Looking for a cover artist

Ian A. Thomson

Hello there

Before I get into Fiverr or something I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that can be recommended or who sees this that is interested in a cover commission

I have an idea for cost saving but also for awesomeness

To feature the same Pavis City street scene as the cover on each volume

But to have it vary each time across the ages

First two (circa 894ST) formal and informal city scenes

Third volume image sometime during the early nomad invasions with slight ruins and also nomads

etc etc

Welcoming all recommendations :)

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

Sorry, i am not an illustrator, just a GM and collector with an opinion. 

I idea sounds awesome at first read. 
But i have my doubts. 
A lot of people can´t remember each product they already have, and remember them by topic, author, or especially by cover picture. 
In your case ALL of them would be topic Pavis, author Ian Thompson, and if the cover looks very identical a lot of people might not by all volumes of your work because they might think they already own it. 
Have a look at the 4 Thieves World adventures by FASA (Traitor, TheBlue Camel, The Spirit Stones and Dark Assassin). They all look the same, and i know i miss ONE of them, but i can´t remember wich one. 

• Helpful 1

The plan is also to have very different prominent figures in each one

So they should look substantially different

Obviously the backdrop is a big part of it, but so are the foreground figures :)

The idea is definitely not that they will look the same

and I guess prompted by your comments a BIG title and prominent Vol Number, which will be different for each one of course

• Like 1

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

3 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Have you asked Dario Corallo? He's brilliant, not expensive, and knows exactly what Pavis looks like.

First choice, but sadly (not for him) too busy. He is doing one new internal pic for me, and I hope down the track some of the foreground figures on at least one cover

Two artists I work with frequently on the JC are Ludovic Chabant (@lordabdul) and Kristi Herbert (I don't think she's on BRP Central? But her Beer With Teeth conspirator @Diana Probst is). Katrin Dirim also does great work, although I haven't worked with her personally (yet, I hope!). No clue if Katrin's on here, either. Finally, I've also had a good experience working with Alexandre Gauthier (also unsure if he's summonable).

I don't know what any of the above's art schedule currently looks like.

Over on the JC Creator's group on Facebook, there's a "creators helping creators" resource spreadsheet, which could be worth checking out too.

• Thanks 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

You're talking the Big Rubble, rather than New Pavis, here, otherwise I would have proposed to contact Matthew Cole for his 3D project "Vistas of New Pavis".

I am not enough of an artist to produce other peoples' covers, but I probably would start with a 3D model of that street, and then deteriorate it (and the background) while commissioning different street activities. Possibly including a military parade, a religious procession, or just a market scene during the civilized times, down to urban combat scenes for the rubble period.

This "Time Machine" vibe is great for historical epics.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

13 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

Sorry, i am not an illustrator, just a GM and collector with an opinion. 

I idea sounds awesome at first read. 
But i have my doubts. 
A lot of people can´t remember each product they already have, and remember them by topic, author, or especially by cover picture. 
In your case ALL of them would be topic Pavis, author Ian Thompson, and if the cover looks very identical a lot of people might not by all volumes of your work because they might think they already own it. 
Have a look at the 4 Thieves World adventures by FASA (Traitor, TheBlue Camel, The Spirit Stones and Dark Assassin). They all look the same, and i know i miss ONE of them, but i can´t remember wich one. 

I think the core idea of showing "the same" scene in different era's is good, but I agree the covers need differentiating.  I think that can be done reasonably easily;
As @Ian Thomson says, distinct characters in the foreground goes a long way...  But also:

•  Not just different people in the FG, but different peoples:  one cover might have mostly trolls; one might have several different tribes' Nomad Riders, one might feature a Lunar patrol,etc.
  •  Different times of day (or night) & different lighting-schemes (warm-tone "golden hour" sunset (strong shadows), harsh mid-day sun (little shadow), dusk or night, cool-tone overcast Storm Season); the "feel" of a color-scheme / palette makes a HUGE difference!
  • Different developmental stages -- pre-Rubble, Giant-smashed ruins, an obvious new building, later-still substantial rebuilding, etc.
  • Different art-styles, either by way of different artists, or by fewer artists, but with intentionally-varied styles/media/etc.

Differences like these will go a LONG way towards offsetting the casual shopper's "but haven't I already got that one?" confusion.
BTW, Ian -- I like everything I'm seeing about this project!
I'll just go wait in the corner... and quietly drool over the details.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 minute ago, Bill the barbarian said:

It is quite good, Looking under the hood is making me drool with anticipation for the next, and the next, and the...

<spank>
<spankspankspank>
You are NOT helping me patiently wait, Mr. Barbarian sir !!!

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 3/28/2022 at 7:08 PM, Joerg said:

You're talking the Big Rubble, rather than New Pavis, here, otherwise I would have proposed to contact Matthew Cole for his 3D project "Vistas of New Pavis".

That jumped straight to my mind, and I guess it would be worth Ian being aware of it anyway!

FB link here for anyone who hasn't seen it:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RuneQuest/posts/2166768793499108/

Edited by Brian Duguid
Added FB link

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

I can second Dario. 

Alexandre Gauthier did the cover art for Secrets of HeroQuesting and would probably suit Pavis.

Leah Owen did a cover for a future Jonstown Compendium supplement and was very quick.

Our Spider Woods supplement was done by Elizabeth Browning, but she might be a bit tied up with college work at the moment.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here