BRP Interplanetary

Jason D

Seems to me that the interplanetary romance genre had a lot of crossover with the lost world genre... IIRC John Carter was always finding the remnants of this or that old Mars civilization... Carson Napier found haunted alien ruins to wander through.

Similar to a lot of fantasy stories it seemed like the glory days of most of those exotic planets was in the past... with the hero often putting the final nails in the coffin... with some promised, less tyrannical future on the horizon.

Well Jason, I think you may have to just hunker down and make the time. >:->

If only it were that easy...

Seems to me that the interplanetary romance genre had a lot of crossover with the lost world genre... IIRC John Carter was always finding the remnants of this or that old Mars civilization... Carson Napier found haunted alien ruins to wander through.

Just as reassurance, the GM chapter deals with the tropes of the genre, covering subjects such as: The Lost World, Out of Time, The Unspoiled Garden, and A World of Ruins.

And just as an update, this holiday weekend saw a lot of progress on the manuscript, with more on vehicular combat, a new revision of the fencing rules based on playtest feedback, and the writing of the mutations Immortal, Incomplete, Independent Appendages, and Infested.

(Mutations are a big part of the weird science aspect of the book... an unfortunate byproduct of imperfect means of creating life.)

Is there going to be a design sequence as part of this that lets you design things like starships, vehicles, planets, etc using a procedural set of equations/tables? Or will these areas be dealt with in more of an advice method that tells you how to assign stats to these things without much math?

I guess my question is is this book going to be more of a how-to genre book, a setting specific book, a gearhead book, a mixture?

It is a how-to genre book with setting-specific material.

Cool! That's just what I'm hoping for... I'm a fan of all those GURPS sourcebooks that give you lots of tools for emulating a genre/setting and give you their example setting to play in/tweak/ignore.

Another quick update:

• Fencing schools have been added (to provide a context for the training human heroes may have had back on Earth)
  • Wrote mutations: Radioactive, Toxic Blood, Unnatural Appetite, and Unusual Skin (the latter two each have 8 and 10 varieties)
  • More work on Vehicular Combat

If anyone is wondering why I'm spending so much time on Mutations, it's because my hope is that it will become a default alien toolkit... so a GM can simply say "All of [insert name of species] have Hands, Natural Weapons, and Increased Characteristic (DEX)", for example.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Despite how awful this looks, I am morbidly curious:

Yah, their track record has been pretty dismal. But, as the "good Pixar/Disney version" is still a couple years away, I'm kinda looking forward to seeing it in a "road accident" kind of way myself.

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Hmmm. Martian flier looks OK, in a Star Wars rip-off kinda way. What I presume to be Tharks and their thoats aren't Burroughs-standard but may be good enough for casual movie-goers who haven't read the books (hard to tell). Traci Lords wouldn't have been my first pick for Deja Thoris; she surely isn't known for her acting ability. Whatzisname looks manly enough to be an ERB action hero but we don't know if he can act (or speak English). The badlands might work as a stand-in for Barsoom with appropriate matte paintings in the background. But the fact that it is a straight-to-video release doesn't raise my expectations. It might have been "good enough" had it been released in the '70s or early '80s, a double-feature with Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone. Let's hope Princess of Mars is at least a watchable B movie (and that the best isn't what we've already seen in the trailer).

Sigh. Three more years for the Disney/Pixar version. While a live-action version would be neat, I'd be happy with a well-written, reasonably faithful animated version of the Mars novels. We've seen what Disney can do with Atlantis and what Pixar can do with The Incredibles. Why not just avoid all the CGI and casting pitfalls and do what they do best?

Edited by seneschal

Sigh. Three more years for the Disney/Pixar version. While a live-action version would be neat, I'd be happy with a well-written, reasonably faithful animated version of the Mars novels. We've seen what Disney can do with Atlantis and what Pixar can do with The Incredibles. Why not just avoid all the CGI and casting pitfalls and do what they do best?

I will be the first in line for that film.

I will be the first in line for that film.

Awesome, seeing as you move every couple years or so, maybe you can move to New Hampshire and we can see it together. Crossing my fingers. :thumb:

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"