Favorite Setting  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite setting?

• Lovecraft’s Massachusetts
    • Far off, exotic places
    • My hometown and surrounding areas
    • Towns and cities of my own design
    • Other

When you play CoC, do you prefer traveling to the fictional towns and cities of Lovecraft’s Massachusetts, far off places you’ve never been or only visited, your hometown or places close to home, or do you like to invent your own locations?

Edited by davewire
  • Like 3

For someone born, raised and currently residing in the MidWest, the "Old World," "lived in" feel of the East Coast can seem like a "far off, exotic place." And to people elsewhere in the world, the mystique of 1920s New England is likely that too!

Edited by klecser

13 hours ago, davewire said:

When you play CoC, do you prefer traveling to the fictional towns and cities of Lovecraft’s Massachusetts, far off places you’ve never been or only visited, your hometown or places close to home, or do you like to invent your own locations?

We typically play in and around New Orleans as the group has strong ties there and everyone loves the atmosphere.

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

I voted Lovecraft's Massachussetts, and it's a far-off exotic place for french... I also run many CoC scenarios in familiar towns, especially when I have new players who don't know CoC and who aren't aware of playing CoC... 😈

Then, Lovecraft's Massachussetts still remains an entire universe in its own right. Don't need to develop that further. I would just take advantage of the opportunity to salute Chaosium's wonderful job, since its beginning, to produce "town guides" and "secrets of" with high-quality level. I even keep some I know I will never use in game, but just for reading enjoyment!!!

• Like 1

I live just outside of Boston, and we play at my girlfriend's house on the North Shore, just about where Arkham lies on the Lovecraft Country map from CoC7e. The Danvers Asylum (from one of the Doors to Darkness scenarios) is on a hill right near a grocery store she shops at. So the East Coast is both my hometown region and Lovecraft's New England. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

I've never been The Keeper (and only have two sessions under my belt), but if I DID get the chance to rum a game... either Melbourne, Berlin, or Harlem. So, anywhere with an official 7e book in the standard ERA but not the standard AREAS, I guess.

Random thought: I want an LA book, now that I think about it. And, yes, I know Trail had 'Filmland', but that's not 7e...

16 hours ago, klecser said:

For someone born, raised and currently residing in the MidWest, the "Old World," "lived in" feel of the East Coast can seem like a "far off, exotic place." And to people elsewhere in the world, the mystique of 1920s New England is likely that too!

8 hours ago, Loïc said:

I voted Lovecraft's Massachussetts, and it's a far-off exotic place for french... I also run many CoC scenarios in familiar towns, especially when I have new players who don't know CoC and who aren't aware of playing CoC... 😈

Then, Lovecraft's Massachussetts still remains an entire universe in its own right. Don't need to develop that further. I would just take advantage of the opportunity to salute Chaosium's wonderful job, since its beginning, to produce "town guides" and "secrets of" with high-quality level. I even keep some I know I will never use in game, but just for reading enjoyment!!!

While Lovecraft’s Massachusetts could be deemed far off or exotic for someone not from New England, the difference I was implying was fictional versus real locations. Boston would be the far-off or “exotic” locale whereas Kingsport would be Lovecraft’s Massachusetts.

14 minutes ago, davewire said:

While Lovecraft’s Massachusetts could be deemed far off or exotic for someone not from New England, the difference I was implying was fictional versus real locations. Boston would be the far-off or “exotic” locale whereas Kingsport would be Lovecraft’s Massachusetts.

My real experience INFORMS my appreciation of the fiction. You asked how we felt about different locales. That's how I feel through my real-life lens. Every individual reader of fiction interprets fiction differently.

I would love to get into the London setting from Cubicle 7, or the Berlin of Wicked City, but familiarity with the New England of the original Lovecraft material means the best locales to explore initially are going to be in and around Arkham. I think once my group are comfortable with the system and their characters' foibles and frailty in the game, I will start to explore some places further afield in the US to begin with. The White Dwarf Hollywood based scenario looks great, and there are still the Keeper's Guide locations to check out. A change of time period will no doubt feel more comfortable after some more experience in the classic setting. It is still early days for me as a keeper so I have yet to grow my confidence with other settings even if I read the scenarios for them voraciously.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...