Runes

allenowen

On 5/5/2020 at 10:32 AM, Joerg said:

In Gods War, you can deal these rolls out to your opponents' rolls - reduce their dice pool by one and dictate the number.

Taking the fumble on an attempt at inspiration of a Power rune opposed to the one you want to raise would be an abuse of this magic. And first rolling the critical hit, then following up with a 00 on the critical hit effects is another blatant abuse.

Sorry, but this rules proposal needs work.

Just make GM be the one to choose when to use all the fail & fumble rolls, unless the PC elects to use a success (GM cannot override a PC's stated success, but can say "fine, that's a fail!" If the player is waffling).

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, jajagappa said:

But what would it mean to be Inspired by Fate? or Inspired by Luck? ...

"This is my Destiny... no one and nothing can prevent me from <X>..."

"Luck us with me, and I can achieve anything!"

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

Any day now.

No, next year :) 

17 hours ago, jajagappa said:

But what would it mean to be Inspired by Fate? or Inspired by Luck? 

Or is it just a mechanism to allow casting of spells that use those Runes?

It might be just a couple Runes used for new gameplay mechanisms, a bit like the Magic Rune for Sorcery (which I believe you can get, but doesn't have any inspiration mechanics?). For example, the Luck Rune affinity might be used for some Luck mechanism similar to the CoC one, but with a Gloranthan spin.

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

On 5/8/2020 at 3:40 PM, jajagappa said:

But what would it mean to be Inspired by Fate? or Inspired by Luck? 

Or is it just a mechanism to allow casting of spells that use those Runes?

inspired by fate : your fate (gm) could change your roll dice result because you have to succeed / failed / live / dye

inspired by luck :  your luck (gm) could change your roll dice, transforming a failure in success or a death in wounds. May be a kind of "hero point" that a player can (or the gm ?) burn in some specific situation

Edited by French Desperate WindChild
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...

Also, while I'm thinking about runes... Is there any other established use/meaning for the rune previously used for Godsday? The one that looks like half a Fate rune.

Hmm... I note that in the Sourcebook p.135, the Fate rune = Wildday and Luck = Godsday in the, while the Guide p.112, uses Fate rune = Godsday and Luck = Wildday. I'm assuming the Sourcebook's in error.

3 hours ago, Ned said:

I note that in the Sourcebook p.135, the Fate rune = Wildday and Luck = Godsday in the, while the Guide p.112, uses Fate rune = Godsday and Luck = Wildday. I'm assuming the Sourcebook's in error.

As I recall going way back to RQ2, Wildday was always the Luck Rune and Godsday the Fate Rune, and the calendar in the GM Pack also supports that, so yes I think the Sourcebook is in error. 

image.png.11f87b88b2af9682e7fd8f5726409e9c.png

3 hours ago, Ned said:

Is there any other established use/meaning for the rune previously used for Godsday? The one that looks like half a Fate rune.

Assuming you may mean this one: image.png.e7e88c1e0c79d5662eda5fc80e2261b8.png

If so, that's variously the Rune of Theya (so the Dawn Rune vs. Rausa's Dusk Rune), or the Rune of the Gods World (i.e. Theism in HQ1), and in the DH alphabet it represents the sign for immortal deities and celestial beings.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ned said:

Thread necromancy due to me just noticing an uncommon rune in an official publication: Rausa/Dusk rune, p.122 of The Guide, in a depiction fo the Lightbringer's Quest.

Yes, see also the list of Common and uncommon runes on https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/gloranthan-documents/introduction-to-runes/

where Rausa has a different rune again, see also Theya. Here's a clearer version from Greg's notes:  

1098987387_Screenshot2021-04-19at10_14_13.png.8699f9ad0195f1714d18aaa7115a12f6.png

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

18 hours ago, Ned said:

Also, while I'm thinking about runes... Is there any other established use/meaning for the rune previously used for Godsday? The one that looks like half a Fate rune.

14 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Assuming you may mean this one: image.png.e7e88c1e0c79d5662eda5fc80e2261b8.png

I'm assuming he meant :20-condition-luck: (Luck) which could be seen as the bottom half of :20-condition-fate: (Fate).