Fioracitta - Coming Soon...

lawrence.whitaker

Fioracitta hard cover proof arrived today, and looks magnificent. This will be on sale in POD and PDF pretty soon, in both hard and soft covers.

Watch this space - or better still, our Newsletter (http://thedesignmechanism.com/Design-Mechanics-Newsletter.php) - for more details.

IMG_20200916_150337.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

On 9/17/2020 at 3:48 AM, Alex Greene said:

I'll have to start coming here regularly once it comes out, to field questions.

Do we have to wait 'til it's out, to pitch questions?
I've already got several queued up... 😁   

I'd be happy to give you the chance to get the softball questions out of the way early!   😇

C'es ne pas un .sig

6 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

Fire away! 

COOL!  (& tyvm)

1.  I presume this is a sourcebook / setting-book.  Does it have included adventures, or a campaign?  Or is it strictly a "sandbox," without any "adventures" as such?

2.  Does Fioracitta need Mythras (or Mythras Imperative), or is it standalone / all-in-one (and if standalone, is its basis Mythras or MI)?

3.  Does it introduce substantive new subsystems (e.g. like Luther Arkwright does), or is it mostly as per the core rulebook?
3a. Would any "generic" Mythras-core character with a "renaissancey" vibe be viable (if maybe a bit bland) in the city?  Or are some such unsuitable?

I've had this persistent notion, since hearing of this, that placing Fioracitta and Mythic Constantinople into a "RIval Cities" campaign could be all sorts of awesome; does either one have content that would need to be nerfed or buffed to prevent one side from having a killer advantage?

I'm sure I'll think of others (I'm also sure other users will think of more questions, too (tho maybe on TDM's tapatalk, which I don't much use)).

Edited by g33k
typo
  • Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Many of these questions are answered very eloquently by the author himself in ep.1.3 of the Mythras Matters podcast, but a few short answers in each question...

1.  I presume this is a sourcebook / setting-book.  Does it have included adventures, or a campaign?  Or is it strictly a "sandbox," without any "adventures" as such?

Correct. It's a setting book. There is no scenario included, although there are loads of scenario ideas scattered throughout. A scenario is in the works, and will be published separately.

2.  Does Fioracitta need Mythras (or Mythras Imperative), or is it standalone / all-in-one (and if standalone, is its basis Mythras or MI)?

Mythras core works best. At a push you can get by with Imperative, but the magic systems rely heavily on the core rules.

3.  Does it introduce substantive new subsystems (e.g. like Luther Arkwright does), or is it mostly as per the core rulebook?

No. There are some additional rules for building factions and temples within the city, but it focuses more on the character and atmosphere of Fioracitta than introducing new sub-systems.

3a. Would any "generic" Mythras-core character with a "renaissancey" vibe be viable (if maybe a bit bland) in the city?  Or are some such unsuitable?

That would depend on how the GM sets things up.

I've had this persistent notion, since hearing of this, that placing Fioracitta and Mythic Constantinople into a "RIval Cities" campaign could be all sorts of awesome; does either one have content that would need to be nerfed or buffed to prevent one side from having a killer advantage?

They occupy a very similar milieu, and work certainly work well together. Fioracitta is more magic-rich, but there's no reason why the two cannot blend together.

I'm sure I'll think of others (I'm also sure other users will think of more questions, too (tho maybe on TDM's tapatalk, which I don't much use)).

No doubt Alex will be along to add even more meat to my answers above.

• Thanks 2

Hi. What Loz said, plus ...

1.  I presume this is a sourcebook / setting-book.  Does it have included adventures, or a campaign?  Or is it strictly a "sandbox," without any "adventures" as such? There's a scenario being written. It'll come out down the line, and I'm hoping it'll be as well-received as the sourcebook itself.

2.  Does Fioracitta need Mythras (or Mythras Imperative), or is it standalone / all-in-one (and if standalone, is its basis Mythras or MI)? The magic rules are likely to require Mythras - but if you only have MI, your characters could get by with the more limited magic rules.

As Loz said. You really just need this book plus either Mythras or MI to enjoy a complete game. Your characters can get by without magic, even if the city is magic-rich. There are plenty of opportunities for adventure, even if your character only knows one or two of the MI Folk Magic cantrips, or no magic at all.

Answering both the last question and the next para: Fioracitta welcomes visitors from all sorts of places ... even more, if you bring along something interesting to trade.

Edited by Alex Greene
Edited a para.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Author of Fioracitta for Mythras and the 2d6 SFRPG setting of Castrobancla.

Some of you may have subscribed to the newsletter, and so you'll have had the link to order the hardcover.

Fioracitta is now in the wild.

Those of you who wanted to know about compatibility with the Mythic Earth books, this is what the book has to say.

Fioracitta would work well with any Mythic Earth setting or Thennla, as those are fairly close in technological and social development and would require the least amount of adjustments.

So it's official. Yes, you can have both Fioracitta and Mythic Constantinople together, if you like. You shall go to the ball.

• Like 1

Addendum: I finally have the newsletter blurb myself, and it confirms:-

The city and its region are lovingly presented, and it can easily be used alongside Mythic Constantinople, Thennla, or even as a parallel for Luther Arkwright.

So there you go. Hopefully, the public launch date will be soon. Or you can subscribe to the newsletter, contact TDM, and get them to send you the latest one. Recommended, if you want to secure your copies ahead of the public launch date.

Hope you enjoy.

• Like 1

I didn't have a chance yet to do more than give the pdf a scroll-through, but I am already impressed by how well-organzied the material for further elaboration of the setting by the group seems to be: There's table to generate historical events and historical people - I think it's the first time that I've seen something like that in an RPG. Given that ancestor spirits seem to be a major thing in the setting, it especially seems to make sense to have the latter.

Oh, and a table for criminal penalties; who couldn't love that one?!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jakob said:

I didn't have a chance yet to do more than give the pdf a scroll-through, but I am already impressed by how well-organzied the material for further elaboration of the setting by the group seems to be: There's table to generate historical events and historical people - I think it's the first time that I've seen something like that in an RPG. Given that ancestor spirits seem to be a major thing in the setting, it especially seems to make sense to have the latter.

Oh, and a table for criminal penalties; who couldn't love that one?!

Glad you are enjoying the book. And yeah, there are a few groundbreaking things in Fioracitta. You can enjoy the city as is, or purloin bits you like for your own. Me, if there's a new Bestiary from TDM, I'd like to see at least one of my non-human peoples brought into such a future book.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Alex Greene said:

Glad you are enjoying the book. And yeah, there are a few groundbreaking things in Fioracitta. You can enjoy the city as is, or purloin bits you like for your own. Me, if there's a new Bestiary from TDM, I'd like to see at least one of my non-human peoples brought into such a future book.

I'd actually really love to see a Mythras Bestiary that solely focuses on presenting some weird species for player character use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HierophantX said:

Was there a time limit on that 10% discount or a expiration on the links? The links in my newsletter email are dead.

No, there's no time limit, and the links should be live. Perhaps try a different browser, or clear you cache; that may do the trick.

• Like 1