Upcoming Glorantha publications

Steve

This started off as a totally unofficial list that I originally put together over on the now-defunct Glorantha G+ group. Over time it has evolved and these days we're lucky to have Chaosium staff updating it with dates and details as those become apparent, so it does have some official input. Even so, some details may be wrong (e.g. old info that Chaosium staff haven't changed) but a lot of this has been officially confirmed as you will see below. I try and keep abreast of things and keep it updated with new products (and delete items when they're released), but this is made a lot easier these days with that Chaosium help. Input on this is of course very welcome, because I may well miss things (since I'm not actually Lhankor Mhy).

Please note - each section is not in expected release order, unless otherwise specified.

RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha (RQG) (updated 23 Apr 2024)

-- note: all working titles listed here; final published versions may have different titles, which will be publicized when the official release date is announced. -- 

Upcoming releases:

• Cults of RuneQuest (eleven volumes, below) - (YouTube 28 Feb 2023, Facebook 30 Aug 2023)
    • Cults ot RuneQuest: Solar book next after Lunar book (Facebook, 6 Nov 2023)
    • Cults of RuneQuest: Next five books - 2024 and Beyond. (YouTube 28 Feb 2023). Remaining books (not in release order) - Darkness, Water, Horned God (Spirit), Lords of Terror (Chaos), Invisible God - Facebook 30 Aug 2023).
  • The Guide to Dragon Pass - in layout (Facebook 6 Nov 2023)
  • The Gamemaster Sourcebook (title not final) (including heroquesting rules) pretty far along, although not in layout (below, 9 October 2023)
  • Starter Set 14 additional non-human NPCs -  in layout (BRP Central 7 Apr 2023)
  • Prax - back from editing. (Facebook 30 Nov 2022)
  • Sartar - soon in layout (Facebook 6 Nov 2023)
  • RuneQuest spirit magic and Rune magic spell decks - almost through layout  (Facebook 30 Nov 2022)
  • Pavis and the Big Rubble - by Robin Laws - both done with editing (Facebook 30 Nov 2022)

Other RQ releases coming later on (with refs):

• Heortland & Hendrikland sourcebook by Harald SmithManuscript was accepted in 2022 (@jajagappa 25 April 2023)
  • Glorantha Cookbook (recipes and travel guide accompanying Yanioth and Sorala, from Boldhome via New Pavis to Wintertop.)(95% complete, see God Learner podcast episode 16). Manuscript is done and edited but likely needs additional art (below, 12 October 2023)
  • Whitewall-based adventure pack. The manuscript by Harald Smith and Ed Bolme has been complete/accepted for some time. (@jajagappa 25 April 2023)
  • Elf Pack - by Shannon Appelcline (Mastodon 9 Nov 2022)
  • The Dragons Eye - (Chaosium 2 Aug 2020)

Apparently coming but no recent details, so probably some way off (no refs):

• Elder Races book - 12 races 
  • Culbrea book - by some of the Beer With Teeth crew
  • Esrolia (expanded version of Nochet) book
  • Kralorela sourcebook
  • Lunar Tarsh
  • The Dragon Pass Campaign - sort of like Pendragon Boy King 
  • Heroquesting Sourcebook
  • Upland Marsh (manuscript complete, art commissioning and editing underway)
  • Trollpak
  • Snakepipe Hollow
  • Holy Country (which might just be called Masters of Luck and Death)
  • Lunar Provinces
  • Grazelands sourcebook
  • Temple of the Sun (sourcebook for Sun Dome County in Dragon Pass)
  • Jonstown Adventures (a follow-up to the Starter Set)
  • Adventurer's Journal
  • The Dreaming Ruin (adventure anthology)
  • The Hunt for the Storm Calf (a one-off adventure based off Khan of Khans)
  • The Great Wagon Train Campaign (title TBD)
  • Barbarian Town campaign pack - by Sarah Newton
  • Seapolis pack

Other Glorantha publications

• Glorantha Skirmish Wars - miniatures skirmish game (Chaosium 4 Jul 2016)
  • White Bear & Red Moon new edition - (Facebook 17 Nov 2023)
  • Nomad Gods new edition - on hold
  • Trollball game with minis - Chaosium not working on this.
  • Wyrms Footnotes #16 - some articles submitted. slow progress. Would be PDF and POD when done.
  • Prince of Sartar (printed version of the online comic) - no new strips scheduled. POD version coming on chaosium.com

Upcoming reprints for existing products, officially confirmed
  •  

Non-Gloranthan publications

• Mythic Iceland - using BRP but not set in Glorantha

QuestWorlds (HeroQuest) publications

• QuestWorlds Core Rulebook - Ian Cooper 
  • QuestWorlds Worlds & Quests book - how to create genre packs and adventures, with three sample genre packs and adventures, by Ian Cooper
  • QuestWorlds genre packs - various authors
  • The Dragonrise, the “offstage” material from The Eleven Lights, for HQG/QuestWorlds - Ian Cooper
  • Fonrit setting book for HQG/QuestWorlds - Ian Cooper

-----
Please note that once updates are added or questions answered, this thread is pruned down for clarity.
Edited by Steve
Updated 11 APR 2024
  • Like 7
  • Helpful 3
  • Thanks 7

• Scotty changed the title to Upcoming Glorantha publications
  • Scotty pinned this topic

Items listed individually will be sold individually. Some items listed collectively as a single bullet point may be sold individually. Examples: Prax is a single bullet point but it may turn out to be two books that will be sold individually. Same might be true for the bullet point about Pavis and Big Rubble. They might turn out to be two books, and those 2 books would be sold individually.

NOTE: Slipcase sets are problematic right now, no matter how cool they may be. They add cost, increase likelihood of damage, and there is currently an ongoing cardboard shortage which means long wait times in many countries if you want something in a box or slipcase. For the RuneQuest line, I suggest just buying an extra empty RQ slipcase if slipcases are that big a deal for you..

• Like 7
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 8/17/2022 at 10:34 AM, Oracle said:

Having the attention of @Rick Meintscurrently I would like to satisfy my curiosity a bit more. Is this (the Glorantha Quickstart) still something, that may happen, or has this superseded by the RQ Starter Set Book 2 Glorantha?

Yes, what was originally conceived as a 'Glorantha Quick-Start' essentially became the second book that is included in the RQ Starter Set. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 3
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

PDF and Print Releases

We intend to release the print and PDF versions at the same time.

I kindly ask that you not use the phrase "pre-order". Buying a PDF first means you get a discount on the printed book if you later decide to buy the printed book, but that is not the same as pre-ordering a printed book. Buying a PDF does not obligate you to buy the printed book later, nor does it obligate us to eventually produce a printed book for you to buy. Chaosium hasn't done pre-order for at least 7 years, not including kickstarter related things, of course.

Chaosium did a fairly detailed analysis on releasing the PDF first, followed by selling the printed version later (with PDF discount coupon). Please note, if your primary or main desire is to get the material (albeit in PDF) as quickly as possible, then there really is no debate about preferring PDF first. We get that, and respect that desire. Before I get into some of the results of our research, please be assured that we will still offer free PDFs with printed books purchased directly from Chaosium (plus Bits & Mortar). That also goes for purchasing a PDF first and then wanting to buy the printed book later. You will still get a discount coupon.

Here are some things we concluded or discovered during our look into "PDF first" or "PDF and Print at the same time":

• PDF first currently relies on crowdsourced editing. While that sounds nifty to some, it actually pointed out that we shouldn't be relying on such volunteer efforts to get us a fully edited/correct final book. That's not what professional publishers do. Our development process must produce books that are edited completely. It showed we need more professional editing. In no way should this be seen as a derogatory comment about all of the people who volunteer to help with crowdsourced edits, or the quality of what they do. We really appreciate all the volunteers.
  • PDF first forces us to announce and market the book twice (PDF release and then printed book release), which makes each announcement have less impact as opposed to having a larger single campaign. The printed book needs to make the biggest splash when announced.
  • PDF first means creating and processing a lot of PDF discount coupons, including combo coupons, when the printed book is sold. This is more time consuming than you think.
  • PDF first means two versions of the "final" PDF are out in circulation, plus the inevitable desire to know specifically what the differences are, which is time consuming to explain and detail. Some even worry that all of the changes made might not make it into the printed version.
  • PDF first also raised questions about its effect on total sales. Does getting the PDF early make someone more OR less likely to buy the printed book later?

So what does all that mean? It means we are seeing how things go with doing the next new releases as "PDF and Printed book at the same time". We've done plenty of "PDF first" releases to know what those are like. Once we have enough of both approaches to more fully compare, we'll see what we do going forward. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Hope that Helps,

Upcoming Cults of Glorantha publications

A few answers:

• When I say "10 volumes" I mean 10 individual hardcover books. Volume = Book.
  • The first 4 books are Mythology, Prosopaedia, Lightbringers, and Earth.
  • Each book is 144-168 pages in length.
  • Those books are off to the printers soon.
  • We have different teams doing each product line so CoC releases don't slow down RQ releases, or Rivers of London releases, or Pendragon releases.
  • While the art and layout team is working on Book X, the writing and editing teams are working on Book Y.
  • All the cults books are written and edited.
  • Each book goes through a final proofread after layout is done.
  • We are still waiting on some of the art for the remaining 6 cults books
  • The GM book and the Card Set are also top priorities.
Edited by Rick Meints
page counts
  • Like 11
  • Helpful 5
  • Thanks 15

Hope that Helps,

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, svensson said:

Give all the info you published about MSRP, content and whatnot all in one place.

It's all here: https://www.chaosium.com/blog/ then basically the same out onto our other social media. If you subscribe to this as an RSS feed, or our twitter or FB feed, you'll get it all in the one place. 

here's the atom/RSS feed for our news: https://www.chaosium.com/rss.php?action=newblogs&type=atom

On 3/30/2023 at 1:42 PM, Khaghan said:

Apologies if this has been clarified elsewhere, but a quick check hasn't turned anything up - is the plan to do all 10 Cults books before moving on to any of the other releases, or will some of the other books that are on the Upcoming list be interspersed throughout the Cults titles?

Chaosium's individual Hardcover books range in price from $35.99 to $59.99. Sets of books would be more, of course, like the RQG Slipcase set or the Masks of Nyarlathotep set.

Hope that Helps,

On 4/6/2023 at 2:08 PM, Soccercalle said:

When a book is written and the art is done. How much time does editing, layout and printing take for a "normal" book? It would at least give is a hint of the "time to market" for a book that is "ready for layout". Chaosium has written that it is different time so it shouldn't be much of "tight pipeline issues" now when the scripts for the cults books are finished.

Most of the editing, especially content and copy editing, is best done before the layout starts, often while the art is being created. Typically, the main type of editing done after layout is final proof reading, and layout corrections. The main factor for how long layout takes, provided ALL the art is ready when you start, is the number of pages of layout. The printing is probably the smallest time factor. Shipping is a much larger factor, as we have to get the books to all 5 of our warehouses, and there is always the possibility of a delay from factors beyond our control, like customs deals, ship unloading backlogs, the weather, the Suez canal being closed, etc. 

On 4/6/2023 at 5:32 PM, Soccercalle said:

How long is the average "time to market" after the text had had its main editing and the art is back from the artist/artists. I am aware that the time may vary a bit from product to product and from time to time.

• Layout usually takes 1-2 months for 128+ page books, provided all text, art and other assets are ready when layout starts.
  • Final review takes one week.
  • Printing takes 1 month, maybe a little longer for a boxed set of items.
  • Shipping to all 5 warehouses takes 2-3 months.

Thus, it's about 6+ months for all that to happen, unless some unexpected problem(s) happen.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 3
  • Thanks 3

Hope that Helps,

The only thing I would like done to the list now is for references to the info to be add (citation needed). If you can point to references of where the mentions/ announcements were made, I will add them to the list. The idea being that those reading this list can read where it came from. I’ve already done this with the newer products. 

• Thanks 1

Anyone is free to share whatever thoughts they have on any book in the works.

If someone asks Chaosium for an official update on project status, the general answer will be that we will say more when we want to announce it more formally. Too many "you promised" emotions get involved when we mention speculative dates on when something will be completed and for sale. 

• Like 6
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Cassius said:

Will The Stafford House Compaign be the only volume of the Chaosium Archival Collection ?

While we won't be doing many more volumes, more volumes might very well happen. I wouldn't have called it "volume I" if I didn't want or expect to do more volumes. I squeeze in these sorts of projects when I have the materials and the time to do something with them. That combination is pretty rare. I have not started on Volume II.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 2

Hope that Helps,

19 hours ago, Auburnt_Amaranth said:

After a year of radio silence can we get some kind of update about books like Sartar, Dragon Pass Guide etc?
The very least I hope for a life sign of the dearly missed GM Guide.

The Guide to Dragon Pass and Sartar go into layout once the Lunar Cults book is complete (within two weeks). 

The Gamemaster Sourcebook (title not final) will be 4th or 5th in that line. 

• Like 8
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, glarkhag said:

ahh, thanks.

...and did the questworlds project die and get replaced by RQG, in which case as that picks up after Eleven LIghts (if I understand the timeline correctly) no need for a rebrand?

Questworlds hasn't died. There have been a number of delays though. 

• Thanks 2

Hope that Helps,

On 10/10/2023 at 12:54 PM, glarkhag said:

There was some talk in the past I believe about Coming Storm and Eleven Lights being rebranded for RQG. Is this still an intention and/or will material from these be in the Sartar and Dragon Pass books ?

There is no plan to convert them to RuneQuest.

• Helpful 2

image.png.ca04faf15156ceb22c631cc266b98727.png

The manuscript is done, edited, and we have many, many photos. It will likely require some additional art, but that'll be determined by the book's design. 

The only question is priority. It's a niche product and thus is hard to make a case for putting it in line in front of actual game material. 

When it moves into the production queue, it will come together relatively fast. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Wheel Shield said:

I have been loving the Cults books but have been concerned about waiting for all 10 of them before we get to some other material. Again, my thanks.

Once Cults was broken up, we realized it would be necessary to intersperse releases with other sourcebooks and adventure collections. 

1 hour ago, DreadDomain said:

I believe there were an updated RQG and an updated Starter Set in the planning. It's it still the case?

We're working on something along the lines of an "updated RQG" but have no plans to revise the Starter Set, other than making any necessary corrections for future reprints. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

A couple updates included in a FB post reply related to info on the Telmori, Jeff noted: 

Given that the Dragon Pass book is in layout, and Sartar is shortly after (with the Solar book in between), you don't have much time to wait until there is a full RQ treatment of the Telmori.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Demishadow23 said:

Any word on The Lunar Way and the revised Glorantha Sourcebook? 

I would love to get my hands on them even if it’s just to pre-order and have immediate access to PDFs and then later get the physical copies.

Check out this thread, specifically about the last 7 posts. There is some useful information. Short answer: Any day now. The books are printed and are in several warehouses, but they are waiting until all of them have it. Shouldn't be long.

Edited by Wheel Shield

3 hours ago, Wheel Shield said:

Update. I am assuming The Lunar Way is coming too, but this says what it says, and predictions seem to be folly.

Judging from Jeff's articles on Facebook, which have been Lunar themed over the past few days, its release seems to me to be near.  Aetherworks, the presumed milestone before release, is a bit more pessimistic.

• Helpful 1

As far as book availability as a general topic,I’ve  given this a lot of thought and delved into other forums exploring this topic and see that Rick made an extensive post about what Chaosium tried in the past, what the results were from a business standpoint, what they are trying now and also stating that depending on how things go, what future policies might be on availability.  My opinions of course are always going to be colored by self interest and wanting the books asap…(I think Freeleague has spoiled me since they give pdf’s out months before a book releases)but here it goes. 🙂

I think what’s needed is a middle ground. In the past people had the ability to buy a pdf and then get a discount on a physical book when it releases or get a physical book and get a free PDF. This caused problems. I’d say go to Rick’s post for a better description then I could give.

the new policy is to only offer the books when they are available everywhere. No pre-orders. Ok that solves some problems but creates new ones.

i propose a middle ground pre-order strategy.

offer preorders but ONLY for BOTH the physical book and the PDF. Not one or the other. Then immediately give access to the PDF. No sales are lost. You have your orders locked in. No cancellations of pre-orders allowed. (My stance is if someone really really wants that content before the release date they should take the hit and be locked in or wait.)

Then only AFTER the book is released offer options for people to buy the PDF by itself or the physical book and PDF together. I know this would affect pricing so there is a consequence because you no longer are doing a free pdf model when you bundle them together this way. 

this middle ground would allow people to have access to the books even when we have boats taking four month trips. Everybody is happy. 

I probably am vastly over-simplifying all of this and missed a whole slew of complications and factors and hopefully Chaosium isn’t insulted or annoyed by my feedback. 

Ultimately we all want the company we love to succeed and to be able to enjoy all of their wonderful content for years to come so I will always support them in how they go about this but with a little grumbling…out of love. 🙂 

Looking forward to - all the Pendragon Books, G Sourcebook 2.0 and of course The Lunar Way!

• Like 3

Ok. I’d like to ask outright now and I ask with respect: I’m not trying to troll.

i want the Glorantha Sourcebook 2.0

I also want the Lunar book and all the Pendragon books.

The Lunar book was announced for March and missed it. 

The Pendragom books are announced for this month.

My conundrum is that I don’t want to place multiple orders and pay multiple shipping charges.  I Want to if at all humanly possible place one order or worse case two orders.

thus far asking about the Lunar book has gotten at most a vague “soon” answer with much speculation. 

I ask with respect and I’m not expecting a laser precise answer.

are we on track for April for the Pendragon books? If not ballpark when. Weeks? Months?

The Lunar book? Weeks? Months?

I want to know so that if the wait is long then I can fee free to order the GAB 2.0 right now. Or if the wait is weeks for those other books, I’ll wait and place one order.

I’m not asking for a precise date. And Chaosium doesn’t owe me anything but I do think (because these books were officially announced with release windows) that more clarity is in order and it’s a perfectly reasonable thing for me or anyone to not only ask but to expect an answer.

i don’t appreciate my posts being “trimmed”.  There has been no answers and i think other and myself asking is reasonable. And it’s poor customer service to ignore or remove these posts instead of addressing it head on. These are not troublemaking posts. This is people wanting answers so we can buy your products.

If you trim my current post then that is fine and that will be my answer and I’ll go way. but it’s poor customer service in my opinion.

On 4/10/2024 at 6:50 PM, Demishadow23 said:

this middle ground would allow people to have access to the books even when we have boats taking four month trips. Everybody is happy. 

everybody... everybody...

At least not me, I'm still waiting English-speaker custormers* to have access to the books even if I buy only the pdf version.

Following your proposal, that means, even if I "need" less than other customers, I would have to wait more than them to access to the book ? No there would be at least one guy not happy  / more frustrated than today / maybe angry  with this strategy.

* because non English speakers will wait a lot of months / years / lives... to read this fabulous content in their own languages, don't forget these poor guys 🙂