Glorantha Classics

Soccercalle

I have bought some of the classics in PDF, including Borderlands & Beyond and Cult Compendium. I now see that you can buy Cults of Prax, Cults of Terror, Pavis and Big Rubble both as PDF and as print-on-demand.

I wonder how "complete" Cult Compendium is and if I would get something more if I buy Cults of Prax and/or Cults of Terror.

1 minute ago, Soccercalle said:

I have bought some of the classics in PDF, including Borderlands & Beyond and Cult Compendium. I now see that you can buy Cults of Prax, Cults of Terror, Pavis and Big Rubble both as PDF and as print-on-demand.

I wonder how "complete" Cult Compendium is

Very and contains cults from other sources

1 minute ago, Soccercalle said:

and if I would get something more if I buy Cults of Prax and/or Cults of Terror.

You can compare the contents pages here:

Looks like you won't have the new designers notes and other printings from the Classic editions.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

The Glorantha classics have everything the Runequest Classics do and a little more. The RQC line has some designer notes, which are nice, and the overall presentation is far better imo, but if all you care about is material the GC line is best.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

I wonder how "complete" Cult Compendium is and if I would get something more if I buy Cults of Prax and/or Cults of Terror.

Cult Compendium is the most-complete resource available at this time.
It includes everything from the two original CoP/CoT books, plus extra cults gathered from additional sources.

It will, however, be superseded (in 2023 by my guess... maybe 2024?) when the Chaosium finally puts a wrap on their new Cults offering.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

18 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

Cult Compendium contains Cults of Prax and Cults of Terror, as well as a lot of cults from other sources, including the White Wolf magazine.

It is very well worth buying and I can't recommend it enough.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

Cult Compendium contains Cults of Prax and Cults of Terror, as well as a lot of cults from other sources, including the White Wolf magazine.

Yeah I own it and really like it. My question was if I would get something more if I also bought CoP and CoT. But I guess not.

3 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

At that time it was one book with 50 cults (and no art yet). 
Now it will be two volumumes with 100 cults + a prosperida. 

Yep. And I am sad that they didn't released it without art. They could have released a second part with the rest of the cults and the prospedia later. And an art appendix for people who wants to have that. I am more interested in the storys and rules.

1 hour ago, Soccercalle said:

Yep. And I am sad that they didn't released it without art. They could have released a second part with the rest of the cults and the prospedia later. And an art appendix for people who wants to have that. I am more interested in the storys and rules.

I rather have happily waited a year more to get an illustrated cults book. 
So: Our "needs" seem to differ. 🙂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

I rather have happily waited a year more to get an illustrated cults book. 
So: Our "needs" seem to differ. 🙂

In the best world the both of us get what we want. Two versions. One without art for the people that prioritize the information ASAP. And one with art for the people that prioritize the art.

13 minutes ago, Soccercalle said:

In the best world the both of us get what we want. Two versions. One without art for the people that prioritize the information ASAP. And one with art for the people that prioritize the art.

I don´t prorize art. I just found myself more pleased with the RQG rulebook, and the Starter Set, etc. with the art attached to the text. 
The one good thing with the fact that the books take much longer when waiting for art is that the authors can come back to the manuscript and add and edit little things after readinf what they wrote half a year earlier. So WE get a more refined text as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

I don´t prorize art. I just found myself more pleased with the RQG rulebook, and the Starter Set, etc. with the art attached to the text. 
The one good thing with the fact that the books take much longer when waiting for art is that the authors can come back to the manuscript and add and edit little things after readinf what they wrote half a year earlier. So WE get a more refined text as well. 

Although not wanting a long tiff... @Soccercalle's idea would also allow the authors to come back and edit after reading... An early release as a PDF without art could then be updated with the full (and edited) version later - and in dead aldryami version.

Sure, an unconventional idea, but one that a few have suggested. Although... somewhat irrelevant, given that the decision has been made, and anything we have to say here will not make an ounce of difference.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

At that time it was one book with 50 cults (and no art yet). 
Now it will be two volumumes with 100 cults + a prosperida. 

I think if 50 cults had been released, and then pieces were substantively changed because the additional cults forced significant revisions to the earlier works, we'd have seen a lot of complaining about that.  Much as I'd like it out, having a work that cohesively fits together is preferable in my view.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, soltakss said:

Also handy to have a single volume.

And yet most of the time I use Cults of Prax... Except for PCs in a cult not in Cults of Prax....

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 10:29 AM, Soccercalle said:

My question was if I would get something more if I also bought CoP and CoT. But I guess not.

Oh, I see.

Probably not, apart from the sheer joy of owning such splendid supplements.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

21 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I think if 50 cults had been released, and then pieces were substantively changed because the additional cults forced significant revisions to the earlier works, we'd have seen a lot of complaining about that. 

We complain about everything.

• Release a smaller version early! Boo, what about the other cults?
  • Release a text-based version early! Boo, what about the artwork?
  • Release a full version with artwork? Boo, I only wanted a text version.
  • Release a prosperida early? Boo, that is just fluff, we want the full version!

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, soltakss said:

We complain about everything.

• Release a smaller version early! Boo, what about the other cults?
  • Release a text-based version early! Boo, what about the artwork?
  • Release a full version with artwork? Boo, I only wanted a text version.
  • Release a prosperida early? Boo, that is just fluff, we want the full version!

Personally, I am happy to wait for the full cults book, fully illustrated, and I see the prosopedia as a welcomed bonus.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

Personally, I am happy to wait for the full cults book, fully illustrated, and I see the prosopedia as a welcomed bonus.

Me too