Improvments: a few questions :D

Adaras

Maybe I should write "Adventurer: the Mine" and / or  "Adventurel the Caravanseai", using these as bases for GMing sandbox mini-campaigns. 

If i write a draft (likely to be a labor of months), who would want to play in the development mini-campaign(s)?

Now here is a complicating question;  What would you do to start a Geo's Inn?  The cult of Geo is already written up in Cult Compendium.  And it is going to be in the RQiG gods book.   But uniquely in CC, there is no description of what it takes to become an initiate of the cult, nor of any benefits or magic,  and the same for cult's priests.  As i read it, you evidently don't have to be a Sanchali by blood - your opinion?  Maybe that's a bridge too far now before the gods book is published.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
spelling, my nemesis.
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

What would an advertising pack be?  There are no mass media on Glorantha.  Advertising might be paying an entertainer to sing poems about the place...

Mostly correct.  There was a group of folk, (Nick Brooke and crew p’raps... anyone?) who postulated a newsletter found in Caravanserai and inns thought the provinces.  This was a while back so I am afraid I can not recall more (back in the nineties or the naughties). 

Spoiler

I also recall it having a nefarious purpose, but maybe playing too much CoC had made me paranoid back then.

Of course, I would imagine it had a Eat at Geo’s ad or two.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

13 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Mostly correct.  There was a group of folk, (Nick Brooke and crew p’raps... anyone?) who postulated a newsletter found in Caravanserai and inns thought the provinces.  ....

How did that newsletter work out in-game among a Gloranthan population most of whom are illiterate? 

The  audience would naturally be Lhankor Mhy cultists, and they are thin on the ground.  Well, issaries are also evidently at least minimally literate, read/write +10% in RQiG, so that would be an additional audience segment, and they would be the inns' best customers.    .... unless you look at the city of Glamour as written up by Nick Brooke and Chris Gidlow, in which a lot of the Lunar lay member population seems to get a grade school education. 

Then of course you have copyist costs, each copy of the newsletter having to be hand copied, presumably at the standard rate, so it would cost enough to feed a poor family for a season.  Brevity would be a desirable trait for the editor.  Seems to me the result would work out to approximately the number of newspapers in the Real World pre-Gutenberg. 

Not my creation, so I truly can’t say. I do recall the perpetrators had an audience and it was not pooh-poohed out of hand... I am hoping someone who was active on the web (pages or digests, @soltakssp'raps) can recall the idea and fill in the details. But I think it would have to be in another thread as we seem to be drifting off topic. Hmm, maybe not, this is tangential to an advertising package offered as a hide improvement project... i.e. a caravanserai...

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 2/3/2022 at 8:46 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

Not my creation, so I truly can’t say. I do recall the perpetrators had an audience and it was not pooh-poohed out of hand... I am hoping someone who was active on the web (pages or digests, @soltakssp'raps) can recall the idea and fill in the details. But I think it would have to be in another thread as we seem to be drifting off topic. Hmm, maybe not, this is tangential to an advertising package offered as a hide improvement project... i.e. a caravanserai...

I can't remember this, but would probably have liked it, as I like caravanserai as the places to go for Adventurers, much better than the standard Inn or Tavern.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 2/3/2022 at 8:25 PM, Squaredeal Sten said:

How did that newsletter work out in-game among a Gloranthan population most of whom are illiterate? 

You find someone literate to read it out aloud. Literacy isn't that rare, at least one in seven people will have basic literacy and be able to read out aloud their native language or Tradetalk haltingly.

To be literate means to be a lay worshipper of Lhankor Mhy, and probably vice versa, too. (By this logic, given the darktongue literacy requirement to join Argan Argar as an initiate, all Argan Argar initiates are lay worshippers of LM.)

Telling how it is excessive verbis

6 hours ago, Joerg said:

You find someone literate to read it out aloud. Literacy isn't that rare, at least one in seven people will have basic literacy and be able to read out aloud their native language or Tradetalk haltingly.

This sounds very high for a Bronze Age barbarian society. I tend to see these numbers for the late Roman Empire.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joerg said:

By this logic, given the darktongue literacy requirement to join Argan Argar as an initiate, all Argan Argar initiates are lay worshippers of LM.)

Ummm, why? And f it's a cult skill, then they wouldn't need to care about LM at all. And that certainly is unlikely to be justified in troll lands, where LM wouldn't even be heard of.

(Unless you want to go with some idea of "any reading or writing is and act of worship, and therefore technically a Lay Member... But I don't buy it)