Building Gringles

D

1 hour ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Maize came with Hon Eel in 1492 (check the date, niceeee), this is actually a plot point

Bison are Asian and, like llamas, are genetically nearly identical to their Eurasian counterpart, the yak and the camel; I'm fine with that

Cactuses are 100% not New World species

I always thought the raccoon was a one-off

What's this about tobacco in Safelster? I know hazia, but that's high-fantasy opium

I really don't want to get bogged down in tearing apart minutiae, but I think it's contextually likely that the Praxian Bison is referring to the American bison and not the European wisent or Indian gaur (because... well, why would they?). And it's the high *llama*, c'mon. As for cacti, there is only a single frikkin species of cactus outside of the America: R. baccifera. It's pretty clearly an American influence in pop culture: "deserts have cactuses, right? Big, tall, coat-stand-like cacti?". It's like how Glorantha's elk refers to a variant of the wapiti (technically present in East Asia, but probably more familiar to a North American due to it existing in North America), and not A. alces (aka. moose. aka some variation of "elk" in many European languages).

Put bluntly, to me, this all pretty clearly compounds to that Greg never really made any absolute differentiation of Eurasian and American flora and fauna when it came to Glorantha, so he kinda just put in whatever he thought was neat. Which is fine. Glorantha isn't Earth.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 2

slightly further in this vein, does anyone know where potatoes come from/are widely cultivated in Glorantha?  It came up in-session this weekend, and I just sort of assumed that tubers were a set of children Aldrya had with Lodril, so they probably come from Peloria. and of course potatoes of all kinds are up there with maize as quintessential Western Hemisphere produce, specifically the Andes Mountains.

8 hours ago, dumuzid said:

slightly further in this vein, does anyone know where potatoes come from/are widely cultivated in Glorantha?  It came up in-session this weekend, and I just sort of assumed that tubers were a set of children Aldrya had with Lodril, so they probably come from Peloria. and of course potatoes of all kinds are up there with maize as quintessential Western Hemisphere produce, specifically the Andes Mountains.

I curiously couldn't find it by searching, but I'm pretty sure that Jeff or someone else in Chaosium stated that potato does not occur in Genertela, at least. This was either in a response to whether Lunar missionaries use potato cakes instead of maize cakes in Prax(?), or in response to what the different land/grain goddesses were associated with or something like that. 

Which I have to admit I'm a bit bummed out by. Taters are precious. :P 

Tentative headcanon: potatoes and other tubers are the crop of Genert himself. Ressurrecting Genert will spawn many patches of potato all along the Eastern Rockwoods.

Alternative: Potatoes are cultivated by the Dwarves of the Pamaltelan mountains, as part of their vegetarian heresy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Yep, kafl leaf as it is called.  Good picture of a Ralian smoking his kalf leaf-filled pipe in the Guide.  And a prime trade item along the Manirian Road to Nochet.

maybe pumpkins grow from the seeds in the brains of decapitated jack'o'bears, and someone desperate discovered they taste good?

i thought kafl was cannabis, i'm a linguist and the name seemed obviously derived from the KANB~KALB root borrowed into Indo-European that brought us English hemp from Common Germanic *hanapi-z, Greek kánnabis, Persian kanab, Akkadian qunnapu, and even the Indic forms reversed to BANG by taboo: Sanskrit bhāṅga "cannabis", loaned as "bong", Persian bang "cannabis"

15 hours ago, dumuzid said:

My view is that New World plants are from the Red Goddess, which suggests she is bringing new plants as part of her Earth Goddess half, change inspired by her ferment in a Chaos Hell. Doesn't make them Chaos plants, but the new ideas are coming from that combination of Storm and Earth + Chaos Hell time.

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 2

I kind of assumed that since hazia is described as a classical hallucinogenic/euphoric in effects and not as a dissociative/depressant hallucinogen, that it was cannabis or Fantasy Cannabis Equivalent. Of course, maybe it's not worth digging too deeply into narcotics in Glorantha given "black lotus dust". 

• Like 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

2 minutes ago, Eff said:

I kind of assumed that since hazia is described as a classical hallucinogenic/euphoric in effects and not as a dissociative/depressant hallucinogen, that it was cannabis or Fantasy Cannabis Equivalent. Of course, maybe it's not worth digging too deeply into narcotics in Glorantha given "black lotus dust". 

the eastern coastline of Genertela? never heard of it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

the eastern coastline of Genertela? never heard of it

Hah! Of course, that being said, maybe there's room for a brief Jonstown Compendium book on "Here's the kind of drugs that are appropriate for antiquity, and here's where you might find them in the setting"... 

• Thanks 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

2 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I want the Orlanthi to drink soma during their religious rituals.

I always connected it more to Yelm or better still Dayzatar, Hymn 48 in the Rig Veda, goes on about "we have attained the light" and "Make me shine bright like fire".

I've always though the Mead of Suttungr from Skáldskaparmál was a better drink for Orlanthi ceremonies - Drink and fly off: 

The mead which forth
From Surtr's sunk dales
The Strong-through-spells
Swift-flying bore.

and then loads of epic poetry and boasting, clearly related to the blood beer of Babeester Gor.

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

7 minutes ago, David Scott said:

I always connected it more  Yelm or better still Dayzatar, Hymn 48 in the Rig Veda, goes on about "we have attained the light" and "Make me shine bright like fire".

I've always though the Mead of Suttungr from Skáldskaparmál was a better drink for Orlanthi ceremonies - Drink and fly off: 

The mead which forth
From Surtr's sunk dales
The Strong-through-spells
Swift-flying bore.

and then loads of epic poetry and boasting, clearly related to the blood beer of Babeester Gor.

I totally get you (in fact, I was about to write "mead-soma"), but those rituals the Vedas talk a lot about, to my knowledge, were cattle sacrifices, which just feels so gosh darn Orlanthi.

As I haven't found any description of the basement, I've made it a cross between a store room and a bunker. I've yet to furnish it, but I thought I would post a picture of what it looks like so far. It's above ground at the moment as it's a lot easier to work on.

basement.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've expanded the area I'm building to include Apple Lane, I've only got three buildings to go plus trees and landscaping, maybe some livestock.

https://youtu.be/HBeIrl7BdWk

if anyone wants to see inside any of the new buildings let me know and I'll film them

• Like 1

The earliest reference I know of to hazia is 1972 The Farthest Shore,  in which the Wizard Ged sets off on a dangerous quest to discover who has broken the world and fix the damage.

The people who should have been leaders, artists, poets were killing themselves with hazia because they were being driven crazy by the breach.

The hazia in that story sounds like opium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/17/2020 at 11:54 AM, Qizilbashwoman said:

maybe pumpkins grow from the seeds in the brains of decapitated jack'o'bears, and someone desperate discovered they taste good?

o think this is desperate, how about the first (lucky) person to eat lobster?

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

While I don't think that you don't boil a lobster accidentally, doing so with shrimps while evaporating salt water seems likely. From there to lobsters it is only a small transfer of knowledge.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, D said:

for those of you who don't use facebook, here's a link to my latest view of Apple Lane.

Looks good, for 50 years old, it's very clean and bright. 🙂 

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

44 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Is this Gringle Era Apple Lane? I think I recognized Piku's tent-like home.

yes it is, I've used the map in the RQ2 version for the layout and scale, and the picture from the Gamesmaster adventures for inspiration for its appearance.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Also, remember that people limed the living heck out of their buildings to keep the villains off it (bugs, rodents) and to keep it beautiful.

it's going to be gentle weathering, mud splashes around the bottom of the doors, soot stains on the top of the chimneys. Possibly soot stains above windows and doors on the buildings without chimneys, I'm not sure as the only house without chimneys I can think of have thatched roofs and the smoke seeps through it, but all of Apple lanes houses have tiled roofs.