Maximum Rune Point Pool

Godweyn

So, this is a thought, so far i know the CHA is the limit for the Rune Points you can sacrifice for the pool (ok, you can give more but for spells, and they don’t count for the pool).

But there i go and re-read the adventure book of the GameMaster Screen Pack, and there i take a look on Leika, and this good queen have 16 points in Orlanth (Adventurous and Rex) and 12 in Vinga, far exceeding her 21 CHA.

Then i go to the Core book, and see this little thing ""The maximum number of Rune points an adventurer can have with a single cult is equal to their CHA"...

Soo... still going with Leika as an example, her limit is actually 42 points?

And common rune spells such as Extension, i assume, can work in other cult spells even if they have different pools.

And again, if they are initiates of yet another cult (or subcult, like Vinga), they can have triple (and more) their CHA in points, I’m understanding this correctly?

9 minutes ago, Godweyn said:

So, this is a thought, so far i know the CHA is the limit for the Rune Points you can sacrifice for the pool (ok, you can give more but for spells, and they don’t count for the pool).

But there i go and re-read the adventure book of the GameMaster Screen Pack, and there i take a look on Leika, and this good queen have 16 points in Orlanth (Adventurous and Rex) and 12 in Vinga, far exceeding her 21 CHA.

Then i go to the Core book, and see this little thing ""The maximum number of Rune points an adventurer can have with a single cult is equal to their CHA"...

Soo... still going with Leika as an example, her limit is actually 42 points?

And common rune spells such as Extension, i assume, can work in other cult spells even if they have different pools.

And again, if they are initiates of yet another cult (or subcult, like Vinga), they can have triple (and more) their CHA in points, I’m understanding this correctly?

That is an error I recently became aware of. Leika should have a total of 16 points in Orlanth. Rune points is with the CULT, and not with each subcult. Vinga is a subcult of Orlanth Adventurous (which is an aspect of Orlanth).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff said:

That is an error I recently became aware of. Leika should have a total of 16 points in Orlanth. Rune points is with the CULT, and not with each subcult. Vinga is a subcult of Orlanth Adventurous (which is an aspect of Orlanth).

Ok, that explains a part of the matter.
Yet, then is correct that if you are, for example, an initiate of each one of the lightbringers, you can theoretically have 7xCHA Rune Points?

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

Maybe some of those points are stored in God time.

Can I try for a No-Prize? On the one hand, Leika has far too many Rune Points. On the other, her Allied Spirit doesn't have any, which must be an error. You can solve both of these in one go by saying that the overflow comes from the Allied Spirit but was "accidentally" baked into Leika's Rune points.

:-)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Godweyn said:

Ok, that explains a part of the matter.
Yet, then is correct that if you are, for example, an initiate of each one of the lightbringers, you can theoretically have 7xCHA Rune Points?

Bypass "Lightbringer", and go straight to Storm (or other) pantheon... Much better results! 

Technically, you'd get over 10x CHA... however, tithing becomes a real shit!

(Also, Chalana Arroy doesn't mix well with many of the others)

I'm coming around to the idea of giving HeroQuestors a Rune pool for spells learned on HeroQuests, in addition to the ones for each cult. 

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, kalidor said:

Just see the final reward for  defending the Grove in sacred time. Smoking ruins pdf

I am avoiding reading any RQG Adventures, in the hope that I'll be playing in an RQG Campaign later this year. It was scheduled for summer 2020, but might be autumn now.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

1 hour ago, lordabdul said:

Your RPG planning is off the charts! We barely know what we'll be playing next month, most of the time!

I am running a campaign at the moment and one of the Players wants to run RQG. He won't be ready before the summer, or now the autumn, so I am running down my campaign in readiness. Fortunately, we have long-running campaigns, with weekly sessions, so we know what campaigns we are going to play.

Just now, Akhôrahil said:
21 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Technically, you'd get over 10x CHA... however, tithing becomes a real shit!

So does spending more than 100% of your time on cult duties. With income, you can at least make sure you don’t earn any.

We played that you tithe 10% to your cults as an initiate and the cults split it up between them. Similarly, Rune Lords and Rune Priests pay 90% to their cults, split among the various cults.

9 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Whoa, that’s generous! I’m surprised the gods are okay with it.

Many of our PCs were in multiple cults and were Rune Levels. It was a reasonable compromise.

It is just a game, after all.

• Like 3

On 2/20/2020 at 3:34 PM, Godweyn said:

This is corrected in my copy and PDF. You might want to update your PDF if you have one.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

8 hours ago, soltakss said:

Many of our PCs were in multiple cults and were Rune Levels. It was a reasonable compromise.

That's still generous... it feels like being Rune Lord of multiple cults is a bit like a politician holding multiple positions -- they tend to do this out of greed and don't do a good job in most of these positions. While I might allow it if the players are very generous with all the temples, or otherwise manage to roleplay/convince/keep good standing with those temples, I might also start a background storyline where other Rune Lords or would-be Rune-level NPCs are trying to maneuver around the player to get them kicked out of the temple or something.

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

48 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

That's still generous...

It worked in our game.

49 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

it feels like being Rune Lord of multiple cults is a bit like a politician holding multiple positions -- they tend to do this out of greed and don't do a good job in most of these positions.

The combinations made sense at the time. Zorak Zoran/Storm Bull really hates Chaos and loves violence, Orlanth/Storm Bull hates Chaos more than a normal orlanthi but has more social position than a straight Storm Bull and so on.

50 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

While I might allow it if the players are very generous with all the temples, or otherwise manage to roleplay/convince/keep good standing with those temples, I might also start a background storyline where other Rune Lords or would-be Rune-level NPCs are trying to maneuver around the player to get them kicked out of the temple or something.

Our PCs killed more Chaos than most people, fought the Lunars more than most, killed more Trolls than most. To be honest, even the least active were more active than most normal Rune Lords or Rune Priests.

Try telling an Orlanth/Storm Bull PC that he isn't living up to the ideals of a cult, after he has climbed over a mountain of corpses in a Thed Great temple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lordabdul said:

That's still generous... it feels like being Rune Lord of multiple cults is a bit like a politician holding multiple positions -- they tend to do this out of greed and don't do a good job in most of these positions. While I might allow it if the players are very generous with all the temples, or otherwise manage to roleplay/convince/keep good standing with those temples, I might also start a background storyline where other Rune Lords or would-be Rune-level NPCs are trying to maneuver around the player to get them kicked out of the temple or something.

While @soltakss was beibeing specific about his game, don't forget that God-Talker is a "Rune Master" now, which is basically a higher level Initiate. 

And after you've got your first RL rank, there's not a huge benefit (over God-Talker) now. A kind GM might give you multiple Allied Spirits... 

On 2/23/2020 at 3:24 AM, Shiningbrow said:

While @soltakss was beibeing specific about his game, don't forget that God-Talker is a "Rune Master" now, which is basically a higher level Initiate. 

Since Initiates get reusable Rune Magic, there is less impetus for a player to sprint headlong to Rune Level, so the time requirements will be less onerous in RQG. Sure, you still get some nice Rune Level perks, but the reusable divine was always the big trophy to go for.

For munchkins, anyway, but I was never a munchkin.

Edited by PhilHibbs

5 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Since Initiates get reusable Rune Magic, there is less impetus for a player to sprint headlong to Rune Level, so the time requirements will be less onerous in RQG. Sure, you still get some nice Rune Level perks, but the reusable divine was always the big trophy to go for.

For munchkins, anyway, but I was never a munchkin.

God-Talker only really has one truly big thing - better POW gain. Although since you will have POW 18 anyway, it's not actually better POW gain, but rather getting to have 18 instead of, say, 14-15 in POW. Which isn't nothing, but it's nothing like the old difference between Initiate and Acolyte.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 7:48 PM, Akhôrahil said:

God-Talker only really has one truly big thing - better POW gain. Although since you will have POW 18 anyway, it's not actually better POW gain, but rather getting to have 18 instead of, say, 14-15 in POW. Which isn't nothing, but it's nothing like the old difference between Initiate and Acolyte.

Well you also get really good Pow gain rolls (5-6 as per our other discussion) which you can pump into enchanting. Which stacks up pretty quickly into huge benefits. 

18 minutes ago, Thaz said:

Well you also get really good Pow gain rolls (5-6 as per our other discussion) which you can pump into enchanting. Which stacks up pretty quickly into huge benefits. 

This only matters in seasons when you're not adventuring (which might be 0), or if you somehow manage not to get a POW gain roll during the adventure.