Best of luck to my American Friends!

Democracy is a lovely thing and you lucky folk down south get to exercise the rights that belonging brings tomorrow. Just think how many would love to have that chance, and here you are on the verge of casting a very important vote. I have had the honour of being a deputy returning officer for various elections over the decades, municipal, provincial and federal up here in the great cold north and being able to help folk to vote has been a great pleasure in my life. So, if y'all can, help an elderly relative get to the voting stations. Hold the door for the person after you to make them feel welcomed! Say hello to and wish the clerk taking your info a good day! Smile, someone earned you right, sometimes with their lives, to allow you this great privilege!

I hope everyone has a fantastically peaceful day and that everyone can be gracious in the victory or loss of their choices! 

Cheers!

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

I feel hopeful about the vote tomorrow, as an American. I've already turned my ballot in (thank goodness for universal voting by mail), so I have one less worry there, too!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

13 minutes ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

I heard American Election results are tomorrow!
And, as you might know, in Australia, it's already tomorrow! 😮
But, unfortunately, due to our secret agreements with the time lords I can't disclose the results... Just saying! 😮😄 

Excuse me Lloyd, as the Orlanthi said to the lunar... yer stealing my thunder! Telling jokes on my turf. Jeez Louise! And about Time Lords on top of it all, and... er, what's that... right sorry... the management has asked me to apologize and remember to be nice... sssooorrrrryyyyyy!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
misspelled sssooorrrrryyyyyy
  • Haha 2

We have a saying here in the States, one that I fully subscribe to and try to live up to:

"Democracy is held up by 4 boxes:

- The soap box of free speech

- The ballot box of an informed voter

- The jury box of doing your duty as a citizen

- And the ammo box of its defense."

Many people think there's something right-wing and threatening by that last one. There isn't. The defense of democracy certainly requires police and military personnel, but it also requires fact-checkers, it requires investigative reporting, it requires those willing to stand up and be heard. There are many different kinds of 'ammo' in this world, not just the kind that goes 'bang'.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 3

I have a general level of great good will to Americans.  I have met a great many Americans in my time, and they came from a great many places in the USA, from a diverse selection of backgrounds, and held a great many opinions that often dramatically differed from each other.  What I can say however is that they were all kindly and good humored folk, who were hospitable and well-meaning.  It concerns me that Americans don't tend to like each other or treat each other nearly well enough.  It worries the hell out of me that many of you live in fear of your fellow Americans, when it's only a miniscule proportion who are actually dangerous.  So, let me remind you that the only people who can destroy America is Americans.  Don't do it.  Try to find consensus with other people like folks did before the internet.  So, please, be kind to each other and try to see the other person's perspective, not just assume your side has all the answers, because nobody does.

I hope you have an honest, fair and safe election.

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I reflect on the last ten years of this world, it really seems we are at a crossroads. Peace and Democracy are fragile and always need to nurtured and worked on. The amount of hate, fear, anger, disgust towards 'others' has reached new heights. We face many existential crises in the 21st Century and Governments forget they are there for the people, not to maintain power at any cost.

I also hope the elections are safe and fair. I also hope that people vote for the candidate that can improve their lives rather than along tribal lines or to keep the 'others' out

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So here we are—a few good wishes, a little trepidation heavily tempered with hope, and a new election day dawns. Are we going to make a difference. I don't think so, but it is nice to see the BRPers united and wishing America well. And I am sure we are not alone in hoping that niceness wins this election. There are pockets all over the States where people are talking to each other and wishing each other well. But we are here so, thanks folk for being nice! Thanks for the hope, and thanks for taking time out of the reason we are all here. To see Bill make only one joke in a topic (who knew)... nope... great d100 gaming! Before I start to sound like I am on the stump (campaigning in an effort to garner votes and political support, for those not hip to American political jargon according to The Free Dictionary) I will just say good luck America.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

A new day dawns and war has not broken out... the armed polling stations did not occur (to the best of my knowledge). Votes were cast and though some egos were bruised democracy ticks ever forward. Valind's Glacier being a  neighbour, I can breath a sigh of relief and thank the gods and goddesses that good ol' fashion decency came out as a winner. I am positive that all was not perfect, and I think this thread is coming to a close, but as it is not closed... I will again ask that any further posts be kind and gentle. 

Cheers

• Like 1

As a general rule, I prefer a fairly even split between all parties in government. Giving one party the legislative, executive, and judicial mandate is a sure recipe for corruption and the legal erosion of rights of the citizen.

Yes, Bill, I know you think things are hunky dory in Manitoba and you're probably right... I most likely wouldn't like it there very much. You're happy there, and that's all that counts anyway. You're the one who has to live there, right?

But I strongly believe that a dissenting voice [that has legitimate concerns and has their facts straight -- QAnon types need not apply] is an absolute necessity in the preservation of democracy. Checks and balances are there for a reason, USE THEM. Remember, Adolf Hitler was legally elected into office with only a 33% majority in the vote.

From the looks of things, the Republicrats didn't make the huge gains they were hoping for. They'll probably get a VERY slim majority in Congress and the Senate will stay split. This leaves the POTUS [a Democlican's Democlican if ever there was one] to veto any truly stupid legislation that comes down the pike. In short, just about what I thought it would be.

What a lot of people don't understand about the American democracy is that only about 15% of our population calls themselves a 'party loyalist' on each side [15% Left and 15% Right]. Another 15-20% couldn't be bothered to vote if you gave away free money with a valid ballot. So it's that roughly 50% of 'Purple' [kinda Red, kinda Blue] voters that actually matter. These are the people who will elect you or boot your ass if you mess up. I have no idea about Canada, but as I understand it, the UK has more parties but a larger proportion of the population that consider themselves diehard Libs or Tories. British folks, correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

• Sad 2

On 11/9/2022 at 2:18 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

I will again ask that any further posts be kind and gentle. 

That does not sound too gentle, svensson. Can any further posts please be kind and gentle.

25 minutes ago, svensson said:

British folks, correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Please don't.

• Haha 1

Well, I replied to you PM, but I'll repeat the important part here.

The 06JAN riot gave a lot of people around the world the wrong impression about the US. Don't mistake me, I completely understand why they came to that conclusion, but nevertheless it is a mistaken one. Let me be clear:

The US is not one incident away from mass political anarchy.

My intention with my post was to inform, not to criticize. OK, I don't have a lot of respect for the Big Two US parties, but that's about as far as the hyperbole went. It really is the voters in the middle that decide things in US elections, the Center /Moderates that I happily identify myself with. I'm willing to give anyone on the stump a fair hearing, but they'd better be able to answer my questions  and I tend to keep track of their performance on issues of concern to me.  And let me be clear about that part:

At no point have I ever, or would I ever, vote for a candidate who sought to reduce or eliminate the rights of any lawful citizen of my country. I wholeheartedly believe that there is plenty of room at the table for everyone. What's more, I also believe that we [American society as a whole] has a ways to go to make the promise of our Constitution a reality for every citizen, all the time. And every two years I put my vote where my mouth is and vote on candidates accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just food for thoughts.. how can you both
1. identify yourself as moderate/center
2. do not like either major party

I ask because being moderate/center, in effect, will make you vote in a way that will keep things just as they are, i.e. will keep both those major party in power and balance just as they are.
I guess that's the politic of the "better the devil you know"...

caveat, keeping things just as they are.. might very well be keeping them on track for a future you will like even less...

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

2 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Just food for thoughts.. how can you both
1. identify yourself as moderate/center
2. do not like either major party

It's pretty easy to think that both major parties are drifting toward respective extremes, leaving an moderate middle unserved by any party.

Some will also think, "well, kind of ... but  'the partisan problem'  is much worse with those guys" (note that this occurs on both sides).

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig