Oslira

Jose

4 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

But confusion is so much more enjoyable! Wouldn't you rather needlessly multiply entities, for the sheer joy of it, than take a razor to your creations?

To paraphrase Borges: The visible universe is an illusion or more precisely a sophism. Mirrors are abominable because the multiply and disseminate that universe! Take a razor and end that needly multiplication lest we end up in Tlön!

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2022 at 4:15 PM, JRE said:

I would be more strict, as Orlanth being associated with Oslira in Tarsh or Holay does not mean Oslira is an associate of Orlanth in Sartar. Or that an Orlanthi near Alkoth will be welcome to worship in an Oslira temple. Those are social aspects, rather than religious, but still important as you cannot worship if you are not allowed in. 

I use a rule of thumb. If it is likely there will be a small shrine to the associate in the temple, I allow associate worship. Otherwise, no. However if you are doing a globe trotting campaign, then recovering rune magic is more MGF than making it difficult, except when you want to stress the player and the character.

Engizi is a sure bet, however.

I'm not sure why it would be associated with Orlanth at all, I would have her associated with Shafesora, the rain goddess of Peloria instead and Entekos, gentle wind god of the Yelm pantheon. Wrong side of the mountains for Orlanth.

3 hours ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

I'm not sure why it would be associated with Orlanth at all, I would have her associated with Shafesora, the rain goddess of Peloria instead and Entekos, gentle wind god of the Yelm pantheon. Wrong side of the mountains for Orlanth.

Perhaps there are some Tarshite myths we have yet to hear. 

6 hours ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

I'm not sure why it would be associated with Orlanth at all

Where are her headwaters? Dragon Pass (also known there as Jaldon's Wrong River). What's the source of rain in Dragon Pass? Orlanth. 

3 hours ago, Ironwall said:

Perhaps there are some Tarshite myths we have yet to hear.

It's the Aroka myth. Orlanth frees Heler from the Dragon and nourishes Dragon Pass (and particularly the head of the Oslir) with its waters. 

• Like 1

Orlanth assisted in the "birth" or rebirth of Oslira when he broke the spine of Sshorg(a) with the Dragonspine. Orlanth is mythically dominant or at least present all the way to Jillaro at least, if only in his ursine or coonish incarnation downriver. Whether this midwifing earns him an associate position is a different question.

I have seen suggestions that Orlanth taming Oslira is a mythic equivalent of introducing irrigation in the Orlanthi lowlands on the upper Oslir.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

5 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Wait, there's an Orlanth the Raccoon?

The Vanchite ancestral totem is the Raccoon, and they are Orlanthi. Of course there would have been a raccoon aspect of the Storm King, just like the bear.

7 hours ago, Joerg said:

The Vanchite ancestral totem is the Raccoon, and they are Orlanthi. Of course there would have been a raccoon aspect of the Storm King, just like the bear.

Personally my Vanchite Raccoon God (Tunoral) pre-dates the arrival of Orlanthi/Lightbringers so is not simply an aspect of the Storm King. But the raccoon folk are very acquisitive and readily adopted the Storm pantheon when it arrived. 

The "thieving Vanchites" are focussing on the sneaky aspects of Orlanth Adventurous, possibly contributing one or two of his general feats.

Predating the Lightbringers is a given - they formed up only in the closing parts of the Greater Darkness, even though they show up in Orlanthi Storm Age myths from the start.

Any of the mammalian totem deities in the Theyalan belt are aspects of the Storm God, whether the boar of the Entruli, the bear of the Sylilings or the ram of those who would become the Vingkotlings. Or the goat god of the Imtherites. "Pre-dating" has a difficult meaning in Godtime anyway.

Orlanth has taken over the Storm King role pretty uncontested, with none of his brothers interested in royal authority (although fiercely competitive for the role of the alpha male). The most spectacular squabbles were between VIngkot and the Grizly god whose body makes up Grizly Peak (a place that should be rich in bronze as a consequence), and later on the pigs vs. rams conflict for Arrowmound.

The Jajalarings are maybe the least Storm King animal totem in Peloria. Humakt has wolves as allied totemic beasts, which might be another lost storm tribe with his severing from the Storm Tribe.

Oslira is much like Zola Fel except she gets different Rune Spells.  She provides all standard Rune Spells.  Obviously she gets Summon/Dismiss Water Elementals of all Sizes.  She also gets Breathe Air/Water. Command Crocodile, Command Fish, and her personal spells Flood and Control Flood.  Initiates can buy River Eyes and Glue at half price.  Associate cults give Command Water Bird, Bless Crops (Rice), Stabilize Earth, Heal Body, Cloud Call, Ride River Horse, Fear, Cloud Clear, and Float.

This info is taken from RQ: Gods of Glorantha preview edition, and may well be superseded when The Water Tribe Gods of Glorantha is released in the next couple of years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Darius West said:

Oslira is much like Zola Fel except she gets different Rune Spells.  She provides all standard Rune Spells.  Obviously she gets Summon/Dismiss Water Elementals of all Sizes.  She also gets Breathe Air/Water. Command Crocodile, Command Fish, and her personal spells Flood and Control Flood.  Initiates can buy River Eyes and Glue at half price.  Associate cults give Command Water Bird, Bless Crops (Rice), Stabilize Earth, Heal Body, Cloud Call, Ride River Horse, Fear, Cloud Clear, and Float.

This info is taken from RQ: Gods of Glorantha preview edition, and may well be superseded when The Water Tribe Gods of Glorantha is released in the next couple of years.

Is she friendly with the lightbringers pantheon?

12 minutes ago, kalidor said:

Is she friendly with the lightbringers pantheon?

She's an associate of Orlanth Thunderous (gets Cloud Call), so yes with him at least. I assume she gives Flood in return, like Engizi does, but I don't believe it's said anywhere.

Edited by Richard S.
  • Like 1