Lunar Empire....any adventures have characters belonging to Lunar Empire

MrHemlocks

Well, first off, welcome to the game and the board.

AFAIK, the vast majority of adventures are pretty standard... the characters dealing with physical and magical challenges that have little to do with politics. After all, when you've got a Broo in your face, who cares what side you're rooting for, right? Of those that have a distinct political or theological leaning, the vast majority are pro-Orlanthi. Most are written in such a way so that it's relatively easy to convert to a pro-Lunar stance by changing the patrons and allies.

We should also note the difference between 'Lunar-religious' and 'Lunar-political'. Even adventures set in post-Dragonrise Sartar can be pro-Lunar-religion to an extent. Sartar has a fair percentage of people and clans that converted to the Lunar Way during the Occupation, and adventures where some kind of accommodation can be reached where those people can worship without being harassed is certainly possible. One adventure in the Starter Set, 'A Fire In The Darkness', offers a great opportunity for adventurers to do just that.

27 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Simon Bray found it easy to repurpose existing RQG adventures for a Lunar party based in Tarsh.

That's pretty much what I said... many if not most of the published RQG adventures can be 'Lunar friendly' in one aspect or another.

Edited by svensson

11 hours ago, svensson said:

Yeah, a Tarshite campaign focusing on the 'Two F's War' (Fazzur v. Phargenetes) [😁] would be a worthwhile addition, I think.

Especially since many of the "standard Sartarite campaign" characters might want to interact with events in Tarsh by 1628 or so.  e.g., my Vinga worshipping PC has actually been in close contact with both Fazzur (Duel at Dangerford) and his son.  (A dalliance in Pavis)

Others might want to trade, explore, spy, or raid.  Lots of scenario options. 

Edited by Rodney Dangerduck
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Especially since many of the "standard Sartarite campaign" characters might want to interact with events in Tarsh by 1628 or so.  e.g., my Vinga worshipping PC has actually been in close contact with both Fazzur (Duel at Dangerford) and his son.  (A dalliance in Pavis)

Others might want to trade, explore, spy, or raid.  Lots of scenario options. 

Well, I see the inclusion of Vostor as a pregen PC as almost an invitation to do a campaign in Tarsh... it's got more conflict than Esrolia does, after all. Between the Lunar loyalists, the Old Traditionalists [and those folks are NOT you grandpa's Orlanthi, young initiate], the political hassles within the empire, and the epic defeats of the Dragonrise and Dangerford, it's absolutely screaming 'adventure'...

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 3:02 PM, svensson said:

OK, my 'head-canon' has now labelled the requested Tarsh campaign 'Fazzur, Maran Gor, Lunars', or 'FML' 😁

Oh quit it! Just cuz it's a little juvenile doesn't make it not funny....

Yes, it  is  funny!  Love it!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 7/26/2022 at 1:09 PM, svensson said:

Well, I see the inclusion of Vostor as a pregen PC as almost an invitation to do a campaign in Tarsh...

Agreed.  And other Lunar-origin PC's (even if the campaign isn't Lunar-centric)... Imperial-origin Sables(*), for example.  Other 7M cultists who aren't soldiers.  Etc, etc, etc.

The thing I think we haven't seen -- including in the Jonstown Compendium -- is what (I think) the OP was asking for:  adventures written with an implicit-Lunar POV & expectation of majority-Lunar PC's (maybe 1-2 oddity Lightbringer cultists, standing out like Vostor does among the Sartarite adventurers).  Maybe these would be "easy to adapt" to the Sartarite/Orlanthi POV, just as we say the existing adventures are "easy to adapt" to the Lunar Way.

###

(however...

On 7/26/2022 at 1:09 PM, svensson said:

... Tarsh [has] more conflict than Esrolia does, after all. Between the Lunar loyalists, the Old Traditionalists [and those folks are NOT you grandpa's Orlanthi, young initiate], the political hassles within the empire, and the epic defeats of the Dragonrise and Dangerford, it's absolutely screaming 'adventure'...

This one, I've got to disagree with.

What with the disappearance of Belintar, the competing Houses/Grandmothers, the various "<*> Earth Alliances," relations with the other Sixths, the Wolf Pirates and other Oceanic / Opening-related threats & opportunities, the ongoing Lunar pressure, the Necropolis, the sheer existence of a huge ancient -- but still thriving! -- metropolis like Nochet, the Eastern barbarian tribes, etc...  I think Esrolia "screams adventure"  at least  as loudly as Tarsh does!  (YGWV) )

(*) I've got a Lunar Sable, Plateau-born; a Charioteer by training, who was captured in Prax by non-Lunarized Sables, and spent some years with them.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

I had seen references to the Lunar Way being more popular in Britain.  If true that would indicate that there is  a lot of unpublished campaign material with a Lunar point of view.  Can anyone verify that?

There's been some Chinese Whispers about this, which I do my best to unpack in my first Gloranthan Manifesto, p.49.

At the Games Day convention in London in 1986, Sandy Petersen told a British audience that American gamers who were new to RuneQuest & Glorantha in the mid-eighties thought that the Lunars were the good guys and the Orlanthi were a terrible band of wreckers, based on their self-presentation in the Red Box's Voices. We smiled and nodded politely, because we'd all been playing since RQ2 times and knew that the Lunars are the baddies. 

The Reaching Moon Megacorp's house campaign was based around the Greydog Clan: all Orlanthi, no Lunars. We knew that the Lunars were baddies, but we didn't like them being one-dimensional baddies. Which is why we wrote so much interesting stuff about them, to give them depth and complexity and motivation. Some folk don't like that, which is fine, I just wish they were less boring about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

that American gamers who were new to RuneQuest & Glorantha in the mid-eighties thought that the Lunars were the good guys and the Orlanthi were a terrible band of wreckers

I was certainly among those Americans who preferred the Lunars over the troublemaking Orlanthi, hence I set my original campaign in Imther and diminished Orlanth to the role of Orlantio the trickster.

3 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

We knew that the Lunars were baddies, but we didn't like them being one-dimensional baddies. Which is why we wrote so much interesting stuff about them, to give them depth and complexity and motivation.

My Lunars were very mixed.  Generally the followers of Hwarin Dalthippa were seen very positively, while Etyries was supported by money-grubbing, ruthless merchants.

11 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

My Lunars were very mixed.  Generally the followers of Hwarin Dalthippa were seen very positively, while Etyries was supported by money-grubbing, ruthless merchants.

I add a big dose of wide-eyed gormless enthusiasm for the Next Big Thing to my Etyries cultists. They know in their heart that they’re building a new economic paradigm which has a Special Relationship with Time (TM), so they sound something like dotcom evangelists, Ponzi salesmen, bitcoin enthusiasts or enn eff tee boosters, especially compared to the more sedate Issaries merchants.

• Like 1

They know you can go from nothing to the Moon, if you just find the next big thing. There is the reminder all the time up there in the sky...

Issaries are willing to do the same thing for years. Boring...

What surprised me of the British-Lunars I met in Cons in the 90s was that you were moving from the Roman model (Life of Brian) to the British Empire as inspiration. I felt only the Brits could do it right. Or at least do a John Cleese's impersonation. The Romans did not really care about non-Romans, but the colonial administrators sincerely believed that they were improving things for everybody. Much more interesting as baddies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can certainly see opportunities for a Lunar Sartar campaign, just working inside the existing timeline, beginning pre-Dragonrisse and then having to cope with the collapse of all their dreams in Sartar.    I'd think the campaign progressing that way would be a downer for the players.  Whatever you build up for yourself will eventually be torn down by the Orlanthi: If you built your Etyries up to be a prosperous merchant in Boldhome, then Kallyr's army takes the city and mobs burn your shop. Now you are a refugee.  However is that any more negative than Orlanthi pre-Dragonrise, heavily taxed, oppressed, then Orlanth banned and the Great Winter?

1 hour ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

I can certainly see opportunities for a Lunar Sartar campaign, just working inside the existing timeline, beginning pre-Dragonrisse and then having to cope with the collapse of all their dreams in Sartar.

And it's not just Sartar - it's the entirety of the Lunar Provinces!  Why did Appius Luxius think he had to go off to Dragon Pass and muck up the entire Lunar Provincial Admin by getting eaten by a dragon???

Next thing you know not only is Sartar lost, but Aggar, Imther, and even Holay are in revolt, and the most critical administrative documents carried by Quinscion the Patient have been lost somewhere en route to Glamour.... Where's Halcyon Var Enkorth when you need him?

As someone said in a different franchise, "chaos isn't a pit: chaos is a ladder."

(Note the small C, bully-boys. Oh, sorry, you're illiterate)

As the Lunar Provinces, and indeed the Heartland Sultanates, fragment and descend into warlordism over the coming decades, I perceive great opportunities... for those who are willing to reach out and grasp them.

• Like 1

As the dart wars morph into real wars, the intermediate stages will produce more demand for Adventurers in the Lunar heartland.  Yes, I can see that.  But we need a Lunar Heartland sandbox campaign or two to put just a little meat on the existing skeleton description of the areas.

Now what is the likely situation and progression of those adventurers, in the spirit of RQiG's emphasis on community?

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Grammar.
  • Like 1