Mythic Babylon Now Available

lawrence.whitaker

In the year 1765 BC, King Zimri-Lim of Mari emerged from a planning session with his aides and summoned his personal scribe. As he paced the courtyard in his palace in the city of Tuttul, he dictated a letter to the scribe, who used the cut end of a reed to press the message into a warm clay tablet. That letter, which was to be sent within the hour by speedy messenger, said:

"To my wife, Šibtu, thus says Zimri-Lim: Ask the oracles in Mari questions about Hammurabi of Babylon. Will this man ever die? Does he speak with honesty? Will he bring war? Will he besiege my cities in Suhum while I campaign up north in Apum? Question the oracles, and when you have done so, do it again, and write to me with the answers."
Some days later, the Queen of Mari replied:

"I have asked the questions about Babylon; here is what I've learned. The Man of Babylon is sowing many seeds against this kingdom, but they will not bear fruit. Instead, you will overpower him and capture him. Then you'll see what the God will do to him. His days will soon be at an end. This you should know."

Reassured, King Zimri-Lim organised his troops for departure to the district of Apum. He planned to give battle to the adventurer Atamrum, puppet of the Elamites, who was besieging his allies in the north.

What is Mythic Babylon?
Mythic Babylon is a role-playing supplement for the Mythras game system. It provides everything you need to take your Mythras game back to the 18th century BC and enter a world of cut-throat diplomacy, Machiavellian politics, and ecstatic prophets. Within these covers you'll find information on the society, culture, religion, trade, laws, and beliefs of Old Babylon and the surrounding lands. The setting is presented as a sand-box with a wide-ranging gazetteer of places to explore, each loaded with plot hooks. For those who like to play against the backdrop of history, we provide a timeline of past and near future events. A bestiary and a chapter for game masters rounds out the end of the book.

This book contains everything you need to create adventures in the lands of Sumer, Akkad, and Subartu from the low lying Eden to the Cedar Mountains and even into the Underworld. Follow in the steps of kings like Gilgameš, Kubaba, or Hammurabi in this mythological and historical setting that was nearly 4000 years in the making.

Where is Mythic Babylon?
Mythic Babylon is set in what will later be called Mesopotamia by the Greeks, which means 'The Land Between the Rivers', referring to the Tigris and Euphrates. At the time our book is set, there is no one name for the whole region. Instead, the southern plain is called Sumer and the central plain is called Akkad. Together, these will one day be called Babylonia after the city of Babylon. The northern plain is called Subartu, but will one day come to be called Assyria after the city of Aššur.

This book focuses on Sumer, Akkad, and Subartu. Peripheral regions such as ancient Syria, Turkey, Iran, and Bahrain are given a more cursory treatment.

Expertly illustrated by James Turpin, Mythic Babylon is available in a variety of print on demand (POD) hardcover and softcover formats, plus a PDF version, from DrivethruRPG, Lulu, and the TDM Store. Aeon Games are preparing their own edition for the UK and Europe. The print version comes with the PDF free of charge, and an additional PDF package of maps at no extra charge.

332 pages. From $17.99 (PDF) to $44.99 (hardcover).

DrivethruRPG: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/355333/Mythic-Babylon

Lulu: Hardcover - https://www.lulu.com/en/ca/shop/pau...rdcover/product-4dz4v4.html?page=1&pageSize=4

Lulu: Softcover - https://www.lulu.com/en/ca/shop/pau...perback/product-7z92qz.html?page=1&pageSize=4

TDM Store - http://thedesignmechanism.com/store.php#!/Mythic-Babylon/p/367787033/category=24197109

Mythic Babylon Small.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

13 minutes ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

Expertly illustrated by James Turpin, Mythic Babylon is available in a variety of print on demand (POD) hardcover and softcover formats, plus a PDF version, from DrivethruRPG, Lulu, and the TDM Store. Aeon Games are preparing their own edition for the UK and Europe. The print version comes with the PDF free of charge, and an additional PDF package of maps at no extra charge.

If I were to buy the PDF first from TDM, could I later buy the hardcover. Or must both be bought at the same time. Waiting patiently (the drool on my chin has nothing to do with my state of anxiety. It's is caused by other factors, honest) for your response.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

44 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

If I were to buy the PDF first from TDM, could I later buy the hardcover. Or must both be bought at the same time. Waiting patiently (the drool on my chin has nothing to do with my state of anxiety. It's is caused by other factors, honest) for your response.

If you buy the PDF from the TDM store, we can definitely work out a discount for you based on the PDF price, so not a problem. Just drop me a PM here with details.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

But that's a good problem to have.

I've decided to prioritise my life .. and have been speed reading bits of it...

You do realise Loz, that by publishing Mythic Babylon there is now going to be the sudden, mysterious and untimely deaths of three well thought out, accomplished but poorly-rewarded player characters in my current Saxon campaign, one of whom just got married after years of prevaricating  ... just so I can GM Babylon? 

I think the PCs may be seeking wergeld from you soon... and they think they know where you live

Looks excellent BTW... 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nozbat said:

Bought... but the frustration is I won't be able to read it until later....

2 minutes ago, Nozbat said:

You do realise Loz, that by publishing Mythic Babylon there is now going to be the sudden, mysterious and untimely deaths of three well thought out, accomplished but poorly-rewarded player characters in my current Saxon campaign, one of whom just got married after years of prevaricating  ... just so I can GM Babylon? 

On the bright side, or not, if you allow magic in this game you may have another player!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

38 minutes ago, Nozbat said:

I've decided to prioritise my life .. and have been speed reading bits of it...

I think the PCs may be seeking wergeld from you soon... and they think they know where you live

Looks excellent BTW... 

I accept zero responsibility. Point your lawyer in the directions of Messrs Gilmore and Mitchener, please. It's all their fault.

3 minutes ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

I accept zero responsibility. Point your lawyer in the directions of Messrs Gilmore and Mitchener, please. It's all their fault.

I've already instructed my Lawyers, Messrs. Kynde, Hood and Pinball, all relics of AD&D assassins who moonlight as Lawyers as something even more disreputable than assassins when they were tasked to inflict extra pain on contracted targets than just mere death

Q - how "mythic" or "fantastic" is this?   I was surprised to see nothing "fantastical" in the blurb...

Obviously, if you have other Mythras content the answer is "as 'mythic' as you want it to be!"
But I mean within the covers of this new book, as written?

Do we have "Conan-esque" tropes of desert-hermit sorcerors?
Biblical allusions to priests calling forth miraculous powers, blessing (or retribution) of Marduk, Haddad, Inanna, Enlil, etc?

High fantasy?  Low fantasy?  No-fantasy (historical)?

TYVM!

C'es ne pas un .sig

If you’re familiar with the way the fantastic is portrayed in our other Mythic Earth titles, then this book follows in the same vein. Magic, creatures and gods of the period are real, but the history is also sound and well researched, meaning that the game can be run as a straight historical campaign, or one with magic, spirits and monsters.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

On the bright side, or not, if you allow magic in this game you may have another player!

Having read through quite a lot of it now, Bill... its a rather unique system and the magic is very different...

I think there will be a lot of conversations when running a game of the kind... "Are you pure enough?"... and "You look pure today.."

On a general note I like a lot of the concepts ... particularly the Purity score .. which will mean PCs will always be keeping an eye on that while being involved in Machiavellian Palace politics... running Palace Coups to overthrow the Gatekeeper and finding enough empty cups to get the post of Cupbearer.. or just trying not to hit your ageing Uncle with a candlestick (the one that always makes racist, homophobic, anti "third gender" at the Spring New moon festival).

Looking forward to read it in more depth

22 hours ago, g33k said:

Q - how "mythic" or "fantastic" is this?   I was surprised to see nothing "fantastical" in the blurb...

Obviously, if you have other Mythras content the answer is "as 'mythic' as you want it to be!"
But I mean within the covers of this new book, as written?

Do we have "Conan-esque" tropes of desert-hermit sorcerors?
Biblical allusions to priests calling forth miraculous powers, blessing (or retribution) of Marduk, Haddad, Inanna, Enlil, etc?

High fantasy?  Low fantasy?  No-fantasy (historical)?

TYVM!

These should give you some idea, the types of magic:

1SDXYan.png

A spell from Sorcery:

LK3ENMo.png

• Like 2

Waiting on my hardcopy to arrive, but I'm *really* enjoying what I see in the PDF.

Any announcements about whether we're likely to get an ongoing line of support sourcebooks/adventures for Babylon (like Mythic Britain or Constantinople)? There seems to be *so* much to explore in this era that I feel a tiny bit intimidated by all of it. It's absolutely the best kind of intimidation--the feeling of entering a truly unknown world.

Yet an example adventure (or, dare we hope, a campaign?) would really help me visualize this setting in action....

46 minutes ago, Origen said:

Waiting on my hardcopy to arrive, but I'm *really* enjoying what I see in the PDF.

Any announcements about whether we're likely to get an ongoing line of support sourcebooks/adventures for Babylon (like Mythic Britain or Constantinople)? There seems to be *so* much to explore in this era that I feel a tiny bit intimidated by all of it. It's absolutely the best kind of intimidation--the feeling of entering a truly unknown world.

Yet an example adventure (or, dare we hope, a campaign?) would really help me visualize this setting in action....

We have a Mythic Constantinople scenario, 'The Curse of Triton' in pre-production, and are also hoping to see some Mythic Babylon support not too far behind it.

• Like 3