Upcoming Glorantha publications

Steve

This is a totally unofficial list that I originally put together over on the now-defunct Glorantha G+ group. So details may be wrong but a lot of this has been officially confirmed (e.g. that the product is planned, though not when it will be released). I thought I'd share it here, for fun and info. I try and keep abreast of things and keep it updated with new products (and delete items when they're released). Input on this is of course very welcome, because I may well miss things (since I'm not actually Lhankor Mhy).

Please note - each section is not in expected release order, unless otherwise specified.

RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha (RQG) (updated 5 Dec 2022)

-- note: all working titles listed here; final published versions may have different titles, which will be publicized when the official release date is announced. -- 

Upcoming releases:

• Cults of Glorantha (multi-volume) - in reformat for a multi-book release and print in Europe. (Facebook 30 Nov 2022)
  • RuneQuest spirit magic and Rune magic spell decks - almost through layout  (Facebook 30 Nov 2022)
  • Prax - back from editing. (Facebook 30 Nov 2022)
  • Prosopaedia (systemless, overview of the deities, 128 pages) Finalising text corrections. (5 December 2022)
  • Gamemaster Book (including heroquesting rules) - going into editing (Facebook 30 Nov 2022)
  • Pavis and the Big Rubble - by Robin Laws - both done with editing (Facebook 30 Nov 2022)
  • Sartar - art complete and is ready for layout (Facebook 30 Nov 2022)
  • The Guide to Dragon Pass - art complete (or nearly so) and is ready for layout (Facebook 30 Nov 2022)

Other RQ releases coming later on:

• The Dragon Pass Campaign - sort of like Pendragon Boy King
  • Heroquesting Sourcebook
  • Upland Marsh (manuscript complete, art commissioning and editing underway)
  • Trollpak
  • Snakepipe Hollow
  • Holy Country (which might just be called Masters of Luck and Death)
  • Invisible God
  • Lunar Provinces
  • Grazelands sourcebook
  • Heortland & Hendrikland sourcebook
  • The Dragons Eye - details
  • Temple of the Sun (sourcebook for Sun Dome County in Dragon Pass)
  • Elf Pack - by Shannon Appelcline (Mastodon 9 Nov 2022)
  • Elder Races book - 12 races 
  • Culbrea book - by some of the Beer With Teeth crew
  • Esrolia (expanded version of Nochet) book
  • Kralorela sourcebook
  • Lunar Tarsh
  • The Siege of Whitewall
  • Jonstown Adventures (a follow-up to the Starter Set)
  • Adventurer's Journal
  • The Dreaming Ruin (adventure anthology)
  • The Hunt for the Storm Calf (a one-off adventure based off Khan of Khans)
  • The Great Wagon Train Campaign (title TBD)
  • Glorantha Cookbook (recipes and travel guide accompanying Yanioth and Sorala, from Boldhome via New Pavis to Wintertop.)(95% complete, see God Learner podcast episode 16)

Other items mentioned in the past but not recently (so these might still be coming, or plans might have changed, and even if they're coming they could be way off):

• Barbarian Town campaign pack - by Sarah Newton
  • Seapolis pack

QuestWorlds (HeroQuest) publications

• QuestWorlds Core Rulebook - Ian Cooper
  • QuestWorlds Worlds & Quests book - how to create genre packs and adventures, with three sample genre packs and adventures, by Ian Cooper
  • QuestWorlds genre packs - various authors
  • The Dragonrise, the “offstage” material from The Eleven Lights, for HQG/QuestWorlds - Ian Cooper
  • Fonrit setting book for HQG/QuestWorlds - Ian Cooper

Non-Gloranthan RuneQuest publications

Mythic Iceland - using RQ rules but not set in Glorantha 

Other Glorantha publications

• Glorantha Skirmish Wars - miniatures skirmish game from Mad Knight
  • White Bear & Red Moon new edition - on hold
  • Nomad Gods new edition - on hold
  • Trollball game with minis - Chaosium not working on this.
  • Wyrms Footnotes #16 - some articles submitted. slow progress. Would be PDF and POD when done.
  • Prince of Sartar (printed version of the online comic) - no new strips scheduled. POD version coming on chaosium.com

Upcoming reprints for existing products, officially confirmed

Apparently coming but no recent details, so probably some way off

-----
Please note that once updates are added or questions answered, this thread is pruned down for clarity.
Edited by Scotty
updated 5 Dec 2022
  • Like 5
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 5

• Scotty changed the title to Upcoming Glorantha publications
  • Scotty pinned this topic

Items listed individually will be sold individually. Some items listed collectively as a single bullet point may be sold individually. Examples: Prax is a single bullet point but it may turn out to be two books that will be sold individually. Same might be true for the bullet point about Pavis and Big Rubble. They might turn out to be two books, and those 2 books would be sold individually.

NOTE: Slipcase sets are problematic right now, no matter how cool they may be. They add cost, increase likelihood of damage, and there is currently an ongoing cardboard shortage which means long wait times in many countries if you want something in a box or slipcase. For the RuneQuest line, I suggest just buying an extra empty RQ slipcase if slipcases are that big a deal for you..

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 8/17/2022 at 10:34 AM, Oracle said:

Having the attention of @Rick Meintscurrently I would like to satisfy my curiosity a bit more. Is this (the Glorantha Quickstart) still something, that may happen, or has this superseded by the RQ Starter Set Book 2 Glorantha?

Yes, what was originally conceived as a 'Glorantha Quick-Start' essentially became the second book that is included in the RQ Starter Set. 

860151044_ScreenShot2022-08-20at9_47_30pm.thumb.png.534eedb7e70a443182bd66bf1babc746.png

• Like 2
  • Helpful 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, svensson said:

a] Will the Gods /Cults of Glorantha books be released at the same time?

b] Given that the Proserpaedia is a separate work, will it be released concurrently or later on?

The Cults books will not be sold all at the same time. The Prosopaedia will be one of the first ones sold, as its layout is done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Hope that Helps,

New news from Jason, just posted on FB:

There aren't any RQ products scheduled for release between now and Christmas. (Generally, our distribution coordinator begs us to not release stuff just before Christmas, as it creates all sorts of problems at a time when resources are the most taxed.)

Cults of Glorantha was planned to go to press a couple of months ago as a three-book slipcase set (two big books plus the Prosopaedia), but due to the ongoing and unfortunate situation in China regarding printing and shipping (and, well, everything), the decision was made to reformat it for a multi-book release and print in Europe.
It has been the 800-lb-gorilla, the elephant in the room, the bottleneck, the fly in the ointment, etc. for the last year, and changing the format and release plan set us back a bit but also let a lot of stuff catch up.

We have brought in an additional art director for Prax. which is just back from editing. We have brought on art directors to take Mythic Iceland and Lords of the Middle Sea out of the production cycle (Jeff, myself, Jaye, etc.) so that we can all focus on RQ material.

Meanwhile, the Sartar sourcebook is now art complete and is ready for layout. The Guide to Dragon Pass is art complete (or nearly so) and is ready for layout. The RuneQuest spirit magic and Rune magic spell decks are almost through layout.

Pavis and Big Rubble are both done with editing. Return to Snakepipe Hollow is through editing. The GM book is going into editing. I am literally sitting on another 20 manuscripts that have all been waiting in line patiently in various stages of completion and editing for their turn with art direction and production.

Thus, we will be sending not just one, but multiple books to press within the next couple of months, to the point where we're going to have to stagger their releases to keep from saturating the market.

• Like 6
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2022 at 7:38 AM, Lurking Grue said:

Is it Chaosium's current publishing practice (for RQG products) to release both the PDF and the physical book at the same time (and not PDF first with pre-order, book later)? I seem to recall reading something to this effect.

We intend to release the print and PDF versions at the same time.

I kindly ask that you not use the phrase "pre-order". Buying a PDF first means you get a discount on the printed book if you later decide to buy the printed book, but that is not the same as pre-ordering a printed book. Buying a PDF does not obligate you to buy the printed book later, nor does it obligate us to eventually produce a printed book for you to buy. Chaosium hasn't done pre-order for at least 7 years, not including kickstarter related things, of course.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hope that Helps,

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

What is the difference between between the Sartar and The Guide to Dragon Pass thing?

Does anyone know, please? 

Guide to Dragon Pass: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/guide-to-dragon-pass/

The Sartar (Box or Book) is the Sartar homeland resource of, tribes, clans, maps, local cults, personalities etc.

• Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised no one's posted about this gem from Jeff's twitter feed*: 

*As reported in Ludo and Joerg's  "Journal of Runic Studies #84" (https://godlearners.com/journal-of-runic-studies-84/

So, seeing as the Prosopaedia was already at this stage in early December, does this mean: a) four books in addition to the Prosopaedia or b) four books including the Prosopaedia? Either way, it may be a couple more months before we can get our grubby little hands on anything. Still, it's heartening to know that there's positive movement. Between all the RQ and Pendragon stuff that should be coming out this year, I might have to get a second job to pay for it all...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beoferret said:

*As reported in Ludo and Joerg's  "Journal of Runic Studies #84

Ludo's, except for occasional guest appearances by me, usually marked as such.

Guest appearances in the newsletter are welcome - contact us (well, Ludo) at tribe@godlearners.com if you want to write about something newsworthy.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

5 hours ago, metcalph said:

It won't.  Policy is now to release the PDF when the product is ready for shipping.

Thanks, makes sense. I was partially thinking of it from the standpoint of a way of catching any missed errors that might slip through the eagle-eyed editors but mostly from the standpoint of wanting to feast my eyes on the bounty  that these publications will undoubtedly bring.

On 12/14/2022 at 1:07 PM, Rick Meints said:

We intend to release the print and PDF versions at the same time.

I'd like to request/suggest you reconsider this policy...  At least, for some releases.

I know the shipping & supply-chain vagaries are... "easing" is the best term, I guess? ... but it's still I think 4+ months from when you give the final draft to the printers, to when we can actually order hardcopies @Chaosium or our FLGS.  That third-of-a-year wait (for high-demand items like the Cults books!) looks kind of outsized, from this side of the transaction.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, g33k said:

That third-of-a-year wait (for high-demand items like the Cults books!) looks kind of outsized, from this side of the transaction.

I don’t know, but I suspect that releasing the PDF first or taking PDF-now-book-later orders on Chaosium’s site might result in fewer sales at your FLGS.

4 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

I don’t know, but I suspect that releasing the PDF first or taking PDF-now-book-later orders on Chaosium’s site might result in fewer sales at your FLGS.

I suspect you are correct, but I don't know either.
I suspect Chaosium prefers the direct-sales model, though:  even with the warehouse overhead (I think) they make more money that way.