First product to be released using the Basic Roleplaying Open Game License

MOB

22 hours ago, seneschal said:

Reviews?

Just getting into it so I'll post more later.

At a glance a lot of the artwork reminds me of old school Middle Earth or Rolemaster art, which I'm a fan of. The author did take up a lot of page space with art. I assume to increase page count. 

So far it seems pretty detailed compared to a lot of home brew worlds I've seen. 

Gonna tear into the mechanics in a bit

Ok like I said a lot of work went into details of the world, but nothing crazy like my Tindale town. (Yes thats probably too much detail)

Like Magic Worlds Southern Reaches the author leaves enough empty that the chronicler can have some unscripted fun. 

I was surprised he kept the BRP Damage Bonus table but thats a debated personal preference. 

Reading on

The races are interesting. I can see a lot of fun coming from the RP involved in them.

I also see some of Classic Fantasy or D&D mixed into the mechanics with special abilities and skill addition/changes. Not bad.

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 2

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Couple of other things that I think are welcome additions. There's a page that talks about creating permanent magic objects and they integrated a cantrip system with their magic system. The have a basic alchemy system and an herbalism system. They've got a bestiary and an NPC section

The setting has two basic magic types that I can see. Arcanists and Hedge Wizards. Say something about divine magic but didn't track it down.

Setting is about 30 pages long. The rest of the book is mechanics.

All an all a good deal for $8.

• Like 2

70/420

10 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

I was surprised he kept the BRP Damage Bonus table but thats a debated personal preference. 

Why is this surprising?

Speaking of mechanics:

- Are skill modifiers/categories are used - My guess, no

- Action order using DEX or Strike Ranks - My guess, DEX

... and I was about this list a few more things but then realised it might be easier if I simply asked in what way this product deviated/added/substracted from the BRP SRD (mechanically).

Edited by DreadDomain

7 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

- Are skill modifiers/categories are used - My guess, no

- Action order using DEX or Strike Ranks - My guess, DEX

No stat modifiers, yes Dex rank. It's along the lines of the Elric!/Magic World flavor of BRP, which is the one I actually prefer.

• Thanks 1

70/420

11 hours ago, Sid Vicarious said:

Page 81

"There are published adventures for Toxandria available."

What, and where?

I can't seem to find one. Maybe they plan to put one out soon and so wanted to put a generic plug in their book?

70/420

13 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

Why is this surprising?

I always thought the jumps from 1d6 to 2d6 and on were a bit extreme. There are some better (IMO) alternative DB charts

• Thanks 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

13 hours ago, Jeff said:

I have always been fine with the jump to 1D6 to 2D6 etc. 

Oh, there is nothing wrong with the table as is and most of the time I have been using it as is. Generally, I simply prefer a bit more granularity at least in the player character range (In the current table Bob (STR 12, SIZ 13) and Boris (STR 19, SIZ 13) both have a +1d4 damage bonus even if Boris is massively stronger than Bob). A progression I like is simply to break-up the current ranges in smaller sizes. e.g. so using steps of 4 instead of 8 in the playable range:

25-28 - +1d2

29-32 - +1d4

33-36 - +1d6

37-40 - +1d8

41-44 - +1d10

45-56 - +2d6

each +16 - and additional +1d6 

• Like 1