Upcoming Glorantha publications

Steve

This is a totally unofficial list that I originally put together over on the now-defunct Glorantha G+ group. So details may be wrong but a lot of this has been officially confirmed (e.g. that the product is planned, though not when it will be released). I thought I'd share it here, for fun and info. I try and keep abreast of things and keep it updated with new products (and delete items when they're released). Input on this is of course very welcome, because I may well miss things (since I'm not actually Lhankor Mhy).

Please note - each section is not in expected release order, unless otherwise specified.

RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha (RQG) (updated 6 Sep 2022)

-- note: all working titles listed here; final published versions may have different titles, which will be publicized when the official release date is announced. -- 

Upcoming releases:

• Cults of Glorantha (multi-volume) - layout underway
  • Spell Cards - manuscript complete, art commissioning and editing underway
  • Dragon Pass Atlas/Gazetteer - manuscript complete, art commissioning and editing underway
  • Prax - manuscript complete, art commissioning and editing underway
  • Prosopaedia (systemless, overview of the deities, 128 pages) Done, off to print this year.
  • Gamemaster Book (including heroquesting rules) - being written
  • Pavis and the Big Rubble - by Robin Laws - manuscript complete, art commissioning and editing underway
  • Sartar - manuscript complete, art commissioning and editing underway
  • Chaosium Classics Volume I : The Stafford House Campaign - Done, debut printing sold at Chaosium Con, Gen Con and Origins. Available soon as a POD title on chaosium.com
  • MIG III (The Meints Index to Glorantha) - About to go to the printer. PDF for sale soon.

Other RQ releases coming later on:

• The Dragon Pass Campaign - sort of like Pendragon Boy King
  • Heroquesting Sourcebook
  • Upland Marsh (manuscript complete, art commissioning and editing underway)
  • Trollpak
  • Snakepipe Hollow
  • Holy Country (which might just be called Masters of Luck and Death)
  • Invisible God
  • Lunar Provinces
  • Grazelands sourcebook
  • Heortland & Hendrikland sourcebook
  • The Dragons Eye - details
  • Temple of the Sun (sourcebook for Sun Dome County in Dragon Pass)
  • Elf Pack - by Shannon Appelcline
  • Elder Races book - 12 races 
  • Culbrea book - by some of the Beer With Teeth crew
  • Esrolia (expanded version of Nochet) book
  • Kralorela sourcebook
  • Lunar Tarsh
  • The Siege of Whitewall
  • Jonstown Adventures (a follow-up to the Starter Set)
  • Adventurer's Journal
  • The Dreaming Ruin (adventure anthology)
  • The Hunt for the Storm Calf (a one-off adventure based off Khan of Khans)
  • The Great Wagon Train Campaign (title TBD)

Other items mentioned in the past but not recently (so these might still be coming, or plans might have changed, and even if they're coming they could be way off):

• Barbarian Town campaign pack - by Sarah Newton
  • Seapolis pack

QuestWorlds (HeroQuest) publications

• QuestWorlds Core Rulebook - Ian Cooper
  • QuestWorlds Worlds & Quests book - how to create genre packs and adventures, with three sample genre packs and adventures, by Ian Cooper
  • QuestWorlds genre packs - various authors
  • The Dragonrise, the “offstage” material from The Eleven Lights, for HQG/QuestWorlds - Ian Cooper
  • Fonrit setting book for HQG/QuestWorlds - Ian Cooper

Non-Gloranthan RuneQuest publications

Mythic Iceland - using RQ rules but not set in Glorantha

Other Glorantha publications

• Glorantha Skirmish Wars - miniatures skirmish game from Mad Knight
  • White Bear & Red Moon new edition - on hold
  • Nomad Gods new edition - on hold
  • Trollball game with minis - Chaosium not working on this.
  • Wyrms Footnotes #16 - some articles submitted. slow progress. Would be PDF and POD when done.
  • Prince of Sartar (printed version of the online comic) - no new strips scheduled. POD version coming on chaosium.com

Upcoming reprints for existing products, officially confirmed

Apparently coming but no recent details, so probably some way off
Edited by Steve
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 4

• Scotty changed the title to Upcoming Glorantha publications
  • Scotty pinned this topic

I have also noted that all the upcoming releases listed have working titles; final published versions may have different titles, which will be publicized when the official release date is announced.

Items listed individually will be sold individually. Some items listed collectively as a single bullet point may be sold individually. Examples: Prax is a single bullet point but it may turn out to be two books that will be sold individually. Same might be true for the bullet point about Pavis and Big Rubble. They might turn out to be two books, and those 2 books would be sold individually.

NOTE: Slipcase sets are problematic right now, no matter how cool they may be. They add cost, increase likelihood of damage, and there is currently an ongoing cardboard shortage which means long wait times in many countries if you want something in a box or slipcase. For the RuneQuest line, I suggest just buying an extra empty RQ slipcase if slipcases are that big a deal for you..

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

11 hours ago, davey68uk said:

Regards the Prosopaedia, it does appear to be close to print and therefore ahead of the Gods books. Does this mean it will still be released as a slipcase set with the Gods books or is that no longer the plan? Just not sure whether to buy the Prosopaedia when it is released or wait for a full set. Thanks.

Regardless of what happens with the Prosopedia, we are not going to be selling it individually AND also as part of a slipcase set. It will be one or the other.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 3

Hope that Helps,

We expect that the cults material will be about 800 pages of material when layout is finished. Thus, it will be multiple books. That does not include the Prosopedia.

We doubt it will be a slipcase set. 

• Like 4
  • Helpful 3
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,

On 8/16/2022 at 4:46 PM, Nick Brooke said:

Re: handling difficulty, in this modern age it'll be pretty easy to print your own adventurer's cult from the PDF and keep a copy with your character sheet. That's what I'd do, anyway. Back in the dawn of Time I was suggesting multiple slim tomes rather than two monstrous books, but <shrug>.

You may very well get your wish Nick.

Monstrous coffee-table tomes may work for bespoke projects like the Guide to Glorantha, but they do not work well with newcomers. Newcomers seldom want to invest anywhere near that kind of money to "give the game a try". Sure, readers and collectors may really like them, but game shops and distributors do not. Few people make the leap when offered "try this new stuff by buying a $199 slipcase set"...

The Guide to Glorantha was a one-off project. It's cool. It's lovely. It was done by fans for fans back in the Moon Design as a hobby part-time business days. Quite frankly, if we did ever want to make that product mainstream accessible, we'd probably split it into 6+ regional volumes of 128-256 pages each. Once again, that works for newcomers, game shops and distributors. That approach potentially expands your market.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 2

Hope that Helps,

On 8/17/2022 at 7:34 PM, Oracle said:

Having the attention of @Rick Meintscurrently I would like to satisfy my curiosity a bit more. Is this (the Glorantha Quickstart) still something, that may happen, or has this superseded by the RQ Starter Set Book 2 Glorantha?

Yes, what was originally conceived as a 'Glorantha Quick-Start' essentially became the second book that is included in the RQ Starter Set. 

860151044_ScreenShot2022-08-20at9_47_30pm.thumb.png.534eedb7e70a443182bd66bf1babc746.png

• Like 1
  • Helpful 3
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

This a direct cut and paste from Jason on Facebook:

I get asked a lot to do video interviews and panels and usually a part of those is going through the list of current and upcoming Glorantha/RuneQuest products.
Like many, I don't have the time or energy to watch events like that, so here's a quick overview of what you should be seeing in the years to come:
Cults of Glorantha + Prosopaedia
Rune and Spirit Magic Spell Decks
Sartar
The Guide to Dragon Pass
Gamemaster Sourcebook
Mythic Iceland - using RQ rules but not set in Glorantha
The Dragon Pass Campaign
Jonstown Adventures (title may change, this is a followup to the Starter Set)
Elder Race Adventurers
The Upland Marsh
Adventurer's Journal
The Dreaming Ruin (another adventure anthology)
The Hunt for the Storm Calf (a one-off adventure based off Khan of Khans)
Prax
Into the Troll Realms
Sun Dome Temple sourcebook
Return to Snakepipe Hollow
The Dragon's Eye
Big Rubble
Pavis
The Culbrea Tribe
Elfpack
Heortland & Hendrikiland
HeroQuesting
Nochet & Esrolia
Kralorela
The Siege of Whitewall
"The Great Wagon Train Campaign" (title TBD)

There are at least five other books I am either not sure I can speak about, or might need to be re-assigned, but are definitely planned.
I can't give a schedule because so many things are outside my control. But if you want a visual metaphor for the current production pipeline, it's something like this:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Wow! I want It all! Just hope they don’t all land at once 🤣

That’s a great variety of products. Satisfying to see Notchet and south being explored thoroughly. 

Not that I’m a raving red moon  bat loving anti-Orlanthi cut throat, but will we see official material for the Lunar Empire added to that list at some point? How about the West? 

Very excited to see this list, lots to get my baboon claws into…

hey what’s the adventurers journal thing? 

• 2 weeks later...

Shannon Appelcline did submit the manuscript of Elf Pack - at least a preliminary one. As evidenced by: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RuneQuest/permalink/2119215734921081

Of course, much could have changed between then and now - e.g. he's doing revisions/edits, so the manuscript is not actually 100% in the submitted category. Apologies if this has already been dealt with at some point by someone else is the interwebz.

Is there anywhere I can read up on some of these products to be released, such as more info on what they are about, and any ideas of when they are expected to land.

I am new to Rune quest and started playing at the beginning of this year.

So far I have bought every 7th edition book on the Chaosium web site.

• Like 1

There are no dates. Chaosium are still seeing delays in printing and distribution so won't commit to a timescale. MIG III, Stafford House Campaign will probably be first, followed by the Cults book(s) and Prosopaedia. And everything else behind that.

For the Cults book(s), the best description of the content is spread throughout the discussion in the link below, but we now understand it to be multiple volumes rather than a mammoth two-volume package.

The list of cults and contents is roughly as shown here:

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/catalogue/publishers/chaosium/cults-of-glorantha-previews-2019/

Some of the art from that was shared here:

For some of the others, the RuneQuest group on Facebook has shared various extracts from the Sartar book, and several of the other works-in-progress, many of which are also to be found on the Well of Daliath website.

Edited by Brian Duguid
  • Like 1

--

The Silver best-selling The Children of Hykim offers over 150 pages on Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "An amazing labor of love" - Evan Franke, Exploring Glorantha. "A deep dive" - Joerg Baumgartner. "Excellent sourcebook, well-written and well-researched" - Niall Sullivan.

4 hours ago, General Ork said:

Is there anywhere I can read up on some of these products to be released, such as more info on what they are about, and any ideas of when they are expected to land.

The OP has 1-line descriptions for all the ones that are closest to ready.
Mostly, all of these (even the ones without the descriptions) are self-explanatory from their title.
I'm afraid you'll need to be a bit more specific as to what you want...

I don't think any of them have "back cover blurb" or "press-release" promo-material written yet (but I am not Chaosium, and could easily be mistaken).

The Cults book seems to be more than 2 huge books and the Prosopaedia. @Jeffis for example mentioning a "Lunar Cults book" on FB. Do you think that the books will be released when each of them is finished? Or will they be released all at the same time? 

The books have been "in layout" for quite a long time now so I guess that the decision must have been made a long time ago.

21 hours ago, g33k said:

The OP has 1-line descriptions for all the ones that are closest to ready.
Mostly, all of these (even the ones without the descriptions) are self-explanatory from their title.
I'm afraid you'll need to be a bit more specific as to what you want...

I don't think any of them have "back cover blurb" or "press-release" promo-material written yet (but I am not Chaosium, and could easily be mistaken).

Thank you for the answer. But what is the OP, I am unfamiliar with teh term.

4 minutes ago, General Ork said:

OP stands for original poster or original post (depending on the context). In this case it's the Original Post, the one at the top of the first page of this thread.

55 minutes ago, General Ork said:

As @Scotty specified (tyvm Scotty!)

"OP" is a widely-used internet'ism in threaded-conversation sites like forums, Facebook, etc.
(also:  "tyvm" = "thank you very much")