Dreamlands

smiorgan

Thanks! I've read it will have rules for treating dreams in different ways. Will it also have scenarios? New ones?

For some reason I have always loved HPL Dreamlands stories even if I am unsure whether they really gel with a regular CoC campaign. It seems almost a variant game to me, like say Pulp Cthulhu vs regular CoC. So, I guess one can either try to make the Dreamlands as relevant as possible for CoC games or have them be their own mini-game or style of play. 

Older editions were a bit on the fence I guess. Veering towards the second option with the fourth edition (which however, introduced a lot of Lumley and left out the best scenario of the original book).

I'd like to see Dreamlands treated as a distinct style of play, but closer to the original HPL stories and less pastiche.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dethstrok9 said:

It is coming... I have seen it... In a cyclopean city where many books remain. In mine slumber the time doth wane.

I've seen it three times in the distance in the light of a glorious sunset, it was on sale in a stall in the market of unpublished books, but I could not descend the marble stairs that led to the narrow streets where the market was held. For three times I remained on the high terrace...

I was about to lose faith when a voice reminded me: "with the passage of strange aeons, many books are published and even Pulp Cthulhu did become a thing."

• Haha 2

My group just wrapped up a nine-session arc in the Dreamlands. We had a lot of fun. I ultimately decided I needed to move it back to the Waking World because I was running out of ideas that would keep is consistent with the wider campaign arc. I'm definitely looking forward to the new edition!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davewire said:

I’ve been rereading the entire Dream Cycle recently and just got a copy of the 5th edition Dreamlands sourcebook. Does anyone have any suggestions for some good pre-written Dreamlands modules?

The tricky part is that full scenario books can be hard to find, or scenarios are isolated within other collections. The Dreaming Stone, which is difficult to find, is a classic supplement. In addition, Dennis Detweiler's Sense of the Sleight of Hand Man contains a lot of lore and situations that are great fodder for any Dreamlands scenario ideas or campaign arcs. I carved a lot of material from this supplement for my Dreamlands section. There are some interesting artifacts and characters to draw from.

I'd also recommend that, if you'd like more, just spend some time reading scenario synopses of various collections. Many of them have one Dreamlands scenario as part of them.

Edited by klecser
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2020 at 10:20 PM, Mike M said:

It's coming, but not for a while yet.

Is it ok to make a request/suggestion for a subchapter?  Specifically advice on customising the presentation of the Dreamlands to match the atmospheres of your other setting books - what to play up or down, or shift a bit, and so on - for Berlin, or Harlem, or India if that campaign's out by then.

1 hour ago, SunlessNick said:

Is it ok to make a request/suggestion for a subchapter?  Specifically advice on customising the presentation of the Dreamlands to match the atmospheres of your other setting books - what to play up or down, or shift a bit, and so on - for Berlin, or Harlem, or India if that campaign's out by then.

Way ahead of you

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Charaina said:

Will there be information or material on creating aspects of crazier elements, like alien dreamworlds?

Maybe...  what would you specifically find useful?  That question is thrown open to all BTW - just be realistic (I can only siphon about 60 mins worth of Azathoth's dreams per day).

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 2:26 AM, Mike M said:

Maybe...  what would you specifically find useful?  That question is thrown open to all BTW - just be realistic (I can only siphon about 60 mins worth of Azathoth's dreams per day).

I think they mean more stuff than just "there are alien dreamlands", which is how older editions dealt with them.
Also the new Dreamlands sounds VERY exciting! I must ask tho, how much of the original edition will stay? It sounds like there's going to be a big change in focus for this one, and IMHO that's a good thing.

I hope the gazetteer sections get rewritten in particular. Because IMHO the short descriptions were too short and boring in that. Obviously full descriptions of cities and forests isn't in the cards, but there still needs to be something interesting for the gm to leech off of for future game ideas. Most of the gazetteer descriptions weren't that, they were usually stuff like "the forest is haunted" or "it's a small city" without giving much reason as to why you should even set adventures in those areas and not just stay in more explored areas such as Uthar or The Moon. It should really be written as if it's an "plot hooks" chapter that just happens to be organized in the layout of an atlas.

Regardless, looking forward to it!

On 5/11/2020 at 12:25 AM, smiorgan said:

Yes, these are the two.

I ran a slightly revised Dreaming Stone campaign as part of a fantasy RPG (yes it was Elric!). Ten great sessions. One of my players was a psionically gifted space-pilot; the other two were shamans from different parts of Nehwon. It's interesting because the Dreamlands is similar to a fantasy campaign world but tonally different, though maybe not so much as from a normal Call of Cthulhu horror setting. I've got the Sense of the Sleight of Hand Man and it is well written but I've not played it.

Edited by Questbird
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 7:28 AM, Questbird said:

. One of my players was a psionically gifted space-pilot; the other two were shamans from different parts of Nehwon.

Yes! I love some Nehwon in my Elric! Cthulhu pastiche!

Who was the antagonist in your campaign?

3 hours ago, smiorgan said:

Yes! I love some Nehwon in my Elric! Cthulhu pastiche!

Who was the antagonist in your campaign?

Hehe. All the PCs were drawn into the Dreamlands by chasing the bumbling acquaintance from the Dreaming Stone adventure. However each had a different reason to follow him. He had been duped by (maybe Nyarlathotep) into luring wizards into the Dreamlands. One character, a shaman, was trying to stop that behaviour. Another character who had survived the River of Cradles campaign (there's some Glorantha in my Nehwon Elric! Cthulhu Dreamlands pastiche!) noticed that the mysterious stranger had the mark of the River God, and was curious (in fact he had been marked by the god but ran away from his 'responsibilities'). The third player, the psionic pilot was just a drugged out dreamer who was curious as to how the guy got on board his ship and followed him down an access ladder to the Cavern of Flame.

In my campaign Nyarlathotep was more of a menacing presence than a manifestation (fantasy Dreamlands rather than horror Dreamlands), though the moonbeasts were real enough. The players realised they shouldn't keep the Dreaming Stone by themselves. The pilot offered to shoot it into the sun in his universe.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...