Sentient weaponry

Sir_Godspeed

Are there any known cases of sentient swords, or weapons with active spirits bound in them and the like in Glorantha?

Shamans' paraphernalia sort of doesn't count. I mean, it does, but I'm already aware that shamans commonly bind spirits in various items they carry - if I've understood that correctly.

Bonus points for that trope where the weapon is so strong-willed it starts leading the wielder, and not the other way around. I've always had a soft spot for that one.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Are there any known cases of sentient swords, or weapons with active spirits bound in them and the like in Glorantha?

Every humakt with an allied spirit talks to the weapon and it answers. Many wind lords also, and other martial cults cultivate similar relationships with spears, scimitars and so on. Greg would have wanted at least one that could sing.

I suddenly find myself not knowing what happens to a spirit-inhabited weapon when the human consort dies or leaves the cult . . . you can get heirlooms in this way if the spirit remains behind, but if the bond breaks, the animating intelligence returns home. I'm leaning toward saying there are storied weapons and weapon spirits and sometimes the spirits have a preference for certain durable residences.

Whether an allied spirit or the wielder is the boss depends on the entities involved and the situation. Every marriage is different.

• Like 1

singer sing me a given

The one that immediately springs to my mind is the Windsword in Griffin Mountain, it has a spirit of Law bound to it that desires the wielder to fight Chaos. You have to overcome the spirit to use the sword, but isn't bound to the wielders will. If the wielder flinches at the chance to fight Chaos then the sword casts Face Chaos on them to try and make them fight.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 2:45 AM, Sir_Godspeed said:

Yes.

Balastor's Axe is one such weapon.

Nosebiter is another weapon, wielded by Trollkin who are named Nosebiter's Feet.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 10/31/2019 at 3:38 AM, HreshtIronBorne said:

I know of at least Balastor's Axe and Nosebiter, which possess the people that find them, or at least did in our campaigns. Lol. Nosebiter turned several NPCs and PCs into Nosebiter's Feet!

Damn, damn, damn! 🙂

• Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

It strikes me that the Passion rules might make a decent first pass at "forcing" a PC to do the will of an NPC sword...

Pick up the Windsword, gain "Passion:  Always Fight Chaos" at 65%  (or +20% if you already HAVE that Passion).

I pick 65% as midway between the 80% "forcing" level, and the 50% "actually the opposite, fails more than works" level.  Does the sword drive you up over 80% into nigh-Uroxi turf?  Can you draw it down to under 50% where you're mostly in control?

I (strongly) suspect an artifact such as the Windsword will have an array of ancillary Augments available to enhance that Passion at critical moments...     🗡️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, g33k said:

It strikes me that the Passion rules might make a decent first pass at "forcing" a PC to do the will of an NPC sword...

Pick up the Windsword, gain "Passion:  Always Fight Chaos" at 65%  (or +20% if you already HAVE that Passion).

I pick 65% as midway between the 80% "forcing" level, and the 50% "actually the opposite, fails more than works" level.  Does the sword drive you up over 80% into nigh-Uroxi turf?  Can you draw it down to under 50% where you're mostly in control?

I (strongly) suspect an artifact such as the Windsword will have an array of ancillary Augments available to enhance that Passion at critical moments...     🗡️

Ah, the more you use it to enhance your powers, the more it gains control over you. A very solid story trope!

• Like 1