Covers of all German RuneQuest and HeroQuest books

Runeblogger

Hi,

As with the post about the French covers of RQ and HQ, I've now compiled all existing RQ and HQ covers of the German edition.  👈
(Except for those which look the same as the original editions).

I hope you enjoy the read (remember to use Google translate to transmute the text into your language of preference)  😁
and let me know what you think.

Edited by Runeblogger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

Ah, yes, the old German Welt der Spiele edition of RuneQuest 3. Brings back memories. :) 

Given what else was available in the German language at the time, RuneQuest was a blesséd sight for sore eyes back then. "Ruf des Warlock", and other assorted atrocities...

7 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

As with the post about the French covers of RQ and HQ

...which was helpful for me because it listed a couple books I wasn't aware of! (Thanks!) I tracked one via eBay, and I'm now just missing one French Herowars book (the Anaxial Roster one) out of my French Herowars collection. It's kind of dear to my heart since these books were the very first Gloranthan books I ever bought, and upon reading their first chapters I went "what the fuck is this?" and proceeded to never touch them again for several years (I was young).

I really like the cover of the German adventure book. Are there more details about the scenarios in it?

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

1 hour ago, Runeblogger said:

I've never herad of it. Why was that atrocious? 

Be glad you never heard of it. To begin with, it used a 30-sided die (d30)...

With the sole exception of RuneQuest, I wasn’t that much into German RPGs back in the 90s, original or translated (...come to think of it, neither am I today). I do own some German language Mythras stuff, though, mainly because the translator is the very same who also translated WDS RuneQuest back then: Lutz Reimers. Fun fact: his daughter Julia, by now a member of the Chaosium staff, has translated RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha. It still awaits publishing by Uhrwerk Verlag...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

...which was helpful for me because it listed a couple books I wasn't aware of! (Thanks!) I tracked one via eBay, and I'm now just missing one French Herowars book (the Anaxial Roster one) out of my French Herowars collection. It's kind of dear to my heart since these books were the very first Gloranthan books I ever bought, and upon reading their first chapters I went "what the fuck is this?" and proceeded to never touch them again for several years (I was young).

Hahaha! 😆 Funny that you found about that in a post written in Spanish! I think the reaction you describe was common in many fans, even RQ veterans at the time, because HW was so different to previous RPGs. I only got around to play it after my GM insisted a lot, and then I loved it.

27 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

I really like the cover of the German adventure book. Are there more details about the scenarios in it?

I guess you mean the HeroQuest adventures book. You can see a preview and the title of the scenarios here. Are you interested in any of them in particular?

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

3 minutes ago, foolcat said:

Fun fact: his daughter Julia, by now a member of the Chaosium staff, has translated RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha. It still awaits publishing by Uhrwerk Verlag...

That fun fact is included in the post! 😁  (André Jarosch told me!)

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

You can see a preview and the title of the scenarios here. Are you interested in any of them in particular?

I was just curious about how many of these scenarios are based in Glorantha, and whether they have any cool premise or character or whatever.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

25 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

I was just curious about how many of these scenarios are based in Glorantha, and whether they have any cool premise or character or whatever.

There is at least one scenario set in Glorantha. Jörg is cited as coauthor of one of the scenarios, so maybe he'll pop in to tell us more! 😄

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

I hope you enjoy the read (remember to use Google translate to transmute the text into your language of preference)  😁
and let me know what you think.

A nice collection.

Three covers of Gloranthan novels or story collections published by  @AndreJarosch via Chaos Society (two Penelope Love books - "The Widow's Tale" and "Eurhol's Vale", one Jim Chapin book) are missing, though.

The Kraken convention chap-book covers don't have much in the way of images.

One minor niggle: the first RuneQuest convention at Castle Stahleck in Bacharach (Rheingoldqueste) was in 1996. The first Tentacles convention followed in the next year, in the same location.

50 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

There is at least one scenario set in Glorantha. Jörg is cited as coauthor of one of the scenarios, so maybe he'll pop in to tell us more! 😄

There are two Gloranthan scenarios in the HeroQuest Adventure Book. My Gloranthan one is meant to be expanded for English publication, but I have been waiting for the Nochet book to be able to set it in the canonical setting. A good part of that scenario had been written in English before I started to prepare it for the German publication, and without strong input from Robin Mitra (editor in chief and initiator of the German HeroQuest books) it would not have been finished for inclusion in that book. It is about a pilgrimage for the female descendants of an ancient Asrelia priestess in Sartar whose dying wish was for her body to be interred in her birth-family's crypt in (or outside of) Nochet.

The other Gloranthan scenario is set in Fonrit and deals with the miraculous birth of a divine child in that land.

The rest of the scenarios explore the HQ system in a variety of settings - historical ones (like a journey through northern Europe in 1066), modern ones in various genres. 

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

7 hours ago, Joerg said:

Three covers of Gloranthan novels or story collections published by  @AndreJarosch via Chaos Society (two Penelope Love books - "The Widow's Tale" and "Eurhol's Vale", one Jim Chapin book) are missing, though.

The Kraken convention chap-book covers don't have much in the way of images.

It´s an article about GERMAN LANGUAGE publications. 
I assume the novels and Kraken Chapbooks will be covered in a later article. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Joerg said:

One minor niggle: the first RuneQuest convention at Castle Stahleck in Bacharach (Rheingoldqueste) was in 1996. The first Tentacles convention followed in the next year, in the same location.

Thanks, I have now edited that. 😌

18 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

or maybe listen to Wind Words. We will be interviewing our long standing (standing long) Glorantha-phile and fellow podcaster at some point.

17 hours ago, Joerg said:

Jörg,  I will need to see a copy of that. Any chance?

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

18 hours ago, Joerg said:

Ummm. That' not quite how I remember it. AFAIR, and IIRC, (German) RuneQuest Con 1994 was that heat-ridden, mosquito-infested inferno held at the former FDJ IndoktrinationsFerienlager near Berlin. That was my first one, because I played with Lutz and Kelly in Cologne at the time, and they invited me along.

The RuneQuest Con (other possible names notwithstanding) next year in 1995 was the first one held at Burg Stahleck in Bacharach. Followed by another RuneQuest Con held there in 1996, which hosted the most infamous FreeForm of times memorable, because some crucial bit of information didn't make it to the players, resulting in a lot of head scratching and mulling around... The first Con called Tentacles over Bacharach was held in the year after that, 1997.

Now, it might as well be that I misremember some (hopefully not all) of this, so take this with a grain of salt. I blame universe-altering substances I was partial to at the time. 🍄😎   

Edited by foolcat

23 minutes ago, foolcat said:

Ummm. That' not quite how I remember it. AFAIR, and IIRC, (German) RuneQuest Con 1994

To help all concerned, here's the helpful pages from the 2014 programme book, I'm sure I've got a PDF of the History of the German RQ society somewhere?

and also : http://www.die-sns.de/SchattenSeiten/SchattenSeiten_English/History_of_the_RuneQuest_socie/body_history_of_the_runequest_socie.html

626448097_2014EternalConpage30.thumb.jpg.887fab635c57c497c5ba63dd91e32af5.jpg852898956_2014EternalConpage31.thumb.jpg.bcdb50ca953ee67eb1db1ae906f4b0a9.jpg

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

26 minutes ago, David Scott said:

To help all concerned, here's the helpful pages from the 2014 programme book, I'm sure I've got a PDF of the History of the German RQ society somewhere?

and also : http://www.die-sns.de/SchattenSeiten/SchattenSeiten_English/History_of_the_RuneQuest_socie/body_history_of_the_runequest_socie.html

Thank you, David, that was helpful. Seems I lost a year somewhen back then. I consider this a bargain. 😝 But I remembered correctly that the first Tentacles Con was indeed one year later.

Edited by foolcat
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Jörg,  I will need to see a copy of that. Any chance?

I think The Chaos Society may still have copies of Eurhol's Vale and It's not Easy Being Grim available.
See the comments section in my review of The Widow's Tale. 🙂

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

The Widow´s Tale" is sold out / out of print / out of stock / not to be reprinted (at least not by us)

"Eurhols Vale" is still available. --> https://www.ebay.de/itm/362930870968

Which one is the one Joerg co-authored? We are working on a few projects and seeing an example of his early work would be helpful.

3 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Which one is the one Joerg co-authored? We are working on a few projects and seeing an example of his early work would be helpful.

none - those are the fiction works that Andre published for the Chaos Society.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

31 minutes ago, Joerg said:

none - those are the fiction works that Andre published for the Chaos Society.

Ahh no @AndreJarosch, I should not have quoted you, my bad, I was referring to the project Joerg coauthored specifically, it will give me a bit of insight for a project we are working on. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Joerg, Is there a copy still available of the work that I could buy and therefore benefit you and your co-author and any cause you might (have) been fundraising for, or am I way too late for that?

Cheers