Seeking suggestions for “Ducks on the Road” campaign

DannyK

44 minutes ago, Cloud64 said:

We appear to have overlooked one reason we see ducks travelling in our world — migration. The gang of ducks has been overcome by an urge to travel somewhere warmer for no better reason than it’s just what they do at this time of year. They don’t plan a route, they just set off trusting that their gut Instinct will lead them to the right destination,  never questioning the path it leads them on, prepared to face all the hardships and joys they may encounter on the way. And of course, they always travel in a wedge formation. 

What I love about this is the lack of agenda.  These Ducks aren't warriors or outcasts or heroes.  They're just out for a good time together, with a pleasant lunch enjoyed along the way.  If only the Canadian geese that regularly invade my neighborhood were such decent fellows.

8 hours ago, seneschal said:

What I love about this is the lack of agenda.  These Ducks aren't warriors or outcasts or heroes.  They're just out for a good time together, with a pleasant lunch enjoyed along the way.  If only the Canadian geese that regularly invade my neighborhood were such decent fellows.

I think our merry band of ‘beakniks’ should be lead by Quack Kerouac. Their shtick is to regale friendly hosts with poetic tales of their exploits and the spiritual teachings they glean from them. These teachings are often troublesome to the local priesthoods, leading to the souring of their welcome, but moving on is what they are driven to do anyway. And so they happily proceed, ever onwards to the legendary endsville.

The lack of agenda, along with following a path by gut instinct, gives great opportunity for an episodic campaign, one where the beakniks are led to the next encounter as is the GM’s whim. Yet it will be an encounter coloured by the developing story, if not driven by it. There is a purpose to their journey, even if they are not aware of what it is, and as it is a migration, a time limit too. If they tarry too long they will develop an overwhelming sense of urgency that may turn destructive – whether through driving themselves too hard or violently removing any perceived obstacles in their way. 

Quack May become involved with Eillen Ginsbill* at some point on the journey. (* Not the best play on the Allen Ginsberg, I admit. I’m open to improvements.)

Edited by Cloud64

2 hours ago, Cloud64 said:

Quack May become involved with Eillen Ginsbill* at some point on the journey. (* Not the best play on the Allen Ginsberg, I admit. I’m open to improvements.)

I am awaiting a visit to the pond of William {Duckbill) Burrows, the great sharp shooter of apples, drugs and words—an heir to a vast fortune created by a sage who invented a new quill for recording scrolls decades ago,  A wandering poet by the name o’ Avian Ducksberg (well?) could,  well,  wander in for a bit of a “druluz duck in”...* and stay to recite his epic wail to the uncaring gods called “Quack” !

At about the time the band the Grateful Ducks are well into their second song (about two hours in) called “I Know You Rider” the Tuskers arrive... mounted by the vile Tusk Riders...

"Split man! It’s tha pigs" yells Burrows...

We will fade down this chaotic ** scene as pandemonium begins to encompass out heroes.

* If you are old enough or well read on the subject I hope you can see the (rather bad) homage to the  “human be ins” of SF fame.
** not being 
orderium, you were expecting what?

Edited by Bill the barbarian
comedy!
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

31 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

By the way, what title do you prefer?

I would go with "The Duck Bandits!" and yes I know it wasn't in the options.

As for why the ducks would be on the road, my first lame idea would be that they are on a quest to find some legendary McGuffin related to fighting their undead neighbours.

• Thanks 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

53 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

You're going to love this one-shot when it comes out in the Jonstown Compendium:

The-Duck-Bandits.jpg.053c226faafca11237a8e93253f6640b.jpg

By the way, what title do you prefer? :huh:  The authors are undecided...

The Duck Bandit Gang sounds awkward to my ear. Yozarians Gang doesn’t convey the essence of duck, but the cover pic does. How about Dastardly Ducks? Yozarian’s Gang is my favourite though. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Runeblogger said:

You're going to love this one-shot when it comes out in the Jonstown Compendium:

The-Duck-Bandits.jpg.053c226faafca11237a8e93253f6640b.jpg

By the way, what title do you prefer? :huh:  The authors are undecided...

THIS POST WAS MADE BY DUCK BANDIT GANG.😤😤😤☝️🦆

REAL BILL HOURS, WHO UP?🤑

(I regret nothing)

Although I do preger "Bandit Ducks!" for the catchiness.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, seneschal said:

You're not profiling these fine, upstanding young birds, are you?  🤔

just 'cause it walks like a duck, squawks like a duck, and weighs as much as a duck does not make it a witch! Err, hold it...

BURN IT!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

just 'cause it walks like a duck, squawks like a duck, and weighs as much as a duck does not make it a witch! Err, hold it...

BURN IT!

Only to a golden crisp, please...

"The bandit ducks" sounds like a phrase from a single player adventure... but it would have my vote out of the three titles.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Hey, I'm holding out for our licensed Chaosium RuneQuest Ducks (tm) toy line, sure to give Power Rangers and G.I. Joes a run for their money.  After all, Drulutz can't run, really, so they have to stand and fight.  Lord Zed and Cobra Commander are in peril before they even know it.

(Insert clever catch-phrase mirroring those of our favorite cartoon heroes.)

WHAT'S THIS, THEN? HORRIBLE NECROMANCERS BY GONN ORTA PASS? RESPONSIBLE FOR THE NIGHTS OF HORROR?

In 1623, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a Lunar court for a crime they didn't commit. These durulz promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Sartar underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire... The Duck-Team.

@metcalph

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/19/2019 at 5:53 PM, Qizilbashwoman said:

WHAT'S THIS, THEN? HORRIBLE NECROMANCERS BY GONN ORTA PASS? RESPONSIBLE FOR THE NIGHTS OF HORROR?

@metcalph

I'm sad that there has been neither outpouring of fan art nor suggesting for terrible Duck names and origin stories and roles.

I suggest we start with the premiss that they worked for the Lunars. After all, they suffered courts-martial from the Lunars...

Moor Duck would be a Loonie

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

• 1 month later...