Glorantha Has Talent?

Bill the barbarian

tAo6gl47wUlu1Jp7L47_n_LsRfgJOVPR3hzpyHsNDA621oaEDwvVwbzUe2wBx1DZiVJNH7lGZ479jACjybbrakB4T3gL_34zTwu1kljApIo-FGDldbDAdYwvpkR-PUfGiQCkC-pd

Glorantha has talent, or at least that is the impression amongst our Wind Words podcast crew, and we thought, “why not bring this talent into the spotlight?”

So…. It’s time for a contest!

While our crack team of Mostali craftsmen build us an edifice to house your Gloranthan talent, and our Grey Beard sages argue the minutiae of the rules to judge the competition, and we select the judges with an eye to them being open-minded, unlike Yelm’s Court when Orlanth brought the raucous horn and the radical “new music” to "the contest” let us entice you with some details!

It is my great pleasure and honour (by the grace of silver-tongued Issares and the ever entertaining Orlanth) to bring you this announcement of overflowing Gloranthan Goodness.

Glorantha Has Talent?

Wind Words is audio, and so is our first contest. Okay, so think of an audio friendly entry and how to make it happen. Now you have an idea for an entry, what’s next?  What will you need? A computer, its recording software and a mic, maybe sound FX. found sounds, instruments and/or noisy  friends. We are looking for jokes, filk songs, poems... the standard audio things and beyooooond: Heortling boasts or greetings, myths and folktales told around a crackling fire—you can add crackling fire to your audio files, yes? Plan up to 3 minutes of audio, keep it PG 13, use your imagination, wrap it up all in Gloranthan goodness and push record.

We will accept almost any digital audio formatted entry (let’s say some of you are still operating on a a Wang computer, check with us to see is we can still listen to your file created on it) . Keep an eye here to BRP Central and an ear to our WInd Words’ podcast for more info and the rules in the coming weeks!

Contact us at tribe@windwords.fm or here for questions, help, hugs*, validation* or encouragement.
*Sorry no hugs or validation, Joerg is still open to smuggles

Glorantha, let’s see that talent!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 8
  • Haha 4

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

19 hours ago, Richard S. said:

I'd better see at least one of these things professionally recorded for someone's entry

You mean that our recording of Pelorian Rhapsody's introduction for Episode 4 of Wind Words doesn't qualify as "professionally recorded"? I'm HURT 😅😂

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

9 hours ago, Richard S. said:

I'd better see at least one of these things professionally recorded for someone's entry: http://etyries.albionsoft.com/etyries.com/songbook/index.html  :P

I've attached the 2012 edition of the Gloranthan Songbook to this post. Have fun!

Glorantha Songbook Continuum 2012 v1.00.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The Gloranthans Songbook is great.  I've had June Tabor singing "and the Band Played Dance of the Goddess" in my head the past day.  Curse you @Nick Brooke

I've got some other songs at http://gloranthagame.pbworks.com/w/page/135313113/Index

(Scroll down to "Songs related to the Saga").  Trust me, you don't want to hear me singing them...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/12/2020 at 7:58 AM, Nick Brooke said:

I've attached the 2012 edition of the Gloranthan Songbook to this post. Have fun!

Wow! Any one of those songs should be Legendary, and you have an opera's worth! I was humming on the metro and laughing... Fortunately behind a mask. 

So... Hombadaka Boko didn't make the final cut? Knees bend arm stretch ra ra ra!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Man, I wish I had any recording equipment and audio editing software - and, well, some time to record something. :P

You could also just write a joke, a poem, or a short myth, and share it with someone around here willing to record it with their voice!

• Thanks 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

8 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Man, I wish I had any recording equipment and audio editing software - and, well, some time to record something. :P

Hmm, for your time problem, I find a Tardis to be a great help!

8 hours ago, lordabdul said:

You could also just write a joke, a poem, or a short myth, and share it with someone around here willing to record it with their voice!

Ludo is correct, but note most phones will record, so tell a joke or a story, or a myth, write something and give it to a body with talent instruments millions of dollars worth of gear and... I am getting carried away again aren’t I?

8 hours ago, Nick Underwood said:

Come to think... There are recording studios where I work. If any French posters want an hours' studio time in Paris, let me know.

and of course... there  are people like Nick...

12 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

note most phones will record

Yes, true! Just use your phone's "memo recorder" app or whatever it is you have by default with the phone OS!  We can always add some nice reverb and audience clapping and laughter track and such in post-production!

We will announce soon a place where you can upload those files once you have them.

• Like 1

So folks, as you practice your chops and figure out how you want to record your opus we have not been idle and will have more news for you all relatively soon ( a couple of weeks at the most).

Happy creating

• 2 weeks later...

The youngster looked as if he were about to do as his mother had so often predicted he would one day, he looked on the verge of exploding. When his grandfather finally looked over to him  and nodded his permission to speak and handed his the sacred talking feather he had been rolling over in his gnarled and ancient talons for the longest of times, the boy did just that. Words exploded out of his at such a velocity the old man looked startled, eyes as wide and dark as cow patties (just like the trickster did the time that Waha... but that is another tale, In this tale the old man looked startled and then began to laugh and would not stop until the young lad began to beat him with the sacred feather. 

"Stop there grandchild, stop that, you will break the sacred talking feather and then we will never know who’s turn it is to speak.” Holding his sides in pain from the unexpected attack of mirth the old man took his own advice and settled into a serious and sober posture that the boy tried to emulate. 

“Grandpa, howwillIknowwhenIwillbetalentedenough...” he stopped and gulped...starting again he said, “how will I know when I will be talented enough to dance for the heart of my love in the contests?"

The only answer possible...”You will know!"

Pleadingly and a wavering voice very near to a sob, “But when will I know I can dance well enough, sing strongly enough, be good enough for to win my one heart’s love"

Hard like stone, again the answer...”You will know!”, but shortly after a softer voice continued... “by the signs and you will know these signs for they are,” and in a sing song voice he begins to list them:

The Wind will speak in Words you can hear...
The cows will BRP words you can read (and those words will sound like ... Glorantha Has Talent?
and of course you can always go to windwords.fm and see what we have there for you. Both spoken and written. 

The gods and goddesses work in very strange ways! And we are getting very excited as we come close to revealing rules and a guide for the participants... heck some might say we are getting loopy, nay punch drunk. So watch and listen for the signs, here or at our Website or on this month’s Wind Words Podcast.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Baaaa dummmm............ Baaaa dummmm............ 
Baa dumm, Baa dumm.....
Baa dumm, Baa dumm, Baa dumm, Baa dumm...

—Hummed to the tune of the theme music for a certain shark movie....

Glorantha Has Talent?

May Orlanth toss those that profane these rules from his cloud

May Vaneekara cast those offending souls into the maw of oblivion

Worse yet, may Eurmal detune these curs' lyres at the worst possible moment

Should malfeasance be their goal!

The Contest Rules

Entries have to be follow these constraints (Judges might tend to leniency)

• Audio-media must be sent to “our dropbox in the clouds” in most modern audio formats

• No more than 3 minutes in length.

• In good taste and PG 13.

• Must allow us publishing rights for the Podcast and Web-Site for the duration of the contest. Further rights may be negotiated.

• Entries will be received until the 21st of September, midnight, PDT (later at the judges discretion, only).

Judging

• First vetting done by Podcast Crew

• Those that make the cut go onto the  judges for the finals, Each judge gets three votes to distribute as he or she sees fit and may divide these in any way they choose or give all three to one entry. We will cull half the entries at this time to those with the most votes. Ties will be decided by Bill, Jörg and Ludo as above (3 votes, etc).

• And then for those who advance, three then will be chosen to be our Prince of Entertainment, our Chieftain of Mirth and our Thane of Good Humour (first, second and third).

• In disputes or disagreements, Ludo, Bill, and Joerg’s joint decision will be final!

Who may not enter

• The podcast hosts and the podcast crew, judges, and those who have given prizes for the contest Glorantha Has Talent?, AND their families.

Guide for the Judges

Use

1. entertainment
2. Gloranthaness
3. production values

as your guides. And then add in your own values. Be ready to defend these on air.

Principles

Ludo’s note about is a great guide but we do have a few more principles we would like to use. They are briefly noted below.

• Fun

• Fairness

• Simplicity

• Nice Judging

• Glorantha-ness

• Like 1

Guide for Participants

image.thumb.png.9295b16756677c33fb4ba3a90b156a7a.png

Glorantha Has Talent? is a contest running on our Wind Words podcast until Late September/Early October or to put it another way, until our 8th episode). We will receive entries until the 21st of September, midnight PDT (later at the judges discretion, only).  We are looking for short (no more than 3 minutes) audio files with Gloranthan content that are entertaining, evocative, and that sound nice (or at least memorable), ideally all at the same time.

Things we would like to hear include, but are not limited to: jokes, short oral myths, filk songs, or more nerdy stuff that could help a player get into character… like traditional Gloranthan greetings, Heortling boasts, a memorable gaming scene reenactment, or similar stuff you may have done for your gaming table’s entertainment. Surprise us, the judges and our audience with yet more ideas brimming with Gloranthan Goodness!

Let’s keep it all in the spirit  of maximum game fun, so treat the judges and their decision with respect as well as your fellow contestants. 

We will funnel your works on to our judges after a quick vetting. The judges will cull the entries down to our finalists and then will vote on our Prince, Chieftain, and Thane (first, second and third prize). Please note that the above Sartarite titles are unisex.

Your contribution may be made public (in MP3 format) on windwords.fm where it will be on display for all to hear, in its full glory. Beyond this use of your recordings to benefit our website and podcasts, the copyright on the entries remains with the content creators. The content creators can reserve the right to withdraw an entry from publication at any time, removing it also from “Glorantha Has Talent?”. 

To be considered a victor we will need the rights to your work for the duration of the contest guaranteed (including for advertising, posting, and then possible broadcasting). Future rights remain with the copyright holder and must be renegotiated for further use.

Copyright held by third parties will hold sway.

Let‘s take the assumption that you happen to do a beautiful rendering of Boris Mikey‘s filk song “The Day the Flame Died Down” to the melody of Don McLean’s “American Pie”, possibly with the slight re-arrangement to fit the words better to the melody by Nick Brooke. Any of the people listed here plus the performers receive the right to demand a withdrawal of the recording from publication. If necessary leave it to us to edit an already broadcasted episode of Wind Words if we need to remove copyrighted material.

In order to avoid such bummers, the less material copyrighted by third parties you use, the less chance of losing that work.

The judges will talk about your submissions, and possibly why they chose them. Bear in mind we don’t bite, They will treat your quirky pieces, badly thought out ideas that come to naught, or half page of scribbled lines with care and sensitivity, be assured.

Record your entry digitally, somehow—everybody reading this has a cell-phone or a computer capable of recording sound. Good sound quality will be a quality of its own, but content and ideas will balance that and bear in mind lo-fi is a thing that  might be used to your advantage. 

Upload your sound file from your device memory either as an e-mail attachment to tribe@windords.fm or upload it to https://www.dropbox.com/request/aORt2e9DPOg7RqEHnput. The Wind Words team will take it from there. If you want to add some corroborative material (a photo or video of you performing, a cover image, a transcript, sheet music, an animation), feel free to do so. It may sway the judges, but remember that the presentation of your entry is on an audio only format.

Edited by Joerg
attribution of the image
  • Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 8/9/2020 at 5:14 PM, Joerg said:

Let‘s take the assumption that you happen to do a beautiful rendering of Boris Mikey‘s filk song “The Day the Flame Died Down” to the melody of Don McLean’s “American Pie”, possibly with the slight re-arrangement to fit the words better to the melody by Nick Brooke. Any of the people listed here plus the performers receive the right to demand a withdrawal of the recording from publication. If necessary leave it to us to edit an already broadcasted episode of Wind Words if we need to remove copyrighted material.

In order to avoid such bummers, the less material copyrighted by third parties you use, the less chance of losing that work.

I have no objection to anybody entering any filk songs from my Gloranthan Songbook: if anyone wants help contacting a song's original perpetrator, let me know. (Other than the late, great Boris Mikey: sadly you would need a Daka Fal shaman, Ty Kora Tek priestess, Vivamort cultist or similar to reach him nowadays)

That said, if you can sing The Day the Fire Died in just three minutes, only dogs and bats will ever be able to hear it...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

That said, if you can sing The Day the Fire Died in just three minutes, only dogs and bats will ever be able to hear it...

Ah but a) would it summon dogs and bats, and b) considering you are the source of this info, could you be a little more accurate in your description of said bat... i.e. the colour specifically?

The Booty!

Chaosium, Nick Brooke, and Austin Conrad of Akhelas have graciously donated the following wonderful PDFs of their works as prizes and in the case of Austin and Nick they have said they will specially mod the PDFs for the contest. These publishers have been at this for a while so I will let them describe their treasures in their own way! Mind you I have been working with Austin on his great collection for 3/4 of a year, so I am honoured to put in a bit of a kind word for our prolific genius and his oeuvre. Now in alphabetical order:

A Rough Guide to Glamour

image-22.png

A Rough Guide to Glamourr
By Nick Brooke, Chris Gidlow, Michael Hagen and friends

“One of our great prizes is a unique digital edition of A Rough Guide to Glamour, the Jonstown Compendium’s first Gold best selling title. It’s your indispensable tourist guide to the capital city of the Lunar Empire, and much more besides, including a city map and gazetteer, two RuneQuest cult write-ups, history, art, fiction, poetry and more.”

Monsters of the Month – January to August!

image-23.png

That’s right! Eight months worth of terror, wonder, awe and cuddly cuteness—all at once.

Austin Conrad has offered the first 8 issues of his wonderful series, Monster of the Month as his treasure to be chosen to by our worthiest and the wisest competitor! He says that those who chose his treasure will also get a special memento from him! Hmm!

His cute, horrible, and awesome pets, all created from his fevered imagination, are in order of appearance:

1. Spirits Of Madness
  2. Geiron Lord Of Elephants
  3. Night Of The QuackIng Dead
  4. Hunters of the Sky
  5. Heortlings of Sartar
  6. Dolorous Edd
  7. Petty Spirits
  8. And a yet to be written 8th issue, I can’t wait!This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image-19.png

The Pegasus Plateau & Other Stories

image-27.png

Authors divers and varied
From Chaosium

Seven ready-to-play adventures for RuneQuest!

“Set in the mythic fantasy world of Glorantha, The Pegasus Plateau & Other Storiesfeatures seven complete ready-to-play adventures, taking you from ghoul-haunted catacombs, into mystic ruins, across the arid deserts of Prax, and up to the rocky pinnacle of the Pegasus Plateau!

“Additionally, The Locaem is a new tribe for use by gamemasters and players, and the lonely village of Renekot’s Hope, perched between the Lunar Empire and its enemies in Sartar, provide refuge… or a springboard for adventure!”

The Smoking Ruin & Other Stories

The Smoking Ruin & Other Stories

Authors divers and varied
From 
Chaosium

The Smoking Ruin & Other Stories contains ready-to-play adventures for RuneQuest, taking adventurers across the untamed South Wilds, a region filled with reclusive villagers, ancient ruins, beast folk, troll spirits, undead, wolf-brothers, dinosaurs, monstrous mercenary companies, living trees, surly river spirits, and worse!

“The book also offers a closer look at some significant locations in the South Wilds, and some more adventures – there’s the Wild Temple, a massive open air holy site, the Lost Valley which offers an interesting little community, and the adventures Urvantan’s Tower in which the fate of the Lost Valley relies on quick action from the player characters and Grove of Green Rock, in which the player characters can get hired to help a massive elven project to establish a new sacred grove in Dragon Pass.”

So we look forward to hearing your entries and giving you your choice of these great prizes. Record your work of art, and enter soon!

Cheers

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

From a conversation in a PM of the Judges and Hosts

Nick, you are our expert in filking*.

I had a bit of a conversation with an individual in PM that really should be taking place in public. He asked if he could sample the music to a song and I said no due to copyright so he's wondering if he can not use copyright material for the beats why he can use a parody or filk of the song. Do you have an easy way to explain this that we can use to do this nicely. We might end up getting a few more entries if this was cleared up.

So, most importantly we must not break copyright law. If you will be monetizing your recordings see the rules above, where we acknowledge all existing copyright and we (Wind Words) are not monetizing this contest. My thought is that as long as there are substantial changes to lyrics to reflect Glorantha and the intent is obvious to be filking the song with no use of original performances we are okay. 

• So @Nick Brooke, do you wish to post that great answer of yours or should I just cut and paste it into a post or just summarize it? Your choice. 
  • Bear with us question asker and we will have a lovely answer for you soon
  • Oh, and all contestants,  you have 18 days to get us your entry..

He did question my sanity when I called him an expert and wondered what I was talking about....Many others have done so long before that!

• Like 1

My specific question is this.  Lets say somebody sings a wonderful version of Pelorian Rhapsody, not sampling any Queen.  Or perhaps my take on Someday Soon.  It is still obviously a use of a copyrighted melody, and some of the words.  Is that acceptable?  Or do we need to go all Francis Child / Steeleye Span and find older tunes to Gloranthify?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

My specific question is this.  Lets say somebody sings a wonderful version of Pelorian Rhapsody, not sampling any Queen.  Or perhaps my take on Someday Soon.  It is still obviously a use of a copyrighted melody, and some of the words.  Is that acceptable?  Or do we need to go all Francis Child / Steeleye Span and find older tunes to Gloranthify?

I think you’ll be fine. It’s not a cover version if the lyrics are significantly changed, and it’s not as if you’re about to monetise it.

NB: I’m not sure why Bill thinks I’m an expert: I used to sing songs at conventions. I don't make recordings and broadcast them over the intertubes or anything. But he asked me to prognosticate, so here are my non-lawyerly interpretations of the do’s and dont’s of filking. I’m not a lawyer. Pay for legal advice if that’s what you’re after.

“Can I sample music?” No. This is not a secret, we've all seen news stories about musicians who use samples without permission ending up in court. If you’re taking someone else’s recorded music and using it as part of your competition entry, Wind Words can’t include it in the podcast, so it won’t win. I would also advise against using e.g. Karaoke backing tracks, same reason.

“Can I change the words of a song so it’s a parody, then record myself singing it?” Yes. Once you change the lyrics significantly, it's no longer a cover version, and parody is generally protected. Please let us know what your song is based on (e.g. title and performer). 

“This song always makes me think of Glorantha...” Hmm. If no words or music are changed, it's probably a straight cover version, which is legal (and you don't need permission) but if you get many thousands of listeners and some rights-holder gets interested you might need to pay a mechanical license (about $10 per hundred listeners). So I'd suggest making it a Gloranthan parody to stay safe, and asking Wind Words how many people listen to each episode of the podcast if you’re nervous.

“I’m planning to market my Gloranthan music and make money by having many thousands of people listen to it.” Fascinating. Get a lawyer who knows the music industry to advise you re: cover versions and the like. This blog post is moderately encouraging, though mostly irrelevant: https://flypaper.soundfly.com/hustle/how-to-legally-cover-a-song

The point is that Wind Words wants original performances by the people who enter the contest. If you’re including any performance elements by someone else (music, song, spoken word, whatever), make sure you have the rights. And if you're modifying someone else's lyrics, you should be fine.

I am not a lawyer; I am not a music industry lawyer. There is no money in persecuting Glorantha fans for having fun making music. Bear that in mind.

Anyway, here’s my rock choir’s SoundCloud. I'm particularly fond of our "Ghost Riders" & "Hooked on a Feeling," but the mash-up at the end is fun, too.

Cheers, Nick
Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Thanks 1