thing and bored despite being skyclad.

57 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

... she's somehow the most threatening thing and bored despite being skyclad.

isn't that mudclad?

(n.b. Scwarzenegger's "Mud Scene" in Predator'87)

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

The story of the wolf pirate that visited corflu is told in two places.  There's an interesting detail between the two.  First off, here's Bituarian:

But only a single female swam from the ship, striding
dripping through the market, carefully studying each booth.
None tried to speak to her but I. She wasn't buying.

Cults of Prax p60

And here's the objective version:

In Storm season of 1614, wolf pirates visited
Corflu. One ship anchored in the channel but
instead of a horde of bloodthirsty raiders only
a single woman swam ashore and strode naked
about the market. One person of all the gaping
merchants spoke to her, offering to trade all his
goods for a place among her crew. She did not
accept,
nor did she return with others to plunder
this market, even though the wolf pirates were
looting the coast. Such was the poverty of this
place

Pavis: Gateway to Adventure p50

Being rejected by the Wolf Pirates has to be quite a let-down as he still had truestones in his inventory (he gave one to the Gray Sages for investigation into Morak and another to the Chalanan in response to the Lightbringer summons).  No wonder, Bituarian left that tidbit out of his memoirs.

The comment about the Wolf Pirates looting the coast is interesting.  Whereas would they be looting besides Corflu?  The nearest human settlement would be God Forgot which about 150 miles away.

• Like 2