Runes

allenowen

4 minutes ago, allenowen said:

i get the impression there are other Runes beyond the ones listed in the core book. Is that correct?

Yup, there's a bunch, though most of them are subsets or composites of the core ones in RQG, such as Communication (Harmony+Movement) or Light (Sky/Fire-Heat). RQ only uses the core set to keep things manageable.

3 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Yup, there's a bunch, though most of them are subsets or composites of the core ones in RQG, such as Communication (Harmony+Movement) or Light (Sky/Fire-Heat). RQ only uses the core set to keep things manageable.

I'm not so certain.

In prior editions of RQ, and other games in Glorantha (e.g. HW/HQ), there have been many such runes.

It's unclear to me whether this is now (or will become in future publications) true for RQG.  Neither am I clear that it won't be.

@Jeff has confirmed a few such DO exist, IIRC... e.g. the Fate rune.

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 hours ago, allenowen said:

Is that correct?

Yes.

RQG mentions the basic core runes, Elements (Darkness, Water, Earth, Air, Fire, Moon) Forms (Beast, Man, Plant, Dragonewt, Chaos, spirit), Conditions (Mastery, Magic, Infinity, Luck & Fate) and Powers (Harmony, Disorder, Life, Death, Truth, Illusion, Movement, Stasis).

The bestiary covers the Plant, dragonewt and spirit runes.

The upcoming cults book has:

Forms: explains why adventurers don't have Plant, Dragonewt, Chaos, Undead, on their sheet.

Conditions: Mastery, Magic, Infinity, Luck & Fate

Partial Runes: Light, Heat, Cold.

Combination Runes: Communication

----

Then we move on to other runes not used in the rules, but from other editions. HeroQuest and Hero Wars had loads of runes. I call these god runes, they are best viewed as runes, that symbolise gods, spirits, groups, heroes, schools, they are mostly combination runes, but would not be used with the RQG rules. They are also used in art, tattoos, etc.

Most of this is covered here:

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/gloranthan-documents/introduction-to-runes/

• Like 4

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 4/29/2020 at 6:01 PM, David Scott said:

The upcoming cults book has:

Forms: explains why adventurers don't have Plant, Dragonewt, Chaos, Undead, on their sheet.

Conditions: Mastery, Magic, Infinity, Luck & Fate

Partial Runes: Light, Heat, Cold.

Combination Runes: Communication

Will this merely be mentioning? Or go into what happens when you have % in them?

5 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Will this merely be mentioning? Or go into what happens when you have % in them?

The cults that have those runes work just as all runes with a %, you can cast your relevant rune spells with them. Where there are rune spells or abilities associated with those runes, they are included. Some runes are not linked to cults eg, Infinity & Luck.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

8 hours ago, David Scott said:

The cults that have those runes work just as all runes with a %, you can cast your relevant rune spells with them. Where there are rune spells or abilities associated with those runes, they are included. Some runes are not linked to cults eg, Infinity & Luck.

Can you give us a list of the runes that may become available to PCs in the Cults book?  Or at least a few exemplars?

Also:  will we get any new character sheets, with space for these new runes?

C'es ne pas un .sig

15 hours ago, David Scott said:

Thx.

So... Is there something about what having % in Infinity or Luck can mean or be useful for?

12 hours ago, g33k said:

Can you give us a list of the runes that may become available to PCs in the Cults book?  Or at least a few exemplars?

We have seen most of these before. Eg, Trolls have Aranea with the Fate Rune, Himile with the Cold Rune, Subere with the Magic Rune, Xentha with the Mastery Rune.

Have a look here at the Key for all the current references, there'll be a couple of minor changes once the new book is published as the references are updated:

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/gloranthan-documents/glorantha-2/glorantha-core-rune-font/

12 hours ago, g33k said:

Also:  will we get any new character sheets, with space for these new runes?

I would imagine there will be a troll sheet when new trollpak appears at some point, but you are realistically only going to get a single new rune from you cult. There's plenty of room on the front to draw it in by hand or use a PDF editor. Here I've added a mastery rune for an Orlanth Rex initiate, room for another three runes if needed:

1007891947_MasteryRune.png.d517141f03f19234545ff456a63d3133.png

-----

9 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

% in Infinity or Luck can mean or be useful for?

Infinity is the God Rune. If you've obtained this, you've attained a permanent place in the Gods World, and you are either: a) a god like Sartar, gone from the mortal world, but worshipped within and now providing your special magic to your followers; or b) a superhero like Jar-eel or Harrek who can still move between the worlds, but are effectively a demi-god.

As for the Luck rune, it's something of a Trickster rune. Something where you might alter or shift the probabilities of the world. Maybe it flips the odds (your successes are failures, your failures successes) - likely/obviously for everything.  Maybe you get a second-chance roll - but the odds of fumbling double. It's something of the random chance of the world focused on you.  (It is often paired with Fate as if they were another pair of Power Runes.  Or in the Holy Country it is paired with Death in the Tournament of Luck and Death - the chance you take with each and every breath.)

I have been trying to look more into the Luck Rune. I am running a campaign with a bunch of Lanbril Pavis Survivors and other rough types but, I think Luck could be a good unifying thread for the diverse group of PCs. 

Would you know any sources I could look at to find info that isn't just, Belintar and Asrelia are associated with it?

12 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

Would you know any sources I could look at to find info that isn't just, Belintar and Asrelia are associated with it?

Not sure what you're looking to find - there really aren't many details.

RQ2 p.58: LUCK - (Chance) - Thought to be both an expression of Chaos, and yet the stamp of approval of the gods. It is little used, except in the Holy Country, where the Masters of Luck and Death proudly display the symbol of the chance they take with every breath.

HQG p.18 & SKoH p.71: Luck
Meaning: Fortuity, fate, destiny
Many legends and tales teach the futility of trying to outmaneuver an inexorable fate that has been foreordained. The rune is little used, except in the Holy Country, where the Masters of Luck and Death proudly display the symbol of the chance they take with every breath.
Personality Traits: reckless, fatalistic

Something you might look at is Call of Cthulhu's Luck Points. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

I have been trying to look more into the Luck Rune. I am running a campaign with a bunch of Lanbril Pavis Survivors and other rough types but, I think Luck could be a good unifying thread for the diverse group of PCs. 

You could use a Luck as a runic inspiration for anything.  What I'm trying to figure out is what to use Fate for.

Edit:  A stray idea.  Use fate as a limit to Luck.  Every successful use of a Luck inspiration decreases its potential maximum.  The problem with this idea is that it's non-gloranthan - it doesn't quite mesh with how gloranthans view fortune and fate.

Edited by metcalph
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, metcalph said:

What I'm trying to figure out is what to use Fate for.

Prophecy.  Omens.  The words of the Seers of Kev.  A moment of clarity and vision by a trickster or madman.

I might have a character roll 3 dice.  Might be a d20 with a full set of regular Runes (e.g. the Rune table in 13G), or might be a d6 (element), d8 (power), and a third die such as the d20 noted.  (I've used other variants too)

Whatever is rolled is an omen or prophecy of some pending Fate. So you might roll:  Air, Disorder, and Illusion.  It's fated, but what does it mean?  The Desert Wind is coming, but it's not really the Desert Wind, but Gagarth's Wild Hunt?  Greed and false words will devastate your community?  Etc. Provides a lot of room to play around with and avoids being too specific, yet achieves a sense of fate.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Or, roll a percentile, and you can use it for any other roll in the next 24 hours..

Reminds me of the "Wisdom" dice for Lhankor Mhy in the new Secret Gods for Sandy Petersen's The Gods War.  Gets 6 dice, one for each value.  Can substitute one for a specific roll.

You could do something similar in RQG.  Whether via spell or curse (or some other effect), your next 10 die rolls are:  01, 05, 25, 40, 50, 50, 60, 75, 96, 00.  You can use in any order, but you are certain to crit something and certain to fumble something.  And you must use all of those before you can roll normally again.

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Reminds me of the "Wisdom" dice for Lhankor Mhy in the new Secret Gods for Sandy Petersen's The Gods War.  Gets 6 dice, one for each value.  Can substitute one for a specific roll.

You could do something similar in RQG.  Whether via spell or curse (or some other effect), your next 10 die rolls are:  01, 05, 25, 40, 50, 50, 60, 75, 96, 00.  You can use in any order, but you are certain to crit something and certain to fumble something.  And you must use all of those before you can roll normally again.

In Gods War, you can deal these rolls out to your opponents' rolls - reduce their dice pool by one and dictate the number.

Taking the fumble on an attempt at inspiration of a Power rune opposed to the one you want to raise would be an abuse of this magic. And first rolling the critical hit, then following up with a 00 on the critical hit effects is another blatant abuse.

Sorry, but this rules proposal needs work.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Hrmmm ...

What do people think of having Fate & Luck as an opposed pair totalling 100% ?

Is your destiny dominant, or is your life more random and unpredictable?

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

16 hours ago, g33k said:

What do people think of having Fate & Luck as an opposed pair totalling 100% ?

But what would it mean to be Inspired by Fate? or Inspired by Luck? 

Or is it just a mechanism to allow casting of spells that use those Runes?