Building Gringles

D

i thought that once i built it, poor old Quackjohn must be forever refilling the lamps. the book describes the lighting as covered lanterns, I plan to redo the lighting when I find a better looking lantern. The stairs to the second floor in the middle, they are just visible in the last few seconds of the video.

Edited by D
clarity
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 1:12 AM, Sir_Godspeed said:

Wow, that's a lot of rooms!

I also thought the same, even though I've run this dozens of times 🙂

711214875_Screenshot2020-07-21at15_46_08.png.78049b2fe580a1eb5ccfbe2e53bcf200.pngBut yes.

However, once it's on fire that won't matter...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 7/19/2020 at 4:38 AM, D said:

I recently started playing around with unreal engine and decided to have a go at building Gringles Pawn shop. I thought I'd share what I've done so far and so I recorded a short video and posted to youtube, here's a link if anyone is interested.

Oh my, thank you sir for a great way to show this to the players when playing the original!

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

5 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Oh my, thank you sir for a great way to show this to the players when playing the original!

you're welcome, I'm glad someone else will have a use for it. Once I start furnishing it, I'll do static, cctv like, shots of those rooms. it probably won't be this weekend as I'm going to try to get it running on my vr headset.

20 hours ago, D said:

has anyone got any thoughts on what sort of cooking device Gringle will use?

Clay pot in fire / on fire pit was common, there are bronze tripod pots that sat in the fire with their own legs. Smaller (lighter) pots could be hung over a fire. Meat on a stick was likely an option. An oven (earth or otherwise) would be outdoors.

21 hours ago, D said:

I was thinking of a brick wood fired stove/

Stoves are late Bronze age (if at all). They seemed to be little more that better organised fire pits that contained the fire a bit better, or had a shelf with a hole to support a pot. Lack of chimneys meant rooms were smoke filled (still a problem today).

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

59 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Clay pot in fire / on fire pit was common, there are bronze tripod pots that sat in the fire with their own legs. Smaller (lighter) pots could be hung over a fire. Meat on a stick was likely an option. An oven (earth or otherwise) would be outdoors.

Stoves are late Bronze age (if at all). They seemed to be little more that better organised fire pits that contained the fire a bit better, or had a shelf with a hole to support a pot. Lack of chimneys meant rooms were smoke filled (still a problem today).

thank you.

Gringles has a chimney, which made me wonder if he had access to a cooker of some kind.

2 hours ago, D said:

Gringles has a chimney

I'd forgotten about that. I looked back at the map and text. I think the reason I had not noticed it was that it doesn't appear on the (most important) roof map.

HeroQuest Voices says

Have you seen the things called chimneys which those rich people built in Apple Lane?

Maybe you’ll be rich enough to have a chimney built.

I've always imagined something like a Kamado (not the grill): https://www.japanvisitor.com/images/content_images/kodairafurusato5.jpg

• Like 1

-----

Chimneys are going to be "ahistorical" even if we consider the third age Gloranthans to be living in an era more akin to the Hellenistic times than Bronze Age. However, ultimately, Glorantha is not the RW so... I guess chimneys exist, are kinda newfangled, and only available to the wealthy. Sounds workable, imho.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, David Scott said:

Always loved Thunder Rebels use of bags of wind that the grandmothers would wield every morning to chase away smoke from the cooking fires, miasma, bad airs and odours and to bring in the their free friends. the fresh breezes! Truly a great way to wake up in a communal stead.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 7/28/2020 at 8:40 AM, D said:

has anyone got any thoughts on what sort of cooking device Gringle will use? I was thinking of a brick wood fired stove/

https://youtu.be/n6FK09iAFmQ

At most a  raised hearth to cook on.  Which is more comfortable than stooping down for campfire cooking.  And a wide hearth gives you a chance to put pots down near the fire, rather than just on the fire, and allows some prep area.

Yeah the original Gringle's sketch was more a dungeon than a workable living and commercial space. 

• Like 2

i like the idea of a raised hearth, though not too high because of Quack John. maybe a bronze rod embedded width ways across the chimney as a hanging bar for pots so it's easy to change how hot the pot gets.

If you export the model as a GLB file you could set up a web page containing your model which you could interact with.

I'm in the middle of building a 3D chess game, the models were built on Blender but the website uses three.js to display the model using webgl - the three.js libraries let you move the chess pieces around, or move your viewpoint around the board to see the board from different angles.  

https://chess.desirableapps.com

The game is incomplete, it is not ready for launch yet, but if you create an account you can see how the three.js technology works, move a few pieces around, use the mouse or mobile device touch screen to rotate the board, zoom in, whatever you want.

image.thumb.png.185949a8f27b54700d6be0d0111f4f7a.png

Edited by EricW
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, EricW said:

If you export the model as a GLB file you could set up a web page containing your model which you could interact with.

I'm in the middle of building a 3D chess game, the models were built on Blender but the website uses three.js to display the model using webgl - the three.js libraries let you move the chess pieces around, or move your viewpoint around the board to see the board from different angles.  

https://chess.desirableapps.com

The game is incomplete, it is not ready for launch yet, but if you create an account you can see how the three.js technology works, move a few pieces around, use the mouse or mobile device touch screen to rotate the board, zoom in, whatever you want.

image.thumb.png.185949a8f27b54700d6be0d0111f4f7a.png

i'll have a look in to that, thank you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

That adds a lot of atmosphere. 

I'm getting Morrowind vibes, somehow. The gamer in me wants to loot all that stuff. XD

thank you.

hopefully it'll look even better when I've worked out how to make working doors, lamps and fire.

2 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

heretical Lunar pumpkin sighted

real Orlanthi eat turnips and like it, not New World foods like "chiles", "potatoes", "maize", and "pumpkin"

I thought that Pumpkins were created by Flamal and one of the minor Goddesses. 

One day, Eurmal was bored, so he wandered through Aldrya's Forests and came across a giant, bloated orange mass that was sucking the energy from the forest and growing bigger and bigger. Immediately spotting it an dangerous, he did was any self-respecting god would do and took out his trusty dagger, that he kept hidden from Humakt, and started to cut away at the great beast. He cut and cut until he was satisfied that it was no longer a danger, for now it had two eyes, a nose and a smiling mouth, so could not be a threat. as he walked away, the pumpkin called out to him not to go, for it wanted a friend. laughing, Eurmal went further away and the pumpkin called again, but more insistent this time. Drowned out by Eurmal's laughter, it called a third time, even more insistently, as Eurmal disappeared. However, other creatures heard its call and came to see it and be its friend. They weren't its friends, though, as they were not Eurmal. as they got closer, the beast realised that now it had a mouth it could sate its hunger a different way and gobbled them up. Since then, Hungry Jack has attracted those foolish enough to stray near to its lair.

As it got bigger and bigger, Jack realised that it just had too much of itself within itself, so strained and strained until part of it burst, throwing small chunks out into the Forest. This took root and grew, becoming smaller versions of itself, called Jacklings. They also attracted people, as they were as lonely as their father. Eurmal wandered past and saw the Jacklings. Intrigued, he moved closer and recognised what they were. "Ah, aren't you cute?" he said to one of them, "Not like that bloated thing you call a father. I'd like to be your friend, but we can't stay here", so he took one of them and pulled it up, he pulled and pulled until its straggly roots came free with it. He put it under his arm and wandered off, but soon found that it was heavy and not great company. He put it down and scolded it, "Look, of you want to be my friend, you have to walk with me" and it got up on its roots and started to walk. Happier, he walked out of the Forest and happened upon one of the Dark Men who had recently appeared. The Dark Man rushed towards him and Eurmal cowered, until his friend roared and rushed the Dark Man, shocking it into stillness. "Wow, you were so scary, you looked like a bear", Eurmal said, "so that's what you are, a Jackling Bear", but that sounded odd, so he shortened it to Jack o'Bear. Eventually, he lost interested in his Jack o'Bear and they parted ways.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

real Orlanthi eat turnips and like it, not New World foods like "chiles", "potatoes", "maize", and "pumpkin"

I mean, they have tobacco in Safelster, maize and raccoons in Peloria, American elk in Maniria, cacti(?), llama and bison in Prax and probably lots of other Americana I've missed.

That being said, turnip is good eating.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed

5 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I mean, they have tobacco in Safelster, maize and raccoons in Peloria, American elk in Maniria, cacti(?), llama and bison in Prax and probably lots of other Americana I've missed.

That being said, turnip is good eating.

Maize came with Hon Eel in 1492 (check the date, niceeee), this is actually a plot point

Bison are Asian and, like llamas, are genetically nearly identical to their Eurasian counterpart, the yak and the camel; I'm fine with that

Cactuses are 100% not New World species

I always thought the raccoon was a one-off

What's this about tobacco in Safelster? I know hazia, but that's high-fantasy opium